Pretty speechless if i'm honest.

Join Discord

iJam

To the rhythm
VIP
Oct 8, 2007
London
  • Changed the grasping slightly... if you select an area and right click you can either choose to delete all selected or create an object (delete all doesn't

Love that akaras, That will save alot of time

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
@Akaras Non-resizeable list, literally impossible to know what's what, without scrolling through everything.
x01uYb.jpg
When I worked on sorting Akaras' object pack, I reduced the name of the folder to A, similarly you could replace Shanda M2 by SM2 etc. or even codename like S2. Also I recall keeping the tree structure as flat as I could, I think you can make up to four nested folders.

Hopefully the view will be made resizable. Another welcome change would be to make it, so the Editor would actively read the directory and show the objects you moved in or out of the Object folder from outside of the program. Currently you need to restart the editor. That would be welcomed addition, but that active reading of the directory I mention only if that is not hard to do.
I struggled with it when sorting that object pack because I opened objects to save them as object again but under different names. When the tree view would fill up with these renamed files, I would move them out to outside storage but the editor would still show them until next restart. Its small things like this that add up and tend to break camel's back eventually.

Another thing that could use some change has to do with the editor Object working directory. I didn't work with objects that much last several months but I believe you need two locations for the Object folder (talking about Xiyue editor) - one in the root of mir directory (I believe) to see the object.X in the editor and a copy of that in Data directory to be able to place it on map.

I think it should be just in the root, given that the editor is there, also files are more easily accessible for moving to other windows directories. I suppose there is no technical reason why it would need to be in the Data, since mir doesn't need it there to run the client game, it is there solely for the Editor use.

Last edited:

Akaras

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jan 14, 2014
The only comment being, I would have preferred the jump & free memory buttons to stay. Unless you have something planned, there is a tonne of wasted space now.

The jump and free memory are in the tool menu and also the mir3 invert layer thing... do you use those two buttons alot then? I could always add them back it would be no problem (also the save button as file>save? or a button back on the top bar better?)

The space saved I thought could be used for something else... it could be an area for controlling how the grasping tool creates an object or deletes selected areas based on what checkbox is checked (toggled visible if the grasping is selected a bit like a properties window)

other buttons could be added like if I ever add my minimap tool a button could be added for that... or the tile cutter... etc...

Oh one thing I forgot to mention... object creating wont work like you are used to it (I forgot you use it as a save map to object)... I can add the button back to save the whole map as an object if you want

Love that akaras, That will save alot of time

I used it quite a bit to quickly test objects in my old map editor so I wanted to add it here :)

Although I've not tested it fully on this version yet but it does work... it will be something I tweak to get it saving only the layers you want

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Another thing that could use some change has to do with the editor Object working directory. I didn't work with objects that much last several months but I believe you need two locations for the Object folder (talking about Xiyue editor) - one in the root of mir directory (I believe) to see the object.X in the editor and copy of that in Data directory to be able to place it on map.
This is not true. Data/Objects is the only relevant location.
The issue you are referring to was with Ijams editor if I recall.

The jump and free memory are in the tool menu and also the mir3 invert layer thing... do you use those two buttons alot then? I could always add them back it would be no problem (also the save button as file>save? or a button back on the top bar better?)
It depends on what the area would otherwise be used for. Especially the free memory, I use it often. My point was the change means they now require an extra action to use, tho not a huge deal. (If we're talking about making the editor more efficient, as per these changes, this one went the other way)

Akaras

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jan 14, 2014
is it possible to export and import map as CSV file? or a text file

I guess you could but each cell has quite a lot of data so you would have to have muliple lines of data for each cell and I'm guessing it would be quite hard to read/edit

Hopefully the view will be made resizable.
Object view should already be resizable on the version I just posted a short while ago... if it is not let me know and I'll fix it

It depends on what the area would otherwise be used for. Especially the free memory, I use it often. My point was the change means they now require an extra action to use, tho not a huge deal. (If we're talking about making the editor more efficient, as per these changes, this one went the other way)
I'll add it back for you for the next release I make :)

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Oh one thing I forgot to mention... object creating wont work like you are used to it (I forgot you use it as a save map to object)... I can add the button back to save the whole map as an object if you want
I assume you mean that you now need to do it through the grasp function?
The grasp way has more functionality i.e the ability to be selective. so I'd stick with that IMO.
We can always grasp large areas if needs be.
Post automatically merged:

Object view should already be resizable on the version I just posted a short while ago... if it is not let me know and I'll fix it
It works fine.

iJam

To the rhythm
VIP
Oct 8, 2007
London
Another thing that could use some change has to do with the editor Object working directory. I didn't work with objects that much last several months but I believe you need two locations for the Object folder (talking about Xiyue editor) - one in the root of mir directory (I believe) to see the object.X in the editor and a copy of that in Data directory to be able to place it on map.

As chalace said that was an early issue on my first version, you should probably delete that now I don't use or have source for that anymore.

I think the same about zoom controls they should just have buttons.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I think the same about zoom controls they should just have buttons.
I overlooked that one. As I only tested on a new 50*50 map.
There is currently no key-binds(?) making zooming a pretty silly chore; Having to click through 'view>zoom +/-' every step.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Akaras: ... object creating wont work like you are used to it (I forgot you use it as a save map to object)... I can add the button back to save the whole map as an object if you want

I assume you mean that you now need to do it through the grasp function?
The grasp way has more functionality i.e the ability to be selective. so I'd stick with that IMO.
We can always grasp large areas if needs be.

I am not sure you can pull grasp selection to whole map, also if you can, it would be awkward on bigger maps (unless maybe doing it zoomed out? - but in that case isn't it even more prone to crash the program?)

