Folder Stuck in read-only

Yetiman

This only came to my attention recently as i am trying to do something so i thought you could help me. I run Windows XP and i notice that all my folders are read-only. So when i try and un-assign the read only and click apply everything seems fine. I then click ok and leave the properties of the specified folder. I open up the properties again on the same folder to see if it has worked and it's back on read only. It's not just a simple tick, it seems like it's also shaded too. Maybe you could shed some light on this issue.

SilentDragz

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 29, 2003
Darlington, UK
If it's shaded that means that either some of the folders you selected (if you selected multiple folders) or at least one of the subfolders or files are read only.

Yetiman

i am actually trying to select the mirserver folder so i need to change it from read only in order for it to function the account creation properly

Yetiman

Just C:\

But please note that it is every single folder in my computer that suffers from the same symptom too.

LeoCrasher

Also have you tried resetting the file attributes using the Command Prompt?

Type:
Attrib /?
for more info.

/Leo

Yetiman

urbanfox said:
so ur on admin account, and u got to folder properties and uncheck read only and if it asks u to do that to all subfolders/files etc u say yes and when u got back it still is on read only?

That is the exact discription of my problem. Can you help me out. I can only work out changing files with Leocrasher's way not the folders.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
off the top of my head i cant say i can help ya, havent seen the machine. if ur on bb, and u want me too, i can take control of it via some sort of server utility or even xp remote assistance. its safe and i promise i wont do anything. besides ull be right there

Sooden

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 21, 2003
in the hole i'm digging
Probably wrong but worth a try

1. have you check that your admin account has full access (Don’t know if you can restrict adim lol)

2. Have you tried disabling Virus checker. They may stop Modifications