All of a Sudden?

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
Hey all,

Its the second day with my new card, and somethign weird's just happened. Whilst running my 3DMARK exam, my computer turned off... three times; randomly I would say, because I couldn't narrow the problem down to any specific test. Also, 3DMARK tends to crash when it gets the the CPU test, giving me a "Send Error" box.

If you would like any diagnostic information, please ask.

Thanks,
Turin

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Check if the card or processor is overheating.

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
I've got my case off and I am using one of the chassis fans Urban gave me to blow out air. I have a desk fan blowing into the open case as well as a large Arctic Cooling heatsink and fan for the CPU. The GPU is using stock cooling and the memory isn't cooled.

The memory on my Asrock 939Dual board is:

1 x 512MB PC3200 BANK 1
1 x 256MB PC3200 BANK 2

Single Channel.

Temperatures on IDLE with the above settings read:

CPU: 28 Degrees Celcius ~81F
GPU: 42 Degrees Celcius ~106F
Ambient: 35 Degrees Celcius ~93F

The CPU is overlclocked at about 25%, its an Opteron 165.

Turin

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
[UPDATE]

Seems a bit more stable... but guess what I saw...

Whilst monitoring CPU/GPU temperature actively, I saw that during the DEMO playing in 3DMARK, the GPU temperature rose to around 76-84 Degree Celsius which is close to 176 Farenheit.

Is that a bit much? 75% of the way to boiling water lol, whats up with the cooling? Or is that normal...

Then again, the moment I exited the game, it dropped automatically to 50c and then proceeded back to its idle average of 42c within the next 30 seconds.

What is the normal clock/memory speed of this card? RiverTuner reads it as:

398.3 Core Clock
492.8 Memory

Is that normal?
Turin

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
[UPDATE]

Ok here's an example.

wtf7gx.png

Also I was wandering, specifically of Urban, if the fact that you made the PCI-E port async' would affect the way the computer handled voltage and clock speeds etc? I guess not, but worth raising the point lol.

Turin

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Try to run the tests without an overclock and see if that fixes it.

Turin said:
[UPDATE]

Ok here's an example.

Also I was wandering, specifically of Urban, if the fact that you made the PCI-E port async' would affect the way the computer handled voltage and clock speeds etc? I guess not, but worth raising the point lol.

Turin

Average is about 70-75c, but judging from your high ambient 80c sounds somewhat reasonable, but 80+ is high.

PCI-E port async just means when overclocking that the PCI-E will stay operating @ the default 100MHz.

Turin said:
Hey all,

Its the second day with my new card, and somethign weird's just happened. Whilst running my 3DMARK exam, my computer turned off... three times; randomly I would say, because I couldn't narrow the problem down to any specific test. Also, 3DMARK tends to crash when it gets the the CPU test, giving me a "Send Error" box.

If you would like any diagnostic information, please ask.

Thanks,
Turin

What powersupply are you using and did you do a fresh windows install?

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
urbanfox said:
Try to run the tests without an overclock and see if that fixes it.

Average is about 70-75c, but judging from your high ambient 80c sounds somewhat reasonable, but 80+ is high.

PCI-E port async just means when overclocking that the PCI-E will stay operating @ the default 100MHz.

What powersupply are you using and did you do a fresh windows install?

Hey m8,

Thanks for replying.

Yea, I had to do a fresh install of XP the day I installed the CPU and Motherboard because they rejected the old HDD. (lost my ICT cwk -.-) I havn't installed any drivers since that date, except the AGP bus driver and video driver for my old fx5200, whilst waiting for the x800xl to arrive.

As for installed programs, I have Office 2003 suite, Oblivion, BF2, MoH, + utilities (such as WinRar, RiverTuner, AtiTools etc). My HDD is more than 70% free and it has been recently defragmented.

I have a 1.2gig pagefile, on a second hard-drive.

I've tried the tests w/o the overclock and received similar results, where the CPU test crashes Marks and DEMO games cause the system to restart. With the overclock my CPU score is ~1800 on the Marks.

I had my memory modules in sockets 1 and 3 when the problem occured. I switched them to 1 and 2, and since then the systems been stable or at least I havn't encountered any crashes yet. I'm assuming this was the problem, but I don't know why lol.

Any idea?
Turin

ps - I havn't yet dared to turn off the desk fan, in case it overheats again. The temperatures I said above and with all the fans at 100%.

pps - the highest I've got so far on 3dmarks is like 2500ish, and its all on low settings, i.e. 640 x 400, no AA, Optimal TF. :|, I have no idea what that means, because this is my first ever benchmark.

ppps - my PSU is some standard crap that came with the case I bought. I don't think it the best... seems to be very quiet though.

Last edited:

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Turin said:
Hey m8,

Thanks for replying.

Yea, I had to do a fresh install of XP the day I installed the CPU and Motherboard because they rejected the old HDD. (lost my ICT cwk -.-) I havn't installed any drivers since that date, except the AGP bus driver and video driver for my old fx5200, whilst waiting for the x800xl to arrive.

As for installed programs, I have Office 2003 suite, Oblivion, BF2, MoH, + utilities (such as WinRar, RiverTuner, AtiTools etc). My HDD is more than 70% free and it has been recently defragmented.

I have a 1.2gig pagefile, on a second hard-drive.

I've tried the tests w/o the overclock and received similar results, where the CPU test crashes Marks and DEMO games cause the system to restart. With the overclock my CPU score is ~1800 on the Marks.

I had my memory modules in sockets 1 and 3 when the problem occured. I switched them to 1 and 2, and since then the systems been stable or at least I havn't encountered any crashes yet. I'm assuming this was the problem, but I don't know why lol.

Any idea?
Turin

ps - I havn't yet dared to turn off the desk fan, in case it overheats again. The temperatures I said above and with all the fans at 100%.

pps - the highest I've got so far on 3dmarks is like 2500ish, and its all on low settings, i.e. 640 x 400, no AA, Optimal TF. :|, I have no idea what that means, because this is my first ever benchmark.

ppps - my PSU is some standard crap that came with the case I bought. I don't think it the best... seems to be very quiet though.

Did you clean the nvidia drivers before you installed the ATI card?

What 3DMark program did you use?

On the side of the PSU should be the rails, like 3.3v, 5v, and 12v with numbers like xxA beside them, what are they?

And for the ram you either want it in 1 and 2 or 3 and 4.

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
urbanfox said:
Did you clean the nvidia drivers before you installed the ATI card?

Nope :$

urbanfox said:
What 3DMark program did you use?

The latest (06) one.

On the side of the PSU should be the rails, like 3.3v, 5v, and 12v with numbers like xxA beside them, what are they?

It's a whole table with crossreferncing to different voltage etc.

The top title line gives you the options of: +5V, +3.3V, +12V, -12V, -5V, +5Vab.

The vertical line at the furthest gives you the options of: PL-200, PL-230, PL-250, PL-300, PL-350, PL-400.

Then as I said, you've got loads of crossrefences in the table, for example, PL-230 and -5V gives me 0.5A.

Hope that was clearish.

And for the ram you either want it in 1 and 2 or 3 and 4.

Gotcha.
Turin

PS - Inside things include:

2 x HDD, 1x Floppy Drive, 1 x Optical Drive, 1 x Chasis Fan, 1 x PCI-E gfx, 1 x CPU Opty, 2 x PC3200 RAM.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Turin said:
Nope :$

The latest (06) one.

It's a whole table with crossreferncing to different voltage etc.

The top title line gives you the options of: +5V, +3.3V, +12V, -12V, -5V, +5Vab.

The vertical line at the furthest gives you the options of: PL-200, PL-230, PL-250, PL-300, PL-350, PL-400.

Then as I said, you've got loads of crossrefences in the table, for example, PL-230 and -5V gives me 0.5A.

Hope that was clearish.

Gotcha.
Turin

PS - Inside things include:

2 x HDD, 1x Floppy Drive, 1 x Optical Drive, 1 x Chasis Fan, 1 x PCI-E gfx, 1 x CPU Opty, 2 x PC3200 RAM.

Download this and clean the nvidia gfx drivers:
http://www.drivercleaner.net/

For your videocard use 03.

The PL I assume is the model, so figure out what model you have and reference the table for 3.3V,5V, and 12V for your model.

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
urbanfox said:
Download this and clean the nvidia gfx drivers:
http://www.drivercleaner.net/[/color]

Okies cleaned.

For your videocard use 03.

On 05 I got 7000 at low settings and I'll see what I get with 03 lol.

The PL I assume is the model, so figure out what model you have and reference the table for 3.3V,5V, and 12V for your model.

I think its PL-350 which would make it
+12V|-12V...|+5V...|-5Vab
15A..|0.8A...|05A..|3.0A

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Turin said:
Okies cleaned.

On 05 I got 7000 at low settings and I'll see what I get with 03 lol.

I think its PL-350 which would make it
+12V|-12V...|+5V...|-5Vab
15A..|0.8A...|05A..|3.0A

15a is pretty low, and you must have misread the +5V because there's no way it's only 5 amps.

Make sure you A) run the regular test without changing anything in the program and B) go into catalyst control center and under 3D change:

Standard Settings: Performance
AA: Let the app decide
AAA: disabled
AF: Let the app decide
Catalyst A.I.: disabled
mipmap detail: performance

Have you had a crash since changing the ram slots?

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
urbanfox said:

15a is pretty low, and you must have misread the +5V because there's no way it's only 5 amps.

o.O I got a crick in my neck from bending and typing this lol, but here you go :P

wet27zq.png

PS - Sorry about the 40 and 20 that are highlighted are meant to be amps! (the 4/5th column)

Make sure you A) run the regular test without changing anything in the program and B) go into catalyst control center and under 3D change:

Standard Settings: Performance
AA: Let the app decide
AAA: disabled
AF: Let the app decide
Catalyst A.I.: disabled
mipmap detail: performance

Ok I'll do that and run the 3Dmark again, meanwhile without changing factory settings, I got 4888 score on the 03 version :|.

[EDIT]

I changed settings from default to your recommended and voila:

as6xo.jpg

Strangely, I saw the FPS go higher, but no particular quality loss? =/

Have you had a crash since changing the ram slots?

Just one, during a stress test on the GPU whilst looking for artifacts (because whilst I was playing Oblivion, for some reason, the sky started flashing blue.)

I appreciate your help ^_^
Turin

Last edited:

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
3dMark 2003:

033dmark1wk.jpg

3dMark 2005:

053dmark3aj.jpg

Turin

ps - is my PSU alright/giving enough power to the components?

pps- Also I was wondering if I could get the Opteron to clock to around 2.4/5ghz possibly?

Last edited:

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Your scores look fine.

Your PSU is an under performing. It could work for years or it could blow in 6 months.

My brother had a crappy PSU from a no name company and about 1-2 months ago after 7 months of working it died one night, luckily it didn't take anything with it. If I were you I'd get a new PSU.

A64 s754 3200+
2x512 DDR433
80GB SATA
6800 GT

Attachments

• psu.JPG
    psu.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 16

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
urbanfox said:
Your scores look fine.

Your PSU is an under performing. It could work for years or it could blow in 6 months.

My brother had a crappy PSU from a no name company and about 1-2 months ago after 7 months of working it died one night, luckily it didn't take anything with it. If I were you I'd get a new PSU.

A64 s754 3200+
2x512 DDR433
80GB SATA
6800 GT

Okies, a new PSU it is, could you recommend anything good, that will work for me for around £30?

ps - I assume you mean I should get that Jpac one?

Last edited:

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
urbanfox said:
Nah, that was the peice of crap that died on us lol.

http://komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=308625

lmao >_< Thanks for the PSU link. I'll order it right away. :D

Turin

ps - Ordered.

Once again, thank you for all your help, I reallly appreciate it. I've just stopped my desk fan and am hoping the computer won't crash; meanwhile I'll try get Martin to Kvatch :P (Oblivion)

Last edited: