Dual-Channel Memory.

smoochy boys on tour

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
Hi all,

This is really weird, like 15mins ago I made another post, which seems to have disappeared? I hope I didn't make it in the wrong section or something.

In any case, my problem is is that I just bought a new stick of RAM, and there seems to be a few problems. First of all, dual-channel mode won't activate even though I have 2 x 256mb modules in the right place on my motherboard (AsRock 939dual-sata2). The only problem in this matter I can see is the fact that one of the ram modules is from Nanya Technologies and the other is from PNY.

Here are the tabs from my CPU-Z:

show4gp.jpg

Why, I wonder, isn't the manufacturer of the PNY stick reading on the CPU-Z and why is the latency so high?

Also another thing is, which I'm not sure if it is related to the memory, but then again prior to installing it, I didn't recieve such problems; when I was playing, some 10mins into Oblivion, I did a fireball and the screen turned black, I couldn't see anything, ni mouse ni icon etc. I couldn't CNTRL + ALT + TAB and the computer did not respond. It didn't turn off however, which I think is what usually happens with a memory problems. I had to reboot it myself.

I hope you can help :)
Turin

ps - I really do swear I posted this somewhere else!!!

[-----------EDIT-------------]

I just discovered another problem, which I think is the cause of the aforementioned Oblivion error. I used SysTools to set an 'unsupported' divider for my RAM because my RAM is PC3200 (200Mhz/400Mhz) and with my cpu overclocked to 2.4ghz goes to 217mhz/432mhz at 11. I had to set it to divide at 12 which on my system is 150mhz. Now, each time I reboot, it resets itself to the 11 divider? Is there a way to fix this completely?

I hope that was clear!

Last edited:

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
Ok m8, but since I installed the new RAM, I've had two (very brief BSOD, with no text, before restart). One of which I just had moments before I relogged onto this forum.

I asked my not-so-computer-literate friend, and he said its got something to do with the latency on the RAM. Is there any way to make it more stable? I've lowered the RAM to 133mhz for now, to see if that makes any difference. CPU-Z currently reads 177mhz in the Frequency section on the Memory Tab.

Ty for response, ill look here every 10mins.
Turin

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Try 3-4-4-8 @ the 150 (200mhz?).

If that doesn't work try 3-4-4-8 2T @ the 150.

1) Your limited to 3-4-4-8 @ DDR400 because of one of those 256mb modules.

2) A64 doesn't like 4 dimms @ 1T, it may not like your 3 either because of the weird configuration.

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
urbanfox said:
Try 3-4-4-8 @ the 150 (200mhz?).

150 gives me ~199.95mhz

If that doesn't work try 3-4-4-8 2T @ the 150.

1) Your limited to 3-4-4-8 @ DDR400 because of one of those 256mb modules.

2) A64 doesn't like 4 dimms @ 1T, it may not like your 3 either because of the weird configuration.

29hf.jpg

And I set the BIOS thing to 2T. :|

Click here for HTML report of my CPU-Z

The second last table is for my memory config.
Turin

Last edited: