Guide: Hosting over the Internet and LAN 1.9 / 2.3

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
Guide: Hosting over the Internet and LAN 1.9

Apparently there is no working guide on how to do this on 1.9 and i figured this out a couple of days ago, there are a few ways to set this up it all depends on how you plan to host. This guide will explain how to set it up so you can play on the same PC or over a LAN, i will also explain how to set up a no ip service for people who have a dynamic ip.

First of all you will need to set up your network to have a static ip, if your not sure how to do this research it or ask help in another thread (by network i mean your conection to the router and/or your LAN)

Once that is done here comes the fun part, at this point there are a few options.

Hosting over the internet and playing on the same machine:
Go through all your ip's and make sure they are all set to 127.0.0.1

Hosting over the internet with a router and playing on another pc conected to the same router:
Set all your ip's in your files (except for anything to do with the reg server) to the ip address your computer uses on the network.

Hosting over the internet with a router but playing over a seperate LAN:
Set all your files (excpet for the reg server) to your second networks ip address (may begin with somthing like 169.254.xxx.xxx).

This next part looks at setting up a no ip service for use with dynamic ip internet conections, if you have a static ip internet skip to the next part.

Firstly go to This address and sign up there for your no ip account, once signed up log in.

Now you will need to add a new service, on the left of the screen you will see an area labled "Hosts/Redirects" click on add. The next screen is where you set a name for your service, try to keep it short since problem can occur with long names (if you can shorten the begining of the host name to 4 or 5 characters)

Once this is set up go into the downloads section and get the no ip dynamic ip client and install it. Once installed you need to give it some information, set it up with the e-mail address and password you used to create your no ip account, once opend you should see the host service you created infront of you, click the tick box for it to update the the ip address constanntly (set intervals)

Once this is done go into the option and set it to run as a system service, this way it reloads and updates the ip every time you reboot your pc, you can also set the interval in the options, i would recomend an interval of 15 mins.

The next section goes into setting up the server with the no ip address, if you have a static ip internet use your internet ip inplace where the guide says.

Go into the DBServer and load up !serverinfo.txt it will look somthing like this

127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 7200

change the second ip address with the no ip address you just made (example
127.0.0.1 tevo.no-ip.org 7200 ) save and close that.

Now go into your Login Server and load up !addrtable.txt it should look somthing like this

Foundation Foundation 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1:7100

change the second and third ips with the no ip service you created (example
Foundation Foundation 127.0.0.1 tevo.no-ip.org tevo.no-ip.org:7100 ) save and close that.

Now go into your mir200 folder and load up !runaddr.txt it should look like this

change it to the no ip service you made (example
tevo.no-ip.org ) save and close that.

The next part looks at hexing your client manualy in order for it to use the no ip service (the ledu ip changer will not work) if you have a static ip for your internet use the ledu ip changer, for people setting up the no ip hex i would recomend using the ledu ip changer first and set your server name correctly and the ip as 127.0.0.1

Now open your exe in your prefered hex editor, this example shows it in Hex Workshop. Search the exe for a text string as your server name (eg search for Foundation) it should look somthing like this:
Example1.JPG

The red circled "09" is the length of the string, if you are not familiar with hexing here is a little tip. As you can see the string length is 9 characters long (127.0.0.1) and your thinking a 10 length string is set as "10"? nope, Hexing uses letters A - F aswell so if the string was 10 long it would be "0A", setting it as 10 will make it think the string is 16 characters long.

Hex the ip manualy with your no ip address you made (example tevo.no-ip.org) and set the apropiate length, save and close that. this exe is for any 1 conecting to your server over the internet, for you to play over a lan you will need a seperate exe with the ip set to the ip address of the PC hosting over the network. Then you will need to use MirConfig to bind the exe to your dll, load up mirconfig, choose the exe and dll and set the password (more than likley pie) and click save.

This final section applies the final changes needed to make everythng effective. Load up your DB server, you will see 3 buttons at the bottom click on the far right one you will then get a screen looking somthing like this
Example2.JPG

you will need to set the ip how it is set in your server files in the highlighted area below
Example3.JPG

click apply and close then close your db server.

next load up your login server and double click in the white area at the top, you should get a screen like this
Example4.JPG

copy the text highlighted into the box below and change the ip to how it is set in your server files (be careful, it should looklike " serverip:7100") and check the box next to it save then close that.

Now your server should be set up correctly to be accessed over the internet and LAN if you have a friend that nice enough to test it over the internet go ahead and trial it over the LAN at the same time, if you have any problems i will try my best to help you out.

