3D Mir - Zuma Temple

sprite110911

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey peeps,
It's been a while but noticed there seems to be a few threads about making mir 3d. I know there has been a few projects of this in the past but we figured we'd share this as it is now.

We originally set out to recreate zt in 3D in our spare time and make a video run through of it working using Unity. We actually got about 80-90% done (haven't finished anims, stuff like that. A lot of images not shown here) but after a while of working on this we decided to expand into our own game in the style of mir, which we are currently pursuing, and is going great.

We may come back to finish zt at some point in the future, but it's not a priority at the moment because its just a fun 'fanart' project in its self. The files from this wont be released because the back end of it is what has been developed into our current ongoing project.

Here's some renders and such. All modular(so all different floors can be made from the same assets), various pieces, some mobs etc.

3dmirnemomaskegonsmall.jpg

LINK TO BIGGER IMAGE

People saying it isn't possible, it is very achievable, taking into consideration we are only a team of 3 working in our spare time.

/Nemo

Nice work ! Keep it up! :)

Nemo

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
UK -Manchester
First of all thanks all for the replies etc.
It's not just me tho remember, its Mask and Egon too. ^^'

Yesssssss this is great. Wanna see more!

What have you been using, maya, max, zbrush, mudbox etc etc?

You keeping the isometic cam?

We use 3ds Max, ZBrush, and Photoshop. We were keeping the isometric cam yes.

Looks sweet, seen a Mir3 3D game but did not like the look of it.
The maps seem really poor and mob body shape + color
did not look the same as the normal 2D mobs.
Think this looks x10 better than the official 3D mir3 server i saw.

Good job, Keep it up!
/TDID

Yeh, the models they have made are actually pretty good, their environment is what lacks really. Seems like half of it they ripped directly from mir sprites to do the textures which looks odd.

This may interest you guys when it comes to getting it online...

http://roarengine.com/demo/unity3d/

Thanks, Egon had already set up some networking etc. so we could all connect to it and run around.

Here's a couple of screens I thought I'd share of a diff dungeon I was working on. Unfinished, needs filling with foliage. :P
I don't really know Unity, so coding wise and cam etc. for my testing I had just used AngryBots stuff that comes with UnityPro. So ignore the character. :p

CLICK HERE FOR LARGE
WIP_14sm.png

CLICK HERE FOR LARGE
WIP_15sm.jpg

wolfman

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 24, 2003
Never realised you made a post Nemo.

Here are some pics of ingame test footage for the first zt room back in june i think.

Active shadows on the 3rd pic.

rebirth3.jpg rebirth2.jpg rebirth4.jpg

Flame sword lol
rebirth1b.jpg

Last edited:

Ilsta

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 20, 2012
The detail of the objects, tiles and overall maps look so much better than the animations of the skills overall from the screenshots provided but it's all very impressive.

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
That's impressive what server did you connect it to?
we built our own server which connects directly too unity, login and other db's are setup similar to mir using sql.(we did this so that if we wished to copy data from mir it would translate the same, minus a few unique tables)
The detail of the objects, tiles and overall maps look so much better than the animations of the skills overall from the screenshots provided but it's all very impressive.
the spells are place-holders (for testing purposes, not final product) same goes with the gui which was took from an earlier version, even the char model / his animations arent final, there's still alot which isnt perfected in the images like shadows/lighting(general atmosphere) some normals which needed flipping (on the tiger head bases), and some objects still need uvmapping / texturing.

Last edited:

wolfman

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 24, 2003
The project in itself is a mini hobby to see what could be achieved and to learn how to use Unity etc.
Our first attempt (from 2010 i think) was heavily criticized by the mir community because it was too far from what they were used to (top down iso).

And even though this project is more close to home, people always take the work as a final polished product, so I was reluctant to show anything. For now I have restrained from showing any videos and have shown a glimpse of some of the game.

The Unity engine is easy to get into but difficult to master hence the magic skills etc are poor because we are still playing around with advanced techniques like shaders etc.

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
[video=youtube;v3974DKbRiw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3974DKbRiw[/video]

We've had this video(and a few others) saved for a while, it differs slightly from some of the other screen caps (due to testing different lightings out), but figured id upload it as it generally gives a better feel for our game, i wonder if anyone recognises which map it is.. :D

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
looks awesome. fantastic work. really hope this becomes a playable game. you should do a kickstater, i'd def put money down to back it.

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
looks awesome. fantastic work. really hope this becomes a playable game. you should do a kickstater, i'd def put money down to back it.

looked into it awhile back, but there was no support for the uk, but apparently its being added soon, so who knows :) , we'd probably have to expand the team too.

thanks for the offer though!

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
I just registered a new company that should turn over a fair bit of dolla! So i will deffently back this idea, i will even pay for Unity pro 4! PM with some things you need and il oversea it asap :)

Also got a few coders of my own for my company so i can always give you some of they're time, if need be....