Play to win servers instead of Pay to win.

smoochy boys on tour

1westy1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 10, 2004
I'd have signed up to the Patreon even if I couldn't get access to the server for it.

It's a tiny £3 a month to support something I know I am going to put a load of hours into.

Getting access to the server is both just a bonus, and a way to help test, find bugs, and hopefully contribute to speeding up the process plus making it a better final product. All while helping avoid "Pay to win".

Is someone really trying to give **** about that?

• Love
Reactions: Sanjian

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
and imagine a world where people reported bugs because they wants a bug free server.... gosh i must be so greedy....

I can name a few ppl that actively help massively reporting bugs. For free, out of the love of playing the game.

Your content looks lush, and unfortunately ppl gonna steal it no doubt, I don’t agree with beta “test server” £. But u may as well get some dosh for the countless hours u have put in to achieve this. Before it gets ripped a new a hole.

If you want me honest opinion…don’t release it publicly lol. Play it with your mates and post videos of how good it is

Haha @Sanjian no 🥕 needed. I would never host another not even if someone handed me a grand right now. I just no ppl have said there waiting for u to release before they rip content. It’s easily done and not fair. I have been handed countless content. Mailing lists. Ppls code and GUI.

I think it would be funny and justful for u to just keep it for your mate and self.

Make the rippers cry

Last edited:
  • Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: Tai and Sanjian

SPL1FF

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Banshee
Game Master
Mar 24, 2003
Elites prob only server thats not been pay to win, tho always gonna get people who pay for items or levelers so thats as good as itll get
Paying for VIP does give you access to similar benefits that you can usually purchase in-game shops. I, by all means, don't class it as a pay-to-win server but if being able to purchase game boosts of any kind is considered P2W as some people are making out, then Elite is as P2W as Banshee was.

Perhaps we should come up with some kind of P2W ranking system, where OS and similar servers would rank in the top bracket, and servers such as Elite would rank lowest :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: zedina and Lose

mistodon

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 16, 2003
Ben's UC dropped by half in 2 days 😂 must off been some **** show going on for half the UC to jump ship. I think Ben's attitude is the problem for most, the just "pay to win yourself" which is great for him as he is making 20%, commission on player to player micro transactions 🙈 Which I will take a wild guess, now UC has halved it will go up to 30%.

All servers have a p2w aspect to them, elite has monthly subscription for a slight exp boost, and all other servers have exp pots in GS. It's the having to roll items and **** for slots which is what most people care about. It's proper predatory. If you don't spend then you don't compete at the top..That **** needs to be flagged up straight away on any new server advertisement, a big black avoid tag. Or just plain and simply stick CashCow on it.

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Elites prob only server thats not been pay to win, tho always gonna get people who pay for items or levelers so thats as good as itll get

But it has a Subscription that offers a tangible benefit in game.. 🤔 - its still Pay2Win just a very minor advancement... a cow is still a cow if it doesn't produce enough milk to be milked commercially (Normally you just flog these at market for dog food). Now I'm not saying Win is in same group as Jamie, Bon, Gena, Jesus, Valk, Arcaida, P69 or Chrons, but his server is still Pay2Win.

Call it what you like, there are very few servers that take money for no tangible ingame benefits, and reality is, the motivation of these server owners quickly diminishes with the attitude of this community. So wanting a few ££ to put up with the daily **** on discord is in my opinion fair game, and if you're foolish enough to spend your Childs Christmas money on it.. its not the server owners fault. Cant blame Tescos for making me fat now can i...
Post automatically merged:

Perhaps we should come up with some kind of P2W ranking system, where OS and similar servers would rank in the top bracket, and servers such as Elite would rank lowest :ROFLMAO:

Now this is not a bad idea.. perhaps the rule for Gameshops to be published on advert should be revised to state what sort of items are available, and whether or not these are available just on Gameshop currency, or ingame currency also.

Ie.

Kits (Armours, Weapons, Jewlery)
Permanent Buffs
Temporary Buffs
Mounts
Pets
VIP Questlines
Loot Boxes
Pokemon Cards (or w/e @sanjan made)

Last edited:
Reactions: Netskee

grimchamp

LOMCN Developer
Developer
May 16, 2005
You could put an api in the server that something like mirstats could hit and extract gameshop data..

