Affero GPL

Join Discord

Skunkmeister

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 10, 2007
news story
site

basically a new version of gpl that means modifications to server side code have to be publicly avaliable. i believe it still accounts for security-centred code, you can keep encryption algorithms etc closed source, provided that you release binaries ofcourse. i still need to have a proper read through of the license itself, no other modification is mentioned but im sure theres plenty.

mapadale

news story
site

basically a new version of gpl that means modifications to server side code have to be publicly avaliable. i believe it still accounts for security-centred code, you can keep encryption algorithms etc closed source, provided that you release binaries ofcourse. i still need to have a proper read through of the license itself, no other modification is mentioned but im sure theres plenty.
If this is to do with having or owning source for mir3, the GNU and GPL don't apply to this concept as its not free bassed source code.

Skunkmeister

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 10, 2007
yeah you both missed the point, this is for the upcomming development involving mir3, and i think it does have something to do with open source software such as Unleashed ;)

edit: ill be a little more descriptive. using this liscense for an open source game client/server would mean anyone who was to modify the server code, add new features etc., and then used the modified server code for a live server, they would also have to make the source code for the modified server avaliable.

the only exception being, if no non-security-focused code has been changed (i.e. you download server xyz, change the IV's and Key algorithms, re-compile and open a server using the code, you need not make those changes avaliable, as long as a binary version is provided)

as for the specifics on the binaries you must release im not sure if you can dotfuscate or pack the exe, i dont see any problems, its an integeral part of the liscence to protect developers products where security is a problem

so to sum up, you wont get 10,000 threads asking how x server does x that has nothing to do with you & arseholes who cant, wont or dont share as you so niceley did for them can face the wrath of the suits, who see it as an "open and shut. thankyou! wheres my money?" :)

Last edited:

mapadale

yeah you both missed the point, this is for the upcomming development involving mir3, and i think it does have something to do with open source software such as Unleashed ;)

edit: ill be a little more descriptive. using this liscense for an open source game client/server would mean anyone who was to modify the server code, add new features etc., and then used the modified server code for a live server, they would also have to make the source code for the modified server avaliable.

the only exception being, if no non-security-focused code has been changed (i.e. you download server xyz, change the IV's and Key algorithms, re-compile and open a server using the code, you need not make those changes avaliable, as long as a binary version is provided)

as for the specifics on the binaries you must release im not sure if you can dotfuscate or pack the exe, i dont see any problems, its an integeral part of the liscence to protect developers products where security is a problem

so to sum up, you wont get 10,000 threads asking how x server does x that has nothing to do with you & arseholes who cant, wont or dont share as you so niceley did for them can face the wrath of the suits, who see it as an "open and shut. thankyou! wheres my money?" :)
As I said though, if this is with in corrispondence to the fact that server owners don't release work that has been done or moddified. Then as I said, for game such as Mir and other associated type games, the source code does not fall under the GPL as its not "open" released code from the original authors.

As for suing those that dont release certain aspects if they do have part of a source under the GPL, there is no stipulation that they have to release anything, espeically if the source that they have modded is to be used in conjunction with other running software.

I would go read the full GPL statement and not just snippets of it first.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
i believe dm2 was actually released under GPL. but really who cares about legality? mir servers are illegal as it is (maybe not one made from scatch) but if ppl dont want to release their source, they wont, simple as. take thdeath for example.

Skunkmeister

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 10, 2007
how many times do i need to point out im talking about a FUTURE mir 3 project? if i release the project under the license it would mean those wishing to use it would have to share thier modifications. given the general maturity level and past events with mir people though i doubt 1/2 even give a **** about things like the law and plagarism.

why do you even think anyone would believe the license applies to the official code, or every server, im not a ****ing retard, i thought that was obvious. maybe another 6months and you wont all want to slag me and my intelligence off with every post.

edit: @mapadale: its a new license seperate from the GNU General GPL, the original GPL states modified source must be provided if the binaries are public, but server binaries dont need to be public to be used as a public service, Affero GPL states that modified source must be provided for binaries avliable to the public either as a download or a service (i.e. a mir3 server coded by me & released under affero, or a linux distro released under affero that google modifies to do search queries, but no not the friggin official code). on the legal side, even though tecnically it is open and shut, FOSS does get looked upon as a bunch of hippies sometimes by the justice system.