/Anon

Requests stickie ^^

Last edited:

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Re: Guide: Hosting over the Internet and LAN 1.9

Nice guide indeed :), bet it took a while to write :P...

Stickified.

Upvote 0

Zidio

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Nov 2, 2005
LOMCN

Thanks alot Anon i really think this will help peaple (like me) :) nice work buddy!

/Yoda

Upvote 0

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004

ty, i got really pissed off with having no way of accessing my server for a week so i changed every configuration i could thing of to do just that ^^

Upvote 0

Yamma

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 23, 2003

you obviusly spent alot of time on, ty alot m8 :) gonna try it

Upvote 0

GilgaMesh

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 12, 2004
St Helens

Great work Anon, Much help to me as I've recently gone from single modem to router.

Upvote 0

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004

no worries dude hope it helps you ^^

Upvote 0

Yamma

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 23, 2003

Ill take it that you dont have to forward ports?

Upvote 0

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004

if your using a router yes, you need to foward ports 7000 7100 and 7200 to your hosting machine

Upvote 0

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)

Does the No-IP service work on a 1.4 server?? Because i setup the server exactly how it explain above for a 1.9 server. Leo's count says the server is online (it does even when i dont setup the no-ip address in the server files,because of meh ip :P). Anywayz, it said it was online, but when i try connect using a normal mir client (NOT LEDU), it wont let me, it just says "connection closed". So i aint sure if i have setup the client side wrong or the server side.

I changed the ips in mir and mirsetup.ini's to the No-Ip address i created.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

spacemonstar

Yours Truly
Dedicated Member
Aug 12, 2004
England

o.O no-one posted a reply for you yet!

If your accessing the mir server from the same machine, or a mcahine located on your network, you need to use the Internal IP addressof your hosting machine.

I.E: 192.168.X.XX

If you are accessing the Mir Server from outside of your network or hosting machine you mustuse the external IP or alternatively the DNS address provided to you by no-ip.com.

In Summary,

Your Network: Access on Internal IP
Outside Your Network: Access on External (WAN) IP or DNS Address from no-ip.com

Simple!
It always helps to have a friend on hand to check the connection to the server externally.

If you have problems with that:

1) Make Sure your ports are forwarded correctly and to thr right machine

2) Ensure your firewall is turned off (you have an internal one on the router)

3) If you want your own personal firewall such as ZoneAlarm or Windows Firewall, make sure the ports are open to allow packets in and out or the program is enabled as a server program for the case of ZoneAlarm

4) If all else fails and you really can't get around it. Try a bit of Reverse Engineering! Log onto your Router Setup Page, go to the DMZ( DeMilitarised Zone) setup, Configure it to allow your Mir Server to act as a DMZ. This will place it "beyond" the router so to speak. Try connect externally. If you still can't connect, it's a problem with your configuration files or one of the gates isn't opening quite right o.O

If you still have no joy add me on msn.. switch(dot)vampire(AT)googlemail.com and I'll try my best to help you out :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)

Thanks for the reply :)

I have managed to do it now with insane 1.4 server. However, the "No-IP" address doesnt work with the normal 1.4 mir client. it only works with the LEDU client. So i have to use my actual IP for a normal mir client.

Thanks again :)

Upvote 0

spacemonstar

Yours Truly
Dedicated Member
Aug 12, 2004
England

Cool glad it's working!

check on no-ip.com that it's registered to the correct external WAN ip use http://www.whatismyip.org to get the right one. Most only report the proxies you're routed through from the ISP.

If you're using an application to update the IP automaticaly ( I assume you have a Dynamic IP ) make sure it is reporting the correct EXTERNAL IP to no-ip.com
If it's not don't use it. Using just a plain old normal numerical IP is just as easy.

Normally you should use a DNS address if you have an Dynamic IP that changes frequently.
or
You need to hand the IP out alot (makes it easier to remember)

<edited this line because it made no sense!>

I have a dynamic IP so NTL tell me, though it hasn't changed since I got the service a year ago. Your IP won't change aslong as you stay connected to the net anyway. It's the only way to renew the IP, can't do it on the fly ^^

Upvote 0

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004

first post modified to reflect the loss of my old webspace, images working now :)

if you have any queries post them here

Upvote 0

TONTO

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 21, 2003

what do i have to send if i wont to give people my game to play please reply

Upvote 0

Spria

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 24, 2004

Any chance of getting the screenies back? they seem down for me :/

Upvote 0

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004

oops sorry just realised where the pictures were hosted is no longer there, fixed :)

Upvote 0