JoeDunn

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Don't like it don't play the servers. As much as I hate p2w bull crap and the retarded crap bon is pulling nobody should be banned for having a ridiculous game shop. It's down to us as players to stop paying stupid prices and letting morons like bon take the community for a ride

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Don't like it don't play the servers. As much as I hate p2w bull crap and the retarded crap bon is pulling nobody should be banned for having a ridiculous game shop. It's down to us as players to stop paying stupid prices and letting morons like bon take the community for a ride
Pretty much hit the nail on the head.

We can all see a cashcow when we see one. Plenty of people warned others about a specific server yet everyone still goes there, throwing money at it in the first few weeks as usual.

If you don't like what a server is doing, just don't play it. Stopping them advertising won't work. The only thing that will, is when the money dries up.

Vaynes

Banned
Banned
Mar 4, 2022
Probably have to be fair to both sides, I am yet to see a server with good content that doesn't have p2w aspects. Money is a strong motivator however people like Gena and Bon just take the piss. But like someone said, it's the community also. We all work now, and when you can see a way of keeping up just by spending some money - most do it.

mistodon

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 16, 2003
People play these servers as the mir population have the hurd mentality. Just jumping ship to go with the UC
Even on to absolute **** show servers where everyone knows its all about the GM making as much money as possible them first 4-6 weeks. I don't even have a problem with a p2w aspect off a GS to much.. it's the predatory cash grabbing which is now in fluxed the game with apoc and now the re hashed apoc, Ben's server. Making you pay silly money to get slotted items to compete. They have took cash grab to whole higher lvl.

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
People play these servers as the mir population have the hurd mentality. Just jumping ship to go with the UC
Even on to absolute **** show servers where everyone knows its all about the GM making as much money as possible them first 4-6 weeks. I don't even have a problem with a p2w aspect off a GS to much.. it's the predatory cash grabbing which is now in fluxed the game with apoc and now the re hashed apoc, Ben's server. Making you pay silly money to get slotted items to compete. They have took cash grab to whole higher lvl.
Some people need to go look the other way man.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Surely @Sanjian way of doing it is to play to win, it's just rewarding those who really want to play/contribute, Can't think of any free game out there that doesn't have some sort of built-in currency/battle pass sort of system, need a server to come out with splash plastic payments only ;)

Everything I do on LOMCN, I do for free, have done, and always will do tbh, I wish I got into coding as a kid, as I'd be doing stuff constantly on here haha,

I'm a bit gutted as much as it's only £3, and it's not that much in theory, as long as he still has a package once live that's £3 I don't see any issue at all really, I personally will not go for it, I show my support for all servers good (and unfortunately sometimes bad) via the forums do the odd Facebook Post, discord announcement, or notification push via the forums, every little helps, all people have to do is ask, same with the showcase forums, which we got sorted.. eventually ;)

The only downside to doing it this way is that I miss out on playing/testing all the content, I don't have much time to play anyway, but luckily he shares a lot of features in the showcase, and I can only hope someone lives stream it when it's released so I get to view a bit more of it.

If you happen to live stream while also in the lomcn discord, it does tell people, in the #stream section, and your name is also moved up in the list on the right-hand side, so people can find it easier.

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
Surely @Sanjian way of doing it is to play to win, it's just rewarding those who really want to play/contribute, Can't think of any free game out there that doesn't have some sort of built-in currency/battle pass sort of system, need a server to come out with splash plastic payments only ;)

Everything I do on LOMCN, I do for free, have done, and always will do tbh, I wish I got into coding as a kid, as I'd be doing stuff constantly on here haha,

I'm a bit gutted as much as it's only £3, and it's not that much in theory, as long as he still has a package once live that's £3 I don't see any issue at all really, I personally will not go for it, I show my support for all servers good (and unfortunately sometimes bad) via the forums do the odd Facebook Post, discord announcement, or notification push via the forums, every little helps, all people have to do is ask, same with the showcase forums, which we got sorted.. eventually ;)

The only downside to doing it this way is that I miss out on playing/testing all the content, I don't have much time to play anyway, but luckily he shares a lot of features in the showcase, and I can only hope someone lives stream it when it's released so I get to view a bit more of it.

