Mini-PC

Join Discord

LeoCrasher

Heya,

Im looking at buying 2 PC's atm. I want one that runs all the time, using little power and is very small, and a normal ATX one which I will build myself.

My question is, where do I look for a Mini-PC? It doesnt need to be very high powered, basically just a file storage area with IIS facilities. Also I dont wish to pay much for it, need the money for the ATX machine.

Any ideas?
/Leo

MalusDarkblade

iss? not got a clue but for storing files tbh id just go down to a carboot and get sumat like a crap p3 for 100 quid

LeoCrasher

Need it really small and VERY quiet tho. Thats why I thought of a MiniPC, as they dont usally have any fans.

/Leo

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
for the pc that u dont want to be loud etc what will it be running ie apps etc and also i didnt quite understand ur post on what exactly u want. ie cpu mb case etc etc. if u list the components ur looking to buy and what theyll be running once again ie apps etc ill gladly assist u.

LeoCrasher

A mini PC.

Running Win2k3 for IIS Web and Mail Server.
KaZaa
File Storage
User Storage
Networked
ITX Motherboard
ITX Form Factor Case

It will be used for to download files when Im asleep, store files from my other networked computers, mail server, host a website and nothing more.

I was thinking Celeron / Duron 800-1ghz with 256mb ram would be suitable. Just dunno where to get ITX kit from.

/Leo

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
well, if ur going for a cost effective way, a small pc would actually be a lot more expensive, where as u could get a

regular 300 watt atx case
athalon xp 2400
512mb ddr
120gb 7200 rpm 8mb cache hd

for about $350 id say with tax

when ur going with a small pc, like the shuttle mini pc shown here http://www.shuttle.com/index6.html then thats right away just like over $230 just for the mb and case. or u could go for just a smaller cube shaped atx case, but that still is more expensive than a simple setup. the above $350 is pretty cheap for that kinda power for what ur doing, but i didnt know whether u were spending that much or not. surpising a 2400 xp cpu with mb only costs like $100, so the difference in price is nothing really compared to some cheap $50 mb and $30 duron 800.

edit:if im not mistaken the only itx kit (or just a mb that is duron and itx compatible is with the athalon xp shuttle mini pc's, which like i said are extremely expensive and i dont think u could buy just the mb by itself

Last edited: