CPU overheating problem again :(

smoochy boys on tour

Silent

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 2, 2008
http://img36.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tempz.jpg

Check the following four temp boxes in bottom left of pic, using everest monitor.

blue = gpu
maroon = core1
1st dark red = core2
2nd dark red = total cpu temp

Sits at average of 45-50 when idle but shoots up to 60-65 when i launch poxnora (java game) & lineage, been fine until a couple of days ago just after i put the gtx 260 card in.

as you can see its quite high, i play this game a lot and normally its fine....im pretty high rank too, hence why i need this fixed if i dont play each day my rank goes down forcing me to play skilless noobs which id rather avoid...so please help guys :(

AgentSmith

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 30, 2003
Sheffield (S2)
at first glance i would way that the new graphics card is just pumping out too much heat making the ambiant temprature of your case go up.

how is the air flow in your case? i ould try having an equal amout of fans at the front and back of the case to pull air through the case.

what cpu cooler do you have? the stock ones are known to be poop when the cpu is pushed.

lewis

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 15, 2004
Southampton
maybe you should invest in some better cooling? Though i don't see why you should have to :( are you using a case with little to no vents in it? maybe try leaving the side panel of your computer case off and see if the same happens to narrow it down. Maybe apply some thermal paste to the processor. But your best bet is to invest in more cooling, a better fan, or even water cooling :) though i had a bad experience with water cooling which fried my pc and almost caused a fire.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
your gfx card fan is probably passing the heat to the cpu.

but those temps seem fine to me.

my gfx card is 50 on idle, cpu 33 and 32, goes up to 65 50 and 50 on games.

if you gfx card fan in pushing the hot air to your cpu, mayb get another fan to push it out of the case.

Silent

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 2, 2008
it rises to 65 then to 75 and shuts down, im adding two extra fans to push air in and out hopefully this stops it, if not i will have to leave a side of the case open

fan stopped it overheating quickly but it still hits 70 just takes longer, ill try taking the side case off later....ill just do ff on my ps2

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
what proccessor do you have? my intel e8200 can with stand 80c+ without restarting. although i know its not healthy.

Silent

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 2, 2008
athlon dual core, took the side casing off sits at 50 celsius (cpu) and 60 celsius (gpu) while in a game roughly about 35 & 50 for cpu and gpu on idle.

RedDragonX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 5, 2005
It's possible that the new GTX 260 could of put more of a strain on your CPU, or as people have already said, the card is putting out too much heat.

What Case do you have?, if it's just a generic case then theres your problem, such a card as the GTX 260 needs decent airflow.

Either get some fans, or a new case, or both.