Suggestion Bringing new life to a dying game! Future Features

Vyse

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 29, 2004
Manchester/Stockport
So its safe to say although everyone on the forum loves Mir for what it was the game imo is very dated and in need a fresh coat of paint something that will turn the community on its head similar to like old school did, So I am going to list some of the things I think Mir is currently missing or systems I feel have a place within the community on server to improve the enjoyment of players and add uniqueness to classes.

1. Stats - Mir2/3 are very very basic stat wise and honestly if your playing on a basic mir server without anything new the game is reasonably balanced but as soon as you add things like lifesteal on every hit, and renounces, advanced renounce, magic shield ect balance goes out the window this is because of how simplistic the stat system is within the game and not every stat having a counter. So for me I'd like to see more Owners look at changing it to something like what Mir4/M has.

(Just a side note MirM reintroduced the support aspect of taoist along with the battle companion but they did so in a way that is balanced by having the companions strength based off a stat called arcana (sc) but the taoists actual combat spells based off destruction (dc) I kinda like that idea as they had both full arcana/destruction items or hybrid.

Stats 1.png Stats 2.png

2. Skills - To say the skills in Mir2/3 are outdated would be an understatement wizard are a prime example of this there is 0 point in having an element system in the game as no Owners use it properly instead what happens is most powerful skill are used the rest sit their gathering dust addtionally things like magic shield, and lifesteal are gamebreaking but could easily be balanced if reworked properly. so lets get into it.

Just want to say I liked Mir4 ultimate system hit/kill enemy's charge a special bar and cast a power spell that can turn the tide of battles.

Skill 1.png Skill 2.png Skill C 1.png

Here we have an example of 2023 balancing of Sorcerer (Wizard) Greater Explosion (Fire Bang) So first thing to note you need to obtain the book to learn a skill and it costs coin (gold) to do so but is 100% successful each skill can be levelled 15 times costing more coin, and books the higher you go and each increase provides a small boost to the power of the skills, addtionally their is the awakening system so you can obtain super rare books to add on addtional effects to a skill as shown above once a skill is awakened that effect will always be included in the skill reguardless of the skills level (so long as you have the lvl1 skill) think of it as a passive effect. (some skills gain addtional benefits at lvl3/5/8 example is taoists companion which gains skills of its own that the game automatically uses in combat).

Now your probably wondering whats to stop player just farming the books and making out the skills well in MirM full book do drop but the rates are so utterly low its like winning the lottery to get a full book drop which is why they sell for a lot on the market. Your probably thinking then how to players level their skills basically instead of getting Full books drop you get Skill Pages and then you can attempt to craft a book this is a lot more modern and fairer than the current mir system.

Basic Skill craft 1.png
Basic Skill craft 5.png

So for now Ignore the Beryl Pieces and darksteel as they don't currently exist in mir2/3 the first image contains a common book the next contains your most powerful skill in MirM as you can see to craft them the success chance is extremely lower the higher the book is and the amount of resouces needed increase massively, in mirm you can improve the success chance by leveling the crafting profiency's up but even then it doesn't improve all that much.

The reason I find this method superior to Mir2/3 is simple the pages themselves can be sold/traded which means they will keep a steady price but actually crafting and selling books will contain risk but offer greater profits these will be great money sinks in a server and keep the market stable. it will also make a difference in pvp and push players into geting stronger which is half the fun of a good mir server. Reguardless for me I think this system could be implomented and greatly improve on the current game.

3. Codex - One of if not the best features in Mir4/MirM over times items lose value on the server because players obtain better ones and then the others aren't needed but with the codex this means items will be needed for a long long time and can be used in a way that takes them out of the game adding further stability to the market and prices. Obviously if you add a codex your going to need to add an Enhancement system I preferer the Mir4 one which I will talk about later.

Codex.png

4. Mounts - Honestly I feel the Mir2/3 mounts are lazy I much prefer the MirM system which I will go over below. Mount 1.png Mount 2.png Mount 3.png

Different mounts provide different benefits the higher the quality the more bag weight you have, the faster it moves, the more stats it gives when equipped. addtionally you can equip mount gear that give a wide range of stats but only if your mount is satiety (otherwords fed) the mounts gains experience when you feed it and also as it levels its equipped stats improve. Lastly though are the unique skills each mount possesses example is mine has lvl8 health boost that gives me an addtional 800 hp and lvl1 coin mastery which increases coin drop by 3%. (The current Pig system could be reworked to function like the MirM mount system quite simply in Mir3).

This would add mount food to the shop to soak up some gold, and mount equipment to drops to widen what people hunt for.

5. Spirit companions - So on mir4 you got 5 spirit companion slots and each spirit did different things the higher its quality the better its effects but thats not to say that using 5 legendarys was better than using 3 legendarys and 2 epics because that entirely depended on how you built your character.

6. Magic Stone - each character had 6 magic stone slots that they could equip magic stones into magic stones came in different grades higher the grades higher the rng stat values could be and the more stats the stone could have on it e.g uncommon 1 stat, rare 2, epic 3, legendary 4. this further allowed players to build their characters differently.

Then there are other features like Inner focus, dragon artifacts, mystic pieces, mandala, crafting, enhancing, enchanting, blessing ect from mir4 and mirm that allow for more customising with that in mind by this point characters are so diverse that no one player will be idetentical to another.

Once that is all figured out you can start adding content like Clan expoditions, challenges, Tower pvp 9 towers destroy more than the enemy to win, rumble 5v5 different battle maps, raids, boss raids, Field bosses, world bosses and so on.

Obviously what I am suggesting is a huge undertaking as you would be pretty much starting from 0 as none of the monsters would not be balanced, drops would need reworking, have to decide on what skills each class gets and when along with level cap on characters, and so on talking I'd guess 6-12 months development to add it.

I will say pretty much none of these features will work on a live server because none of the monsters have been adjusted to account for that it would in all likelyhood break the server but if built from scratch or prelaunch where you can fix things I think a lot of these features are improvement for Mir as a whole.

Attachments

• Pet 2.png
    Pet 2.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Pet 1.png
    Pet 1.png
    113 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Meteorserver

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
You're basically making it another game at this point - so why bother. Just play / develop a more modern game if thats what you want.

(I didn't read anything after your skills bit, so if this is an early april fools joke, you got me)

Reactions: 1PKRyan and zedina

Vyse

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 29, 2004
Manchester/Stockport
You're basically making it another game at this point - so why bother. Just play / develop a more modern game if thats what you want.

(I didn't read anything after your skills bit, so if this is an early april fools joke, you got me)
You say that but at the same time the skill system has worked differently depending on what version of mir you played I remember books coming with pages and not being 100% success this is pretty much the same but keep the market on a server stable.

as for skills why not make them more modern changes up the game conciderably if you have to worry about dots killing you or a warrior rooting you to a spot preventing you from escaping forcing iceblock to counter freezing them when it breaks ect sounds a lot more fun to me than sitting there holding F1 well spamming mesh or f1-3 for warrior combo.

I agree it would probably not be concidered Mir2/3 at that point if you added all the features I'm outlining and the stats but it would be an entirely new version of Mir that took the best of Mir4/M which were spoiled by Greedmade and turn it into a unique Mir3.5 or whatever its called for people to play.

Can you honestly say if a bare bones mir2/3 server launched tomorrow without anything new on the game you would want to play it long term? for me I'm tired of short term trash server (when they even pop up) or servers that are the same old **** that I've done a 100 times already on identical servers with another name.

Everyone knows the classes inside out same with the game look at OS UC he is doing something differently and has one of the highest UC this forum has seen in probably 2-3 years. so as much as people cry, kick and scream they want it the same their lying because they get bored and quit a few hours after these server launch.

Anyway I just feel that creators in general aren't using things that could improve their servers conciderably.

CraZyEriK

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jan 23, 2006
Alicante, Spain
would be easy if someone get mir4/mirm set of files to work on them, as you can see finally we got the conquera emulator, just in time files will be leaked and shared

Reactions: zedina

Shyfx

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 19, 2007
You say that but at the same time the skill system has worked differently depending on what version of mir you played I remember books coming with pages and not being 100% success this is pretty much the same but keep the market on a server stable.

as for skills why not make them more modern changes up the game conciderably if you have to worry about dots killing you or a warrior rooting you to a spot preventing you from escaping forcing iceblock to counter freezing them when it breaks ect sounds a lot more fun to me than sitting there holding F1 well spamming mesh or f1-3 for warrior combo.