Before these changes (mind you I didin't have a chance to look at the work Akaras put to test today), clicking the Save to objects button would work for whatever you had loaded, be it a map or an object already. It worked without regard for grasp selection rectangle. (saw just last night that older post of Akaras where he thought the button would work on selected area - when in fact it saved the whole map which was why it crashed the editor when he tried to view it in Object section (as it usually does crash but sometimes can be managed with smaller maps or numerous tries).

I for one would like to keep this ability, accessible from menu or button doesn't matter since that is not something you doo too often. I mean you do it repeatedly only because the editor crashed while you try to load it back on map.

That's lots of work with implementing those shortcuts, I hope you took as template my second revised post on previous page here -> the one I enclosed with code brackets to separate it from the rest of the post (#136).

That version (necessitated by using the Ctrl modifier which I didn't take into consideration in the original post on hot key layout) I made last night before late bedtime, probably early morning if you are in EU (I am in Canada for few more weeks yet).
So much got posted in the last hour or so, didn't expect such explosion of posts :D am still at work, will read it all and do some testing later on.

@Chalace: I mentioned that Object folder location just in case it is not forgotten now that changes are being done. I wasn't sure how it is with this editor, but I would swear I moved object files around a month or two back and needed to save copy to Data, I guess I didn't realize the editor is using just the Data location. I guess I am confused because I save my edited map versions into Object folder in the mir root install (too many maps in map folder, hard to find the one you work on day in day out).

Mind you I use Xiyue editor on regular basis, iJam's I used last time sometimes last year. I did have the locations figured out long time ago but it is a pain to keep such things in memory if you don't switch editors, I just forget.

Last edited:

awesome

Microsoft
Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
it could work by creating placement rules of all sorts and assigning each of the rules to objects

tree always 8 cells around another tree, else rock placed next to tree at 4 cells distance.

when objects follow a place rule they control what is placed next to them, sort of rendering the full map object by object with min max distance rules

each object can be assigned multiple rules

Attachments

• 2019-08-07.png
    2019-08-07.png
    13 KB · Views: 11

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
it could work by creating placement rules of all sorts and assigning each of the rules to objects

tree always 8 cells around another tree, else rock placed next to tree at 4 cells distance.

when objects follow a place rule they control what is placed next to them, sort of rendering the full map object by object with min max distance rules

I imagine this is something along the lines of what they used for official maps. And well, we can see how they turned out.
What is your goal here?

There is a reason companies shell out $ for people to do it.

Last edited:

awesome

Microsoft
Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
the goal Is to shorten the amount of time it takes to create maps, could even go for batch create

there's another way to generate maps

is to read all objects locations on a map then rearrange and relocate the exact objects in different locations on the entire map

another way is map merge 4 maps merged as 1

and another way is to program exactly where the object have to be placed

Akaras

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jan 14, 2014
Yeah I used the more recent shortcuts post you made mir3pion :) has z for undo and ctrl+z for redo ` for select "nothing" etc... seems pretty good (although I kept pressing the keys reserved for the top layer thinking it was the front layer keys but that was just because Im not used the the keys yet)

There is currently no key-binds(?) making zooming a pretty silly chore; Having to click through 'view>zoom +/-' every step.

Sorry forgot to say I added the zoom in/out shortcuts to the + - on the numpad... I had those shortcuts setup already so forgot they were not listed on the shortcut post

...and yeah the grasping select lets you select the area you want (although currently has a little bug stopping you select the edge cells and being a little "quirky" if you are dragging the selection area backwards(but does work))... I could actually add a "select all" to the right click menu which would select all the map

is the additional Top layer actually something that is wanted by everyone? if so we would have to create a new map type to make that work and also add the map type, draw code and cell data to the client... or the maps won't work outside of the editor...

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Sorry forgot to say I added the zoom in/out shortcuts to the + - on the numpad... I had those shortcuts setup already so forgot they were not listed on the shortcut post
Ok, that's more like it. no issue there then.

is the additional Top layer actually something that is wanted by everyone? if so we would have to create a new map type to make that work and also add the map type, draw code and cell data to the client... or the maps won't work outside of the editor...
I'm in two minds about it really. Adding more layers feels more like a band-aid.
Sure, it has some uses, but it's far from necessary. (I could probably count on one hand the number of times it was the only solution)

e.g My tree example from the previous post, I could have made the top trees middle and the 2nd-row front. no issue.
the reason I left it was simply down to the time investment of re-making objects in a different layer Vs the effect of filling that 1 spot with another tree.

Would it be possible to make the inverting process more user-friendly? And work both ways. (currently only converts middle to front)
e.g If I have a built tree object, being able to place it as middle or front (without needing to save maps/rebuild/make new objects, etc)

This would circumvent 99% of the cases.

Akaras

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jan 14, 2014
The reason I asked about the top layer was because it seems like a good idea at first but after thinnking about it its use would be very limited unless in a very crowded map where lots of objects overlap and I know you can use the middle image in some situations to solve it... but I'm not an experienced map maker so I had to ask if it is something that is very useful to you map creators

I could add a swap middle/front option to the grasping select? that would be "easy" to do and should be easy to use (right click menu)

• Love
Reactions: Chalace

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
The reason I asked about the top layer was because it seems like a good idea at first but after thinnking about it its use would be very limited unless in a very crowded map where lots of objects overlap and I know you can use the middle image in some situations to solve it... but I'm not an experienced map maker so I had to ask if it is something that is very useful to you map creators
I was the same, sounded great at first. then not so much the more you think about it's uses.

I could add a swap middle/front option to the grasping select? that would be "easy" to do and should be easy to use (right click menu)
That would be brilliant. Even better with the grasp, so you could swap just certain tiles.