smoochy boys on tour

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Genuinely curious on this one.

Does a website for a server, make it more appealing to you?

I am just asking as our last server did, this one (currently) doesn't.
I can get one together pretty damn quick, but I am curious whether it makes a difference to you whether or not it has a website?

I've never seen the need unless it provides some form of function (such as a linked marketplace).

Reactions: Pusha

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
Banshee website was nice!

Also good for maybe having in game screenshots (I remember GNonline used to do screenshot of the month)
Rankings
Story
Base item stats/level requirements
Gamegold shop

Reactions: LightBringer

Fusion

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Ireland
I like websites, always remember zentaur website had screens and info on systems etc, could see people getting titles and had forum could catch up on topics, but now it's way to easy to post on discord and so much chat it's hard to catch up and if you miss a topic a descion can be made with a few people having a input.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I myself don't visit server's website unless it has game download link that is not posted here or the link here is outdated and there is note directing you to a website. Once I do visit the game's website, I can appreciate if it has nice spiffy appearance but usually there is no reason to return there at later times even when it does have some changing content.

That panel window in the game launcher requires a website to exist if some live content (beyond showing just a static image) is to be displayed in it because the content if fed from it? I don't play servers lately but recall some that had this panel even scrollable and with links to change page. Probably only useful for patch info and server news display. Personally I would find it too onerous to visit the game's website just to check on this info.

Sometimes I click on the ingame bulletin board found next to SZ but that usually has a static message that is hardly ever changed for the life of the server. Had a dream how it would open a large panel window in game with live website content, maybe even a forum to post in. No idea if that would be possible to implement.

You can say, why bother when you can open a discord or a website outside the game, some folks may even have second monitor and keep an eye on the game while posting on discord... but ingame panel would lead to a much better game experience.
Also on discord you likely get many pple posting who didn't even fire up their game client that day or even who stopped playing the server but find the discord chat a good way to spend some time on anyway, filling it with inane chat exchanges. If you had them chatting ingame, at least that would keep up your 'user count' statistic.

I plain dislike discord as such regardless of the chat, it has a disorienting interface and dumb looks, dumb bots and dumb icons, pestering 'system' notices and really everything about it is esthetically unappealing.

Reactions: IHaveALongName

ventus

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
Make a website if you want to keep it up long-term, if only up for a few months then no point.

Show players online, levels, rankings, guides, wiki stuffs.

IHaveALongName

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Sep 8, 2012
Qatar
I don't recommend it tbh
you can always update, post guides on discord/lomcn
( with the same exact perks/benefits you gain from building a website + saving a couple of quids )

The only reason i am using my website is because i have a 2 year contract with them lol
its kind of useful for the autopatcher website projecting tho

1713075486626.png

Reactions: mir2pion