I agree it would probably not be concidered Mir2/3 at that point if you added all the features I'm outlining and the stats but it would be an entirely new version of Mir that took the best of Mir4/M which were spoiled by Greedmade and turn it into a unique Mir3.5 or whatever its called for people to play.

Can you honestly say if a bare bones mir2/3 server launched tomorrow without anything new on the game you would want to play it long term? for me I'm tired of short term trash server (when they even pop up) or servers that are the same old **** that I've done a 100 times already on identical servers with another name.

Everyone knows the classes inside out same with the game look at OS UC he is doing something differently and has one of the highest UC this forum has seen in probably 2-3 years. so as much as people cry, kick and scream they want it the same their lying because they get bored and quit a few hours after these server launch.

Anyway I just feel that creators in general aren't using things that could improve their servers conciderably.
I do sort of agree that the UI in mirM does make the game a bit better and possibly could work for mir all depends on what your trying to do lol you kind of have the same process I do and try and rip everything apart and rebuild your own, takes so long tho which is why I have so many projects un finished haha

I was using this for the enhancement forge lol

1676808785610.png

Edit:
Only thing I dont like about MirM is the lack of character in the character window like mir does lol

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
I do sort of agree that the UI in mirM does make the game a bit better and possibly could work for mir all depends on what your trying to do lol you kind of have the same process I do and try and rip everything apart and rebuild your own, takes so long tho which is why I have so many projects un finished haha

I was using this for the enhancement forge lol

View attachment 30678
is this ripped from MirM or Conquera?
mind sharing the textures if so? :P

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003

That's kind of the extreme though isn't it. You can enhance Mir without making it in to a different game.

It sounds like you're just bored of Mir - maybe it's time to look at other mmos out there :ROFLMAO:

Shyfx

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 19, 2007
1676809131612.png 1676809141798.png 1676809159716.png 1676809172194.png 1676809183534.png 1676809195047.png 1676809204042.png 1676809217831.png 1676809232014.png 1676809247332.png 1676809304207.png

@zedina heres some more for ya lol
Post automatically merged:

would be easy if someone get mir4/mirm set of files to work on them, as you can see finally we got the conquera emulator, just in time files will be leaked and shared
this might not be good though as when they make new files and stuff it usually has exactly the same features that noone really likes lol which is why everyones playing older mir games lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Vyse and zedina

Vyse

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 29, 2004
Manchester/Stockport
That's kind of the extreme though isn't it. You can enhance Mir without making it in to a different game.

It sounds like you're just bored of Mir - maybe it's time to look at other mmos out there :ROFLMAO:

Yeah its extreme completely agree but none of the features would work on a live server as take codex that could add potentially an extra 50 mc/dc/sc ac/mr just adding that onto any server is probably going to break the current pve game.

Their was a few PVP features I liked in MirM though Rumble 5v5 was cool, and the clan tower battles were good basically guild vs guild basicall huge map 9 towers in a 3 x 3 room lay out first clan to destroy more wins also had a MVP for kills on other players.

The reason I like it is because if you have noobs they can take the tower well main squad goes finds and spanks the enemy preventing them from taking it or other team can spred out try to destroy multiple towers well your looking for them ect.

that is a lot more enjoyable than standing in center of sabuk round sabuk lord for 30 mins =D

Concidering going back to FFXIV not a fan of these crypto mmo's cash shops is way too greedy and the rates are stupid its not something you can overcome with effort only wallet and I'm not a millionaire like some of the players

Post automatically merged:

Been trying to get Lexi to get the owner to launch an EU/NA Mir4 Server for us all to play on well we wait for a leak. I tried one of the chinese servers with the english patch is was decent 5x rates and the shop was probably 1/20th the price of wemades so progress was fast and reasonable but they are deffo raking in the cash on the servers they are up to 5 now probably 200-500 people per server than 1500 bots :LOL: I explained to Lexi a surefire way to limit the bots in a way it would render them useless and be easy to manage the banning of them but owner still hasn't implomented it yet. (reason I stopped was MirM was launching and quite a big latency issue)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shyfx

NoLife999

If God Only Knew!
Golden Oldie
Mar 8, 2004
leeds
again i have to agree mir is just so dated every server just feels the same no matter what is even added (most stuff added is just a copy from another server anyways)

Andeh

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jun 21, 2003
Mir2 is what it is. If you change it too much then it's not really Mir anymore. With what you're suggesting, you might as well just make a new game.

