1st line / Service Desk alumni

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
For those who worked in 1st line / Service Desk previously, if you were an IT person, how did you find it?

How do you think it benefitted you?

Did you enjoy it? Did you feel it made you progress?

Curious since I grew apart from my former SD colleagues after going upto 2nd line.

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester
Didn't see this until now.

I started in 1st line with 0 qualifications in IT. I came from working in retail. I actually hated 1st line because of having to deal with customers constantly who had no clue, or were adamant that they were right (when they weren't). It's all part and parcel of the role though.

I now head of platform operations leading a team of 12 engineers. Still the only actual qualification I have is a Windows 2008 MCSA (Which I only took for the benefit of gold partnership for the business, I didn't need to do it for my actual job).

I've worked for the same Company for almost 15 years now, I could go elsewhere and earn more money - but i'm comfortable and happy with the people I work with and it helps that my office is less than a 5 minute walk from home.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I've worked for the same MSP for 11 years.

Went in as a Junior 1st Line, I am now a Technical Architect for them.

I really enjoy it, enjoy the people I work with, similar to the above, I could get more pay elsewhere but the perks I get and people I work with add a lot of extra 'value'.

1st Line I actually really enjoyed as it's where I really managed to hone a lot of my skills, being business to business does mitigate some of the 'clueless' people who call up, but I never minded speaking to people

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
Hey guys

Thanks for your testimonies. Really nice to see support from other IT guys.

My first IT job was where the guys were always swearing and were abusive, these were military men I was dealing with daily and 2nd line teams not wanting ownership or doing their jobs properly, resulting in the 1st line team being thrown under the bus. Some calls I used to tremble with fear due to the anger of the end user, always threatening with escalation or asking you to do things you couldnt.

I did then switch company to another 1st line role which was much better but still stressful and for the past 2 and a bit years, I've joined a 2nd line team and well trying to master it where I can. Trying to get my hands onto some coding / dev etc which my manager is supportive of.

Nice to see both you guys managed to step up.

I feel there should be some more help for 1st line people since it impacts their mental health. Call Centre agents are allowed time off the phones if their mental health breaks due to the fact they've had a troubling customer on the line and I feel this policy should go to 1st liners too.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
How do you grow apart since you moved to 2nd line?
2nd line you should still be working very closely with the service desk folks.... as you are still part of the SD.
Seem a bit arrogant to me.

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
I work closely with 1st line still.

I am able to educate them on the applications I support and correct / re-educate them on things which in turn helps the rest of the Company.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I was a team leader at one point and always encouraged people to take 5 if they had a bad call with a client (these were few and far between, but still did occur)

We even got to a point once, where a customer was that bad, we advised the MD of the business, that his employee couldn't call us anymore

Reactions: Omnibus

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
My old place had quite a few "bad" clients who were awful to deal with.

New company are great and we only take on customers WE want - Not just take any for the money.
We also discuss our clients regular with our Directors and if we have any "troublesome" ones, we deal with them accordingly. If they continue we take the decision to move them on.

Reactions: Tai

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Been applying for a month or so now, and have only been offered a full-time 6-month contract somewhere... >.< It's a nice place etc.. but what am I going to do after the 6 months -.- it does get experience under my belt, I guess but the worry is still there, the mortgage won't pay itself.

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
Been applying for a month or so now, and have only been offered a full-time 6-month contract somewhere... >.< It's a nice place etc.. but what am I going to do after the 6 months -.- it does get experience under my belt, I guess but the worry is still there, the mortgage won't pay itself.
I hope for the best for you.

Wish you the best in applying. Happy to talk if you need it.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Risk v Reward

If you can't afford the mortgage etc if you are to be out of work for a few months, it's a risk you can't afford to take.
If you can, then that experience would help in further applications.

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
Risk v Reward

If you can't afford the mortgage etc if you are to be out of work for a few months, it's a risk you can't afford to take.
I oppose taking risks. I wouldn't try it.

We all have families to provide for.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
Quiet Quitting.

They offer 6 months terms because first line its not build for those who are soft.
They won't dump you, they have this clause because nowdays Quiet Quitting its a trend, lots of overburned once full of hope and potential now are slacking and just doing the bare minimum so instead of firing someone and pay some packages, they rather put 6 months clause in contract. If you work just fine they wont dump you.

Good luck!

Reactions: Tai

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
Quiet Quitting.

They offer 6 months terms because first line its not build for those who are soft.
They won't dump you, they have this clause because nowdays Quiet Quitting its a trend, lots of overburned once full of hope and potential now are slacking and just doing the bare minimum so instead of firing someone and pay some packages, they rather put 6 months clause in contract. If you work just fine they wont dump you.

Good luck!
I was temp when I began 1st line. 9 months later they made me permanent.

Was clearly not a job for the faint hearted, given all the horrible users who would swear and pressure into doing things you shouldn't.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
I was temp when I began 1st line. 9 months later they made me permanent.

Was clearly not a job for the faint hearted, given all the horrible users who would swear and pressure into doing things you shouldn't.
Switched from 3rd line to Dev discipline few months ago :P

1st Line is literally the meat cannon, dealing with all the frustrated/difficult users.
2nd Line literally deploy small patches, checks compliance, small stuff, require some sort of powershell knowledge, can deal with some incidents and stuff like that which 1st line couldn't do **** about it.

Honestly its all about hard work and luck. You can work a lot and still end up 2-3 years on 1st line. 2nd Line is more about how agile you are and if your manager recommends you to the 2nd line.

Issue with nowdays clauses is that lots are quiet quitters and rather do close to minimum work or pretend working, hence why stupid clauses like this.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Quiet Quitting.

Good luck!
was told by the lady that it was a fixed term due to them just needing help to catch up with tickets.. >.< lol

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
was told by the lady that it was a fixed term due to them just needing help to catch up with tickets.. >.< lol
Honestly you never know who gets enough off it from the current team and you may get a permanent slot :P

Reactions: Martyn

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Risk v Reward

we could probably survive just on my partner's salary in all fairness, but wouldn't like to, housing is too cheap up t'north :P

Honestly you never know who gets enough off it from the current team and you may get a permanent slot :p
true, lol I'm tempted to just go for it, if I find nothing before the 6 months are up, then I'll go work any where, Evri or something haha

Reactions: Omnibus and zedina

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Ah, turns out it’s only for 3 months, at 6 months I was considering it, but 3 months just doesn’t seem like it will give me enough “experience” to be able to get other jobs easier. I’m certain the lady on the phone told me 6 months too 🤔

• Sad
Reactions: zedina