If you happen to live stream while also in the lomcn discord, it does tell people, in the #stream section, and your name is also moved up in the list on the right-hand side, so people can find it easier.
you said it IS play to win then counter with its just.. so a little confused if you feel that im charging people to play a beta which ive been accused of which is pretty commical from people who hide behind fake accounts but such is life.

i had 3 ways of doing my server, 1 was pay to play with no way of buying of gamegold. the other was to make it all free but allow people to buy gamegold and the final option was to just give up because im sick of the toxic pricks in the community and keep it a closed door project for myself to play.

the whole reason i make servers is because there arnt servers out there that i want to play its really that simple. why cant i do it all for free? because i simply cannot afford the server costs monthly, which some people have no problem with and have great financial stablity, i dont live in that world, i live hand to mouth, have done all my life.

now i could take option number 2 and make a lot more money as people throw cash into servers to buy gamegold and eat out the gameshop, i know this because of how the last server did.

i didnt like that option because its just not fair, in terms of the casual player.

so this time i decided to make it a pay to play server, you donate monthly to my patreon and ill give you access, there will be 3 tiers people can choose from, basic, intemmidiate and full. there is no way to buy gamegold, it has to be earned in game through hunting and questing/events/drops.

the tiers provide a monthly limit of 0, 1000 or 1500 hunt tokens (game gold) but thats it, once its gone its gone. the full supporters tier will provide a 5% exp buff.

i have over the last 2-3 months been thinking about the tiers of donation and i have scrapped them and remade them time and time again.

im not financially driven but the server has to cover its own costs or the servers gone, its that simple.

people have offered me free hosting but as much as i am very thankful to all of them, i dont trust anyone. we dont know each other. im just some guy sat infornt of a kb typing this that no one actually knows or lets be honest gives a **** about, the only time we ever come together as a community is when one of us end up in a wardrobe taking thier own life because they felt that had no way out of whatever it is they are going through, which is so tragic when you stop typing and actually think about that for a minute.

thats how this place is, if i didnt love the game i would have been gone a long time ago, i hate the toxic community of mir, i hate the players that feel its okay to berate, steal, hurt and down righ treat other people like ****.

TL : DR
server will be pay to play (i really dont care about people saying its a free game, hasnet been free for me to make what i have), might have 3 tiers of choices with increasing bonuses, might not, havent decided on the final cost.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I have no idea on revenue structure or anything that side for Primordial; but seen a variety of interesting options.

@Sanjian pay to play makes sense, and in all honesty will only create a strong community within your server.
People are there because they want to be there, not because it's there if that makes sense?

I don't doubt your server will self sustain on your model, and even though we aren't driven by it, I hope you do get a few quid in your back pocket from it, as you deserve it with all the effort you put in pal.
Post automatically merged:

people have offered me free hosting but as much as i am very thankful to all of them, i dont trust anyone. we dont know each other.
I am very much with this, I really would love to expand my team out to more people, but me, @StormHero, previously Pete107 and other outside help have all worked on this source (or previous renditions of it) since 2016!.... tons of time, effort and $ behind it.

I know I will get someone in on the team and they either steal the code, or under handed stuff server side and I can't have that against my server's rep. (Paranoid maybe, but meh!)

Reactions: Netskee and Sanjian

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
you said it IS play to win then counter with its just.. so a little confused if you feel that im charging people to play a beta which ive been accused of which is pretty commical from people who hide behind fake accounts but such is life.

i had 3 ways of doing my server, 1 was pay to play with no way of buying of gamegold. the other was to make it all free but allow people to buy gamegold and the final option was to just give up because im sick of the toxic pricks in the community and keep it a closed door project for myself to play.

the whole reason i make servers is because there arnt servers out there that i want to play its really that simple. why cant i do it all for free? because i simply cannot afford the server costs monthly, which some people have no problem with and have great financial stablity, i dont live in that world, i live hand to mouth, have done all my life.

now i could take option number 2 and make a lot more money as people throw cash into servers to buy gamegold and eat out the gameshop, i know this because of how the last server did.

