Cheapest upgrade to play AOC.

Mar 23, 2003
Cairo Orbital Defence Platform
these are the requirments: Required
Processor: 3GHz Pentium IV
RAM: 1GB RAM
Video Card: Shader Model 2.0 and 128MB RAM: NVIDIA GeForce 5800 or ATI 9800

I currently have a athlon 64 3200+, 1.5 GB ram, 256mb ati card (nt sure on model as at work, will update later) windows xp.

i would say im in middle between minimum and recomended, was wondering what upgrade i could do so that i can run the game smoothly, im not fussed about running settings on low just for gameplay really.

Consider upgrading the CPU and graphics card. You'll be wanting GeForce 8600+ (Avoid anything *300, *400, etc).

Take note: Minimum specs are lies. The actual minimum is the "recommended" specs, and has been for years.

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
In terms of what Auron said, the recommended specs for AoC are exactly like the minimum specs. If you have the "minimum" specs then you can probably get the game installed and watch a nice slideshow.

Also, even buying the best computer available to mankind might not run the game well. AoC has been released about 3 months early at least, and is exceptionallu buggy and unoptimised, as well as having several memory leaks.

I have an 8600GT and can run the game anywhere between 20 - 40fps at 1680x1050 on around medium settings. If you have an Nvidia card then its advisable to use the nvidia control panel to enable things like vsync and triple buffering to get the best performance.

The thing that annoys me about the Age of Conan release is that Vanguard ****ed up in the exact same way just over a year ago, and now the morons at Funcom have repeated that mistake, despite the fact that their Anarchy Online launch over a decade ago was the worst MMO launch in history. So they didn't learn from their mistakes then, and aren't learning from industry mistakes now.