How to display Chinese file names ¦½¦µ++¦p-++n¦Ñ+·-·++¦-

smoochy boys on tour

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
My win10 can display Chinese characters in browser and in Explorer and in all programs, including VS but I keep coming over some files that display only ASCII garbage. Like I open zip file that shows Chinese symbols but inside, even still in the archive rar program, I see folders with this garbage and it extracts like that too. What gives?

1678472981342.png 1678472193541.png

Text files with this garbage name are ok inside, just the title is all a mess.
1678472797012.png

I am aware that is has to do with encoding types (all that utf-8 talk and such stuff) but really don't know pretty well anything about it.

Is there some windows system setting to fix this? I tried to search but any results are geeky talk that don't even quite deal with the same thing.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Found solution by pure luck, like stumbling over it. The encoding needs to be changed before extracting the zip or rar archive in the archive program itself. Likely once extracted with the garbage names, it may not be possible to correct it afterwards.
1678477131954.png

There is a problem of a different sort with traditional Chinese (unlike the simplified), google translation yields those very funny poetic like translation results that I thought were long past. But I suppose there is nothing one can do. Maybe other translation engines do a better job of it?

Rhetoric question: why does somebody use traditional Chinese in computer world? And mix it with simplified version to boot?

Last edited: