Anyone else learning Japanese?

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
Just figured I would ask here if anyone else is learning japanese, I've not long started but it would be nice to find someone to communicate with (all helps).

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
I did a bit back in college (myself, not a course) but don't remember any of it bar a few words. I used the Rosetta Stone, that was quite good.

You could try websites like Lang-8.

Binary

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Dec 23, 2015
I've watched The Last Samurai a few times. Fluent!

In all seriousness I've heard it's a hard language to learn and it has something like 7 tenses??

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
I've watched The Last Samurai a few times. Fluent!

In all seriousness I've heard it's a hard language to learn and it has something like 7 tenses??

Well currently learning grammar, Having just reviewed Present/Furture/Past Positive and Present/Furture/Past Negative... I am about 1/3 the way through the first book and I need to do/learn both of them before I can say I know elementary level stuff :(, I am hoping that once I have the base adding to it will be easier.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Well currently learning grammar, Having just reviewed Present/Furture/Past Positive and Present/Furture/Past Negative... I am about 1/3 the way through the first book and I need to do/learn both of them before I can say I know elementary level stuff :(, I am hoping that once I have the base adding to it will be easier.

glhf

Knowing multiple languages is such a good thing to have under your belt though

He said, having failed Spanish

MythRohan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Nov 18, 2011
Northant's Town : Serious Gamer
I don't speak or know Japanese but ill add my 2pence

I learned Spanish as a child due to family. but even though i was young i still found it hard to grasp . took me until i hit 20 to be confident enough to speak Spanish to locals and even my family...

Know how hard it can be and frustrating.. persistence is key , and what better language to learn than Japanese!
Hope your able to achieve your target there

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
why not? Its always helpful to know a second language. Im learning currently learning German

why didn't the OP answer himself? Learning German is more understandable then something like Japanese. I have in family ex ambasador to Japan, who was there four years and even that didn't induce him to learn local language, there was no need for it for one, also once you get to know Japanese society more, from close up and firsthand, you may change your mind... I'd definitely would be interested why somebody would like to learn Japanese. Like maybe he already knows some related lang from that region? Also at what level you gonna learn, just to understand and speak a little or also write, and if write, at what level (in kanji or alphabetic etc)? I can imagine for example that manga comics fan wants to learn to read... I and my brothers learned French that way, reading comics when we were young. However for that we needed just a simple dictionary and tons of time spent over the comics, with Japanese its different :devilish:

Last edited:

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
I don't speak or know Japanese but ill add my 2pence

I learned Spanish as a child due to family. but even though i was young i still found it hard to grasp . took me until i hit 20 to be confident enough to speak Spanish to locals and even my family...

Know how hard it can be and frustrating.. persistence is key , and what better language to learn than Japanese!
Hope your able to achieve your target there

Cheers, currently my target is 6 Months (not to be perfect but to be good enough to understand majority). Hopefully its not too unrealistic but time will tell.

why didn't the OP answer himself? Learning German is more understandable then something like Japanese. I have in family ex ambasador to Japan, who was there four years and even that didn't induce him to learn local language, there was no need for it for one, also once you get to know Japanese society more, from close up and firsthand, you may change your mind... I'd definitely would be interested why somebody would like to learn Japanese. Like maybe he already knows some related lang from that region? Also at what level you gonna learn, just to understand and speak a little or also write, and if write, at what level (in kanji or alphabetic etc)? I can imagine for example that manga comics fan wants to learn to read... I and my brothers learned French that way, reading comics when we were young. However for that we needed just a simple dictionary and tons of time spent over the comics, with Japanese its different :devilish:

The simple reason why I am learning Japanese is, simply I like the language, Once I know enough I will visit Japan, sure you can get by with English and common tourist phrases but I want to do more then just sight-see, I want to be able to talk to the people, get a feel the different culture. Yep, I'd say Anime/Manga is also one reason because I enjoy reading / watching it enough I don't want to be reliant on SubTitles (they are either delayed or abandoned).

I am the sort of person if I am going to do something I won't cut corners I will make sure I do the best I can at it so naturally I will aim for N1. I would say I've actively started learning Japanese since the start of the new year (31/12/2015). I am currently doing about 8~10+ hours studying a day on it (maybe more), I will be keeping this pace up for the next 6 months or until I've reached my target. I know the full Hiragana/Katakana (Read,Write + Type,pronounce). Currently, I am going through the sentence structure / grammar, and about 200~ words. When I mean Know, I mean Read/Write/Pronounce/Comprehend. I deal with Kanji when they come up but I will focus on them after I know the basis of language but I know about 20~30 of them.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, wish you all the best then :eek:nthego: hope you will manage to squeeze in some mir coding

Last edited:

<SOSO>

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 8, 2012
It's a good thing ofc, if u have the will to learn a new language tht is :)
I would like to learn mandarin, purely because it's the most spoken language on the planet...but the lack of will and the fact tht im a lazy bastard doesnt help much.

Last edited:

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
all i know is yata and horey crapp. both from heroes lmao.

i would have thought anyone learning japanese would rather learn mandarin? more popular language and alot more people speak it also i think the english cultre is less popular in china or mandarin places so they know less english than most other nations.

ofcourse the anime/manga thing over rules everything i said. i imagine if all these new MCU movies had to be subtitled i would try to learn the language they are in.

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
all i know is yata and horey crapp. both from heroes lmao.

i would have thought anyone learning japanese would rather learn mandarin? more popular language and alot more people speak it also i think the english cultre is less popular in china or mandarin places so they know less english than most other nations.

ofcourse the anime/manga thing over rules everything i said. i imagine if all these new MCU movies had to be subtitled i would try to learn the language they are in.

Gotta love Hiro Nakamura and his Powers, Are you watching Heroes Reborn ?

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
Gotta love Hiro Nakamura and his Powers, Are you watching Heroes Reborn ?
i was until i heard it was not getting renewed, i would rather not finish the story at my own choosing that be left hanging by the TV companies.