CheekyVimto

It's my Precious!
Veteran
Mar 8, 2005
So its safe to say although everyone on the forum loves Mir for what it was the game imo is very dated and in need a fresh coat of paint something that will turn the community on its head similar to like old school did, So I am going to list some of the things I think Mir is currently missing or systems I feel have a place within the community on server to improve the enjoyment of players and add uniqueness to classes.

1. Stats - Mir2/3 are very very basic stat wise and honestly if your playing on a basic mir server without anything new the game is reasonably balanced but as soon as you add things like lifesteal on every hit, and renounces, advanced renounce, magic shield ect balance goes out the window this is because of how simplistic the stat system is within the game and not every stat having a counter. So for me I'd like to see more Owners look at changing it to something like what Mir4/M has.

(Just a side note MirM reintroduced the support aspect of taoist along with the battle companion but they did so in a way that is balanced by having the companions strength based off a stat called arcana (sc) but the taoists actual combat spells based off destruction (dc) I kinda like that idea as they had both full arcana/destruction items or hybrid.

View attachment 30664 View attachment 30665

2. Skills - To say the skills in Mir2/3 are outdated would be an understatement wizard are a prime example of this there is 0 point in having an element system in the game as no Owners use it properly instead what happens is most powerful skill are used the rest sit their gathering dust addtionally things like magic shield, and lifesteal are gamebreaking but could easily be balanced if reworked properly. so lets get into it.

Just want to say I liked Mir4 ultimate system hit/kill enemy's charge a special bar and cast a power spell that can turn the tide of battles.

View attachment 30666 View attachment 30667 View attachment 30668

Here we have an example of 2023 balancing of Sorcerer (Wizard) Greater Explosion (Fire Bang) So first thing to note you need to obtain the book to learn a skill and it costs coin (gold) to do so but is 100% successful each skill can be levelled 15 times costing more coin, and books the higher you go and each increase provides a small boost to the power of the skills, addtionally their is the awakening system so you can obtain super rare books to add on addtional effects to a skill as shown above once a skill is awakened that effect will always be included in the skill reguardless of the skills level (so long as you have the lvl1 skill) think of it as a passive effect. (some skills gain addtional benefits at lvl3/5/8 example is taoists companion which gains skills of its own that the game automatically uses in combat).

Now your probably wondering whats to stop player just farming the books and making out the skills well in MirM full book do drop but the rates are so utterly low its like winning the lottery to get a full book drop which is why they sell for a lot on the market. Your probably thinking then how to players level their skills basically instead of getting Full books drop you get Skill Pages and then you can attempt to craft a book this is a lot more modern and fairer than the current mir system.

View attachment 30669
View attachment 30670

So for now Ignore the Beryl Pieces and darksteel as they don't currently exist in mir2/3 the first image contains a common book the next contains your most powerful skill in MirM as you can see to craft them the success chance is extremely lower the higher the book is and the amount of resouces needed increase massively, in mirm you can improve the success chance by leveling the crafting profiency's up but even then it doesn't improve all that much.

The reason I find this method superior to Mir2/3 is simple the pages themselves can be sold/traded which means they will keep a steady price but actually crafting and selling books will contain risk but offer greater profits these will be great money sinks in a server and keep the market stable. it will also make a difference in pvp and push players into geting stronger which is half the fun of a good mir server. Reguardless for me I think this system could be implomented and greatly improve on the current game.

