Need help "Restrictions" stopping MSn ;)

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Well my work have finally beat me.

But I want to beat them again!!

Any chance I can somehow open MSN, I try load it up and get "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

help :( lol

mapadale

Well my work have finally beat me.

But I want to beat them again!!

Any chance I can somehow open MSN, I try load it up and get "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

help :( lol
Open msn up fully and click on tools and then options.

Goto connections - connection settings and advance options, in here you can set a proxy connection.

Now your work will use a proxy connection to the net, so go into regedit and look in the following:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software - Microsoft - Internet Explorer - In here some where should be the proxy settings for work, all you need is the proxy address that is being used IE: mine at work is ISA2-company address - All you do is add that into the connections along with you domain\username and then below your password for login on your machine.

This should then allow for MSN to run, but make sure you test the connection first before closing.

And hay presto you should beable to connect, if still after this you can't connect. Then there is no other way of getting around it as it would have been fully blocked under GRP Polices and on the proxy server.

It has to be full domain name and the user name after.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Open msn up fully and click on tools and then options.

Goto connections - connection settings and advance options, in here you can set a proxy connection.

Now your work will use a proxy connection to the net, so go into regedit and look in the following:[/B] and then below your password for login on your machine.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software - Microsoft - Internet Explorer - In here some where should be the proxy settings for work, all you need is the proxy address that is being used IE: mine at work is ISA2-company address - All you do is add that into the connections along with you domain\username

This should then allow for MSN to run, but make sure you test the connection first before closing.

And hay presto you should beable to connect, if still after this you can't connect. Then there is no other way of getting around it as it would have been fully blocked under GRP Polices and on the proxy server.

It has to be full domain name and the user name after.

Cant do any of that, MSN doesnt actually open, and I cannot get into regedit... thats restricted too lol.

@fors all them are blocked by our internet firewall.

But i can use the built in Messenger that comes with Windows, just wanted Windows Live to work.

DeathWish

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Oct 29, 2003
ive seen that message at work lol usually means people arent in the group that allows them to open up the program your trying to execute, if you can get onto the pcs local admin you can set urself as a local admin on that pc and ull be able to run msn n anythin ya want :D

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
I'm setup as an Admin on my machine, still doesnt let me access it, or the reg edit :(

Neptune

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 19, 2003
Chester :P
log out do CTRL + ALT + del twice it "should" load up a box change the username to administrator (but spelt correctly) and leave the password blank, press enter, if it doesnt log in as admin that way,

go to run type in msconfig then in the box look for BOOT.INI and then tick the /SAFEMODE box and restart in safe mode, when it loads up in safe mode u should be able to select admin username from there

when u want to get off safe mode just go to run type in msconfig look for BOOT.INI agen and then untick the /SAFEMODE box ( u can use /SAFEMODE WITH NETWORKING if u want that 1)

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
if they're just blocking msn, cant you use msn like apps to login? such as pigeon?

Kani

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 8, 2007
Go Start > All Programs > Accessories > Calculator > Help > Then right click the bit at the top which Says Help and has the Minimzie button/ Exit button to the right, click jump to URL and go to MSN websites and bang it cud work :P