Last edited:

mapadale

how many times do i need to point out im talking about a FUTURE mir 3 project? if i release the project under the license it would mean those wishing to use it would have to share thier modifications. given the general maturity level and past events with mir people though i doubt 1/2 even give a **** about things like the law and plagarism.

why do you even think anyone would believe the license applies to the official code, or every server, im not a ****ing retard, i thought that was obvious. maybe another 6months and you wont all want to slag me and my intelligence off with every post.

edit: @mapadale: its a new license seperate from the GNU General GPL, the original GPL states modified source must be provided if the binaries are public, but server binaries dont need to be public to be used as a public service, Affero GPL states that modified source must be provided for binaries avliable to the public either as a download or a service (i.e. a mir3 server coded by me & released under affero, or a linux distro released under affero that google modifies to do search queries, but no not the friggin official code). on the legal side, even though tecnically it is open and shut, FOSS does get looked upon as a bunch of hippies sometimes by the justice system.
And you don't seem to get what im saying.

The source for Mir3 does not fall under the GPL, as its not produced under the GPL. So no, if you create a working running mir server from original source even if you do it under the GPL. No team has to release anything, even if they did modify parts of it.

This is why i said go read the GNU GPL fully instead of reading snippets.

No body is insulting your intelligence, but you need to get everything correct before making a statement like this. Have you not realised that most here have been working towards things like you have out lined. You can't build up an entire new mir server from using source code without it falling under copy right. You can build ur own emulators and such under the GPL, but not the actuall gaming source itself. As it doesn't belong to you or anyone here apart from the original creators, which is wemade.

Also distributing a game as your own under the GPL but using source thats not your own can lead you into serious ****.

Skunkmeister

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 10, 2007
the source is 100% my own, even where another source has been "used" it is not a copy & paste job, and i havent used the code, or even snippets (most of the DX reference code is in C# anyway, so its all been re-written into VB). there are a few components based on the unleashed sources which bear no resemblance to the original code, the socket server is one, where i only used unleashed to get the .net socket calls correct. i do not have any official source code. most of the work is being done by looking at the official client, and the CruelDragon DB.

be assured, i get my code ripped, not the other way around :p

mapadale

the source is 100% my own, even where another source has been "used" it is not a copy & paste job, and i havent used the code, or even snippets (most of the DX reference code is in C# anyway, so its all been re-written into VB). there are a few components based on the unleashed sources which bear no resemblance to the original code, the socket server is one, where i only used unleashed to get the .net socket calls correct. i do not have any official source code. most of the work is being done by looking at the official client, and the CruelDragon DB.

be assured, i get my code ripped, not the other way around :p
The thing is though you cant host a legend of mir server as a public server under the GPL as you dont own the copy write and so would still be classed as a private server and this is the same for all games that are created, using the idea/s of other games.

Though it would be great to see a public server, that bosts a lot more than the official server and private server all together.

Last edited:

Skunkmeister

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 10, 2007
i swear my posts disappear n stuff, neway..

i do own the copyright to my code
i do not own the copyright to the data files

"The Program" refers to any copyrightable work licensed under this License. Each licensee is addressed as "you". "Licensees" and "recipients" may be individuals or organizations

my program is the copywritable work

this license, it must be pointed out is for the servers which as i recall do not come with any data files, you simply copy the maps from the client (well thats how its done on the "real" servers)

so at most its a case of 2 seperate downloads 4 the client & data... ok ill mention something else, i had one of those flash of light moments reading a comment along the lines of: "runscape has 1mill players and mir has what? 700? why?!?", now it could be the spores from the shrooms we left in the fridge, but i think i know and have the soloution, which just so happens to be the soloution here. so first off, ill mention i have my mil format for super fast loading, but its also 1/2 the size, 38.3m>18.0m, it kinda varys with the compression, but my idea was to make the client download avaliable on the website, and then download all the data n stuff over the autopatch. im sure with some outer compression i can get the whole game significantly smaller, and for the runescape type, who are those wont download anything over 20meg theyll download the client and bam then they see 300meg (with wil wed be talkin 1g+) but hopefully theyve already come far enough to complete

basically people play runscape because they dont wanna download a 1gig client, or anything tbh

i think ill be leaving it to the server owners to build the mil files anyway

could you even apply the gpl to a data file anyway?