Advice

smoochy boys on tour

czeldabolg

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Sep 12, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
It's rare I ask for advice on actual reality matters but i feel you guys may be better than some of those I know, currently i'm working in a job where i stick barcodes to taxcodes.. for 8 hours a day, yesterday i was moved into the warehouse basically due to lack of jobs around the work place this has however triggered my asthma quite badly hence coming home early from work today, the main problem i have is this job is insufferable, honestly it's terrible.

Can i just up and quit? what repercussions does it have? - Yes it's also the first real job too. I am a Scanning and indexing Operative for Iron Mountain (Minimum wage).

Thoughts?

/Czeldabolg

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
Your an adult. You can do what you want.

But dont expect a reference.

Foopah

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 7, 2011
Livingston
Working in a warehouse would be hella bad if you have ashma as there is incredible amounts of dust in cardboard boxes. I suffer from hayfever and even the dust in a warehouse affects me in much the same way as pollen.

Am sure if you explain your medical situation and ask to be re-located in another department they would go for it. (not sure if they have to or not but my gut says they would) If failing that then yeah you can take a **** on the Boss' desk and piss off home. Or hand in your notice and suffer out the last week or 2 at work. (little hint if you have holiday days take them first as some companys wont pay you them once you leave and is a fight to get them to pay you.) Could do what I did leaving my last job, put in for 2 weeks holiday and on my last shift handed in my 2 week notice. :D

Last edited:

lozmuir

Former Moderator
VIP
Apr 17, 2003
Congleton, Cheshire.
As your first job, it won't look good for any future employers that you don't have a reference.

Speak to your boss about your issues and if nothing can be resolved, hand your notice in and stick it out for another week or two.

czeldabolg

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Sep 12, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
I should point out I didn't have a refrence for this job to be honest, it was just a simple CV that got me the spot. To Foopah, i wasn't supposed to work in the warehouse anyway, it was a "yeah you've done your job we've got no others go help there" sort of thing.

The thing is I know of people that go from job to job, either they don't like 1 or they just move on. Problem is the place i'm at my CV shows my main area is computers yet for some reason i'm sticking barcodes on pieces of paper 8hours a day.. somewhat dull i won't lie. I don't expect to land a cushiony job but one where you're at least treated well is a start.

Thanks for the views so far it's really helpful folks.

/Czeldabolg

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Well assuming they told you what you'd be doing before you took the job, you must've accepted it for some reason. Probably either you're desperate or know you need to start at the bottom. Unfortunately it's true but it's really frustrating when you see intelligent people doing moron's jobs.

Take it from me though (I've quit 2 jobs and been sacked from another 2) if you really don't wanna stay then try to hand in your notice and stick out the final days. You'll feel better for it.

JohnBarny

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2003
Ya Mums
Tbh count yourself lucky you have a job, unfortunatly this isnt the best climate for jobs atm. I would explain problem to your boss, maybe he can help. The reason you probably havnt got a computer job is because you need to build up reputation you cant just goto a employer saying look i like computers I have these computer qualifications but have never had a job in my life, they would rather take on someone reliable with a good reference.

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
For one.. If you never mentioned your asthma before you was employed, your employer has no obligation to do anything.. If there nice they might...

Two. If there is a position within the company which you would like to strive for, bring it up to your employer and stick it out. Your employer will be testing you on reliability and determination.

Three. If your still around the age of 16-18. Quitting a job wont have much effect on future employment as these years could be covered by school/college/uni.

Four. As mentioned before about taking holidays before leave. Not a good idea... Most reputable companies work the holidays on average. For example - 17. 5 hours per week x 52 = 910 hours Government entitlement for that many hours = 28 days. If you only complete 30 days work, take your 28days hol and then leave. Your wages will be deducted to make up for the holidays taken, And if theres no wages to be deducted legal action can and most likely will be taken..

Peace out homie.

czeldabolg

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Sep 12, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
For one.. If you never mentioned your asthma before you was employed, your employer has no obligation to do anything.. If there nice they might...

Two. If there is a position within the company which you would like to strive for, bring it up to your employer and stick it out. Your employer will be testing you on reliability and determination.

Three. If your still around the age of 16-18. Quitting a job wont have much effect on future employment as these years could be covered by school/college/uni.

Four. As mentioned before about taking holidays before leave. Not a good idea... Most reputable companies work the holidays on average. For example - 17. 5 hours per week x 52 = 910 hours Government entitlement for that many hours = 28 days. If you only complete 30 days work, take your 28days hol and then leave. Your wages will be deducted to make up for the holidays taken, And if theres no wages to be deducted legal action can and most likely will be taken..

Peace out homie.

You have to mention health issues, it's mandatory and asthma was mentioned, I can't exactly hide it with how bad my chest gets to be quite honest. I'm 20 turning 21 next year but i am still trying to get into uni / attend a year 0 course next september. So i'm not sure how it will effect me.

Thanks for the advice on this thread guys, I'll stick at it a few more weeks, if it's basically still not improving / [after talking with the boss too] i'll obviously give my notice, with me being temp / agency anyway fingers crossed they may cut my hours down themselves.

/Czeldabolg