Battle Point System

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
I’ve always been a big fan of talent trees in games and/or points acquired to spend on your character making diversity amongst the masses and your own unique touch to your Hero.

With that said, has anyone ever tried a “Battle Point” system to spend on different attributes of your character?

My idea would be to implement this system on a Lower rate server where the levels can get abit “grindy” and have a 2nd exp bar that lvls up twice as quick providing you with a battle point to spend on Attributes.

See table>
(Approx examples)

2C94ECEE-F60D-46F0-A9D6-6450A757E248.jpeg

This system could encourage a long life lower rate server whilst keeping you entertained with the double fast “battle point” bar.

You could have a GameGold purchase option to reset your spent “battle points”

If your all out PK you may just go for MC/DC/SC/MR etc..

If your a hunter gatherer...go for the bag pages/weight..

If your not interested in PK and PVE suits your style maybe a more balanced approach of AC/AMC/DC etc..

Please comment thoughts?

Reactions: Martyn

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Like the paragon system, Iceman's(?) server had.
It simply doesn't work in Mir due to PvP. The no-lifers become untouchable.

Your example does have a cap. tho there are no options for customization?
Every player with 100 points will have the same added attributes?

An infinite 'paragon system', No.
A talent tree system with a level hard cap, designed for customization and not ridiculous power creep, sure.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I always thought of a different way about approaching this with implementing a 'hard cap' on levels.

So when you reach say the Hard Cap of 45, every level you do after 45, adds a "Talent Point" which you can add to AC / MAC then the second stat goes to DC / MC / SC 3rd Element and it loops.
Then when the cap is lifted, you level as normal until you reach the next hard cap and then the system comes back into play.
This way the casuals have a good chance to be the highest level you can be, while the hard core players have the advantage of say a flat 1 AC / DC / element over their level casual counterparts; the motivations for small stat increases may not be enough but it was the way I was originally going to do it; hence why I didn't add it.

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Your example does have a cap. tho there are no options for customization?
Every player with 100 points will have the same added attributes?

The cap is 100 battle points...what you spend them on is the customisation. So no not everyone will be the same it would create a lot of differences.
Post automatically merged:

Didn this exist on 1.9 files?
Not sure mate, I miss the grind but then again I’m casual these days so the extra quicker bar would keep me entertained I think.

PathOfExile skill tree is my favourite to dabble with, literally spend hours on it deciding haha.

Last edited:

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
The cap is 100 battle points...what you spend them on is the customisation. So no not everyone will be the same it would create a lot of differences.
You are right, I read the last column wrong.

It's a nice start to give some motive for progression.
However, I think it will just end up the same way as the Mir3 system (forgot the name) where everyone just ends up taking the same points per class.
Same with the pig stats, it's just a GG $ sink. The variation is inevitably minimal at best.

If you are going to do it to effect, it would need to force differentiation based staged choices.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
The idea is good but for a max of 10 points in one stat it's not really much to aim for...

Most games that go this route allow you to build a character the way you want e.g. a heavy armour Wiz that uses melee with a hint of magic. Then obviously the meta comes when people discover the best builds which requires some tweaks which changes the meta and on goes the fight.

Depending on how much experience is required to get those points it's just another grind to get something minimal.

PVE and PVP need to be separated in damage calculations and truly tested to create a good balance.

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Yeah your probably right, there just approx values, I tried to avoid overpowering as ppl would have dismissed it str8 away.

The experience would be double as quick as your normal lvl...meaning by the time your lvl1 you would have 2 battlepoints.

Lvl10 .... 20 battle points
Lvl50 (being max) ... 100 battle points

So when the lvls get grindy after 33 on a low rate your still gaining a battle point every 50% making it more entertaining.
Post automatically merged:

For instance with the values I said if your a hunter/gather by the time your lvl 25 you would have accumulated 50 battle points for an extra bag page full of slots.

Or if you are PVE you would be able to have spent maybe 50 points 10 AC or 5 AC and 5 AMC.

PKer? Lvl 25 you could have an extra 5MC for example.

It’s not game breaking but it can give you an edge in the play style you wish to achieve.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Not much "Gathering" involved in mir - so I doubt many would go down that route.
Unless of course you added things worthwhile that people would want to gather.

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Not much "Gathering" involved in mir - so I doubt many would go down that route.
Unless of course you added things worthwhile that people would want to gather.

Opens a window for a wicked crafting server also 👌🏻

Lionsm!ght

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2015
A mir3 hermit style system would do well, as long as you forced players to also spec into hp/mp/bagweight/wearweight etc

Each classes level up bonus's would be much smaller, ie warriors at level 40 would still have more base hp/bagweight/carryweight etc than a wizz at 40, but both would be much less than the current standard.

Then if someone spec'd full mc, they might do tonnes of damage but would get killed rediculously easily
You are right, I read the last column wrong.

It's a nice start to give some motive for progression.
However, I think it will just end up the same way as the Mir3 system (forgot the name) where everyone just ends up taking the same points per class.
Same with the pig stats, it's just a GG $ sink. The variation is inevitably minimal at best.

If you are going to do it to effect, it would need to force differentiation based staged choices.

mir3 style system would work well if expanded upon correctly, however to allow for good customisation the base stats gained per level would need to be greatly reduced. This would then force players to spec hp/mp etc too. Though you may want to give more than 1 hermit point per level to allow for greater customisation.

You could have additional core stats like str/int/dex which could give a group of stats
ie
1 str gives 3hp 3 bagweight, every 5 str gives bonus 10hp
1 int gives 5mp 1 bag weight, every 5 int gives bonus 10mp
1 dex gives 2hp 3mp 1 bag weight, every 5 dex gives 1 comfort/regen