3. Codex - One of if not the best features in Mir4/MirM over times items lose value on the server because players obtain better ones and then the others aren't needed but with the codex this means items will be needed for a long long time and can be used in a way that takes them out of the game adding further stability to the market and prices. Obviously if you add a codex your going to need to add an Enhancement system I preferer the Mir4 one which I will talk about later.

View attachment 30672

4. Mounts - Honestly I feel the Mir2/3 mounts are lazy I much prefer the MirM system which I will go over below. View attachment 30673 View attachment 30674 View attachment 30675

Different mounts provide different benefits the higher the quality the more bag weight you have, the faster it moves, the more stats it gives when equipped. addtionally you can equip mount gear that give a wide range of stats but only if your mount is satiety (otherwords fed) the mounts gains experience when you feed it and also as it levels its equipped stats improve. Lastly though are the unique skills each mount possesses example is mine has lvl8 health boost that gives me an addtional 800 hp and lvl1 coin mastery which increases coin drop by 3%. (The current Pig system could be reworked to function like the MirM mount system quite simply in Mir3).

This would add mount food to the shop to soak up some gold, and mount equipment to drops to widen what people hunt for.

5. Spirit companions - So on mir4 you got 5 spirit companion slots and each spirit did different things the higher its quality the better its effects but thats not to say that using 5 legendarys was better than using 3 legendarys and 2 epics because that entirely depended on how you built your character.

6. Magic Stone - each character had 6 magic stone slots that they could equip magic stones into magic stones came in different grades higher the grades higher the rng stat values could be and the more stats the stone could have on it e.g uncommon 1 stat, rare 2, epic 3, legendary 4. this further allowed players to build their characters differently.

Then there are other features like Inner focus, dragon artifacts, mystic pieces, mandala, crafting, enhancing, enchanting, blessing ect from mir4 and mirm that allow for more customising with that in mind by this point characters are so diverse that no one player will be idetentical to another.

Once that is all figured out you can start adding content like Clan expoditions, challenges, Tower pvp 9 towers destroy more than the enemy to win, rumble 5v5 different battle maps, raids, boss raids, Field bosses, world bosses and so on.

Obviously what I am suggesting is a huge undertaking as you would be pretty much starting from 0 as none of the monsters would not be balanced, drops would need reworking, have to decide on what skills each class gets and when along with level cap on characters, and so on talking I'd guess 6-12 months development to add it.

I will say pretty much none of these features will work on a live server because none of the monsters have been adjusted to account for that it would in all likelyhood break the server but if built from scratch or prelaunch where you can fix things I think a lot of these features are improvement for Mir as a whole.
I feel like I need to prefix this post with a ‘this is not a plug’ lol.
I actually tend to agree with you on the needing to bring something new and different.
Although I have learnt over the past almost 2 years while teaching myself to code in c# as I go, that there are purists in the community that do want the original feel and any changes away from the nostalgic core will always cause friction.
However, there are developers and server admins out there (atleast in the mir3 space since I’m not familiar with mir2 enough to comment) that are bringing newer innovations and modern QoL updates to the core source and current servers.

Our server introduced a whole new class (summoner) that after some feedback and tweaking has become a popular new playstyle, we brought in Aggro, added a Pokémon like creature collection system, collectable mounts with new and interesting stat combinations. We added a loot system more inline with modern games, we even recently added in our take on the instance system and have 4 new variations on every major dungeon providing new late and endgame challenges.

I know the other servers have also done similar things Zed has added some amazing new features I hear players raving about the hunting logs system and the upcoming champions system. And although a more recent entry Azura has some great features both live and upcoming too, the codex system looks incredibly promising.

I think there’s a lot more out there than what it first looks like the isn’t just vanilla and the zircon scene seems to be catching a bit of a second wind at the moment with all the new contributors.

I’d also hazard a guess most of these features are already available atleast in part on multiple live servers.

Some of the ideas above I quite like the sound of so may even adapt some myself :)

Reactions: zedina and Vyse

Vyse

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 29, 2004
Manchester/Stockport
I feel like I need to prefix this post with a ‘this is not a plug’ lol.
I actually tend to agree with you on the needing to bring something new and different.
Although I have learnt over the past almost 2 years while teaching myself to code in c# as I go, that there are purists in the community that do want the original feel and any changes away from the nostalgic core will always cause friction.
However, there are developers and server admins out there (atleast in the mir3 space since I’m not familiar with mir2 enough to comment) that are bringing newer innovations and modern QoL updates to the core source and current servers.