i didnt like that option because its just not fair, in terms of the casual player.

so this time i decided to make it a pay to play server, you donate monthly to my patreon and ill give you access, there will be 3 tiers people can choose from, basic, intemmidiate and full. there is no way to buy gamegold, it has to be earned in game through hunting and questing/events/drops.

the tiers provide a monthly limit of 0, 1000 or 1500 hunt tokens (game gold) but thats it, once its gone its gone. the full supporters tier will provide a 5% exp buff.

i have over the last 2-3 months been thinking about the tiers of donation and i have scrapped them and remade them time and time again.

im not financially driven but the server has to cover its own costs or the servers gone, its that simple.

people have offered me free hosting but as much as i am very thankful to all of them, i dont trust anyone. we dont know each other. im just some guy sat infornt of a kb typing this that no one actually knows or lets be honest gives a **** about, the only time we ever come together as a community is when one of us end up in a wardrobe taking thier own life because they felt that had no way out of whatever it is they are going through, which is so tragic when you stop typing and actually think about that for a minute.

thats how this place is, if i didnt love the game i would have been gone a long time ago, i hate the toxic community of mir, i hate the players that feel its okay to berate, steal, hurt and down righ treat other people like ****.

TL : DR
server will be pay to play (i really dont care about people saying its a free game, hasnet been free for me to make what i have), might have 3 tiers of choices with increasing bonuses, might not, havent decided on the final cost.
It always baffles me when a cash cow opens everyone justify the need to play even when is clearly a cashcow, however when someone really wants to build a server and a great community arounds it, gets judged or spammed with demands.

Yet, those who justify and support cashcows, when the nail hit the coffin, and the cashcow dies, comes to those other server owners who really cut their prices in GS ( in my case , I cut drastically the prices ) or uses Subscription Buff ( Win - Elite ) or Subscription Services ( Sanjian )) and demand changes, demands systems, demands X Y Z.

Yes, let's not act like we as server owners are saints when it comes to the financial side of holding a server. You need funds to pay the host, pay the code services if you have a developer working on it, and in the end the time you spend on the server.

However, I can say for me personally and I think other server owners feels the same regarding this:
- Its funny how every time a cashcow appears, and the owner fidgets the players with the eternal "OMG THIS TIME IS DIFFERENT", they (players) take the bait, spend a **** ton of money, get angry, go on a "cheap" (gg prices / gs server), calm down , new cashcow appears, repeat. Yet when someone tries to do something fair and non massively p2w to the community - gets looked at like is doing something wrong or is planning to scam (just like the normality is p2w 2-3 months timespan servers and the abnormaly is a server that tries to have fair prices and services)

Just like the way someone said that Wins 5% subscription buff is p2w as Oldskool. Image the "principles" that person stood on when it typed that gibberish.

Is like comparing a soft death with a gore and brutally one. But in the end you would still say "oh, is just a death as a normal one" :sick:
:sick::geek::poop:

I used to blame LOMCN for this along the years but LOMCN is not at fault on this one, the only one to blame is the players that they keep supporting cashcows.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

Bruh if you wanna play we'll fund you :LOL:

Fill out an expense form and mail it to [email protected]

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
Damn, shame you will get a negative flag against the server from LOMCN for this.

:cry:
i dont think i will, i dont see LOMCN as some authoritarian company that dont like critisism, i wouldnt be here if i did.

i think im just tired and drained from all the bullshit that comes with being a server developer, i just want to play the game lol

Reactions: Netskee

Scampi

Banned
Banned
Mar 23, 2009
i dont think i will, i dont see LOMCN as some authoritarian company that dont like critisism, i wouldnt be here if i did.

i think im just tired and drained from all the bullshit that comes with being a server developer, i just want to play the game lol

Oh we have a negative flag for it.
Thought it must be LOMCN policy as otherwise it would suggest it is in fact a reaction to criticism.

The thing with Mir is that it's more MMO than RPG. Not really a game that can be fully enjoyed alone, so you have to accept the bullshit and ridiculous vocal side of the community.

Perhaps the server creation side is more enjoyable than the live server running side though.

Reactions: Lose and Omnibus