Our server introduced a whole new class (summoner) that after some feedback and tweaking has become a popular new playstyle, we brought in Aggro, added a Pokémon like creature collection system, collectable mounts with new and interesting stat combinations. We added a loot system more inline with modern games, we even recently added in our take on the instance system and have 4 new variations on every major dungeon providing new late and endgame challenges.

I know the other servers have also done similar things Zed has added some amazing new features I hear players raving about the hunting logs system and the upcoming champions system. And although a more recent entry Azura has some great features both live and upcoming too, the codex system looks incredibly promising.

I think there’s a lot more out there than what it first looks like the isn’t just vanilla and the zircon scene seems to be catching a bit of a second wind at the moment with all the new contributors.

I’d also hazard a guess most of these features are already available atleast in part on multiple live servers.

Some of the ideas above I quite like the sound of so may even adapt some myself :)

Honestly I could probably name the Mir3 server owners I trust to deliver a good server on one hand and your one of them I did play your server early on for like 3 months at launch but hit a wall and their was an issue I tried to get across with a weapon that was significantly more powerful than ones 5/10/15/20 levels higher that although rare imo shouldn't have out classed weapons that were significantly higher in level and just as hard to obtain.

Anyway feel free to take what you like from it and leave what you don't and its all at the owners discretion I'm not really technically inclined when it comes to codeing and stuff but I do recognise things that will probably improve servers lifetimes and keep players enjoying the game.

I don't intend for any of the OG bosses or dungeons not to be included in any server using these features but they would need adjusting to allow for them to be challenging I also like the Crystal tree mechanics Jamie added in zircon on bosses to make them require groups or spend a silly amount of time to solo, and the summon mechanics of bosses to increase the difficulity of bosses by adding disruptive and painful monsters to the fight.

I quite liked the sets system in MirM The first set we all farmed was an uncommon 4 piece set called platinum set it had universal stats on it about 10-15% less than other uncommon items deisgned for each class, you had to farm it from 4 different locations which took time and effort and upgrading it carried a risk of breaking said set but to keep it relevant for as long as possible it was worth doing. the bonus the set gave was 10% exp gain, 10% coin gain, 15% hp and mp potion efficiency and early on you use a lot of potions and spend a lot of cash so it was worth the day or so to farm the set and continue to use it until you got better gear.

But just taking into account modifying potions how much that could change a class in PVP, Warrior also had 2 skills that healed when cast but had reasonable cooldowns on them that demenstraits lifesteal that is balanced, sorcerers (wizards) still have magic shield but it has a 60 second cooldown, it reduces incoming damage by 50% still and if awakened it applied a 20% defensive buff for 20 seconds that persists even if the shield ends and the shield absorbs a set amount based off its level it felt a lot more balanced. than its been on every p-server I played so far.

Reactions: CheekyVimto

fmtf_

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 13, 2015
One of the few games that could of done with staying out of the community's hands. The expectation of mir has changed drastically over the years. I don't need to argue the case because the numbers speak for themselves. Can't tell me it's a time thing too when RuneScape still pops. Eventually you will throw enough content extras at it. It will become a new game anyway. Good luck figuring out more things to add.. to a rotten core already. Mir was gg 5 years ago.

Reactions: mucklebones

mucklebones

LOMCN n00bie
Jan 21, 2014
One of the few games that could of done with staying out of the community's hands. The expectation of mir has changed drastically over the years. I don't need to argue the case because the numbers speak for themselves. Can't tell me it's a time thing too when RuneScape still pops. Eventually you will throw enough content extras at it. It will become a new game anyway. Good luck figuring out more things to add.. to a rotten core already. Mir was gg 5 years ago.

Can't argue with that. Original was best, still would be today. I get hopeful when a new server pops which is supposed to be low rate and close to original.. pfft they never are. I lurk here just incase with a glimmer of hope that mir falls in to the right hands. It's had too many fresh coats of paint it needs to be sanded all the way back down to where it started.