How to make a successful server from my POV

squall777

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 3, 2004
I simply cant find for a good while a server that i can enjoy for over 3days since Ben stopped making servers (im a non-donor but his servers were just my taste) simply because ppl that make those servers are clueless about what is fun in mir and what is not. So i will make a big post with things i personnally like and things i hate (suppose many ppl will agree on most/some of them) in the hope that it will influence some1 that is about to make a proper server for once.

WHAT TO DO:

-Make all classes OP and strong
Im fed up with those "serious-looking" servers where the pvp is about who will get bored first or run out of pots. Make Warriors 2-3hit the ranged classes and make the ranged classes 5-7hit the war. Will you do that with current/non-rare spells? Will you do it with new/rare spells? Thats not important imo. Fast bursty fights are fun.

-Have as many items as possible
Common, rare-ish, rare, super-rare, mega-rare, super-duper rare, whatever-rare. Why are recently ppl stuck to either having just euro items with couple customs ones(if its low rate) or common sets every 10levels along with the rare sets every 25? Are you THAT lazy or you lack that much imagination to make enough items? Who limits you? Is it about trying to make a server "look serious" or "look mess-arround"? Is it that hard to make many items so that ppl have something to aim for no matter their level no matter the rate of the server without losing the balance?

-Caves
There should be leveling caves, hunting caves(bit harder) and group caves for each set of lvls and all of them should have SUBBOSSES in every floor. Some of the most fun i had in servers was rting arround big floors to find the subbosses.
Also the caves should be balanced arround item tiers. The same way in every mmo once you finish tier 1 caves you move to tier 2 caves ONCE you have the proper equipment etc etc. That way you feel PROGRESS. Of course this probably means higher rate on item stats compared to euro because simply going from dc2 brace and dc5 ring to dc3 brace and dc6 ring isnt something that should allow you to hunt comfortably in a new cave. You become stronger you hunt in harder caves.

-Rates
No1 cares about the rates. It doesnt matter if its low rate or high rate as long as there things to do no matter what lvl it "says" you are. There are no easy servers and no hard servers. There are people that have put more effort and time on say ben's super high rate servers than on euro.
Also you can have a server with lvl cap at lvl10 with tons of things to do lvl1-10 or you can have a ton of "empty" lvls on a server with lvl cap lvl300. Its just usually easier to have a med-high-ish rate for balancing issues (hp) and to make ppl feel some sort of progress.

-Leveling
There should be a lvl cap. When you open your server theres supposed to be content up to lvl X. Thats where the lvl cap is. Then you upgrade the server.
What happens when ppl hit the lvl cap? Its up to you to have enough content to keep ppl busy even at lvl cap.
How you achieve that lvl cap? There are many different types of ppl in mir. Ppl that like bossing, ppl that like questing, ppl that like grinding. All these 3 types should be able to achieve it even at different speed (i would guess the grinders would hit it first).
Also to balance the leveling (no matter if its with exp pills from bosses or usual exp from mobs or exp from quests) once you decide for example to split the content in lvl tiers like lvl1-10 lvl11-20 etc make lvl11+ either require a huge more ammount exp more(and mobs/quests/exppills in lvl11+ give way more exp as well obv) or make it so that lvl1-10 content gives no exp for lvl11 so that ppl will have to get well geared first before proceeding to the next tier of caves (PROGRESS!!!)

-DROP FILES!!!!!
This is the base of your server. This is what makes a server fun or not. Mir is not about fancy maps or mobs its about hunting. IF you have many tiers for items for every X lvls instead of just 1 or 2 its quite easy to make hunting rewarding. If for example you have 5tiers of items for say lvl40-45 (or lvl70-80 since like i said the rate of server doesnt decide if its fun or not) its quite easy to have tier 1-3 drop from mobs and tier 2-5 from bosses (with proper rates obviously). That way even if you make the best tier items super rare like 1/10000 *cough* chronicle *cough* and basicly unobtainable hunting will still be rewarded.
In general though these should be quite random so that there are chances for super drops no matter what you kills. This randomness was what made mir fun.

-Instances
The word basicly speaks for itself. Obviously 90% of the content should world content but wouldnt hurt to have the odd instance so that groups/solo players that dont want to run a cave only to find the boss is killed/camped to have a chance to hunt something which obviously will have less rewards than a normal cave.

-Crafting
This is basicly free content easy to add. Never understood why it was never used properly. It will also help making hunting more rewarding since there could be a few ingredients dropping left a right (not too many since this is not Lineage 2) at different rarities from different mobs to create items, buff pots, exp pots, upgrade guilds, upgrade items. You can even add proffecions. The possibilities are endless. But imo this part aint that important but could be a good extra.

-Punish Deaths
1/3 times you die you should drop something. Simple as that. Makes pvp better, makes solo or small grp hunting tough things harder and in general server better.

-Leveling spells
NO. SIMPLY NO. It takes no skill to afk hitting trainer. Skills should be 0/1 to level end of story.
You want to add lvl0, lvl1, lvl2, lvl3 books in dropfiles in different rarities? Fine!
You want to make em level through quests? Cool.
Just dont make me afk lvl em. Its not fun.

Well thats the ingredients to make a proper fun server because last time i checked current servers are "so serious" it feels like working when "playing" em instead of actually enjoying em. I really think that all the above things should be taken as granted on every single server and then each server creator add his own thing/taste/whatever but unfortunately thats not the case.

I hope someone with good mir knowledge and a proper set of files like ben's files or chronicle files or new C# files reads this and create something that i will finnally enjoy after a really long time since i guess im not the only one on lomcn feeling there hasnt been a fun server for years...

/Mitsos

Last edited:

Jicaa

Pooslice
Golden Oldie
Jul 9, 2003
-Punish Deaths
1/3 times you die you should drop something. Simple as that. Makes pvp better, makes solo or small grp hunting tough things harder and in general server better.

But i'm care bear :(

On a serious note though, that's all in well as it makes PvP more viable as you may get something nice off the player. However if there is someone who wants to go around ganking lower players(especially ones who might have had something very rare drop), then shouldn't the player ganking and going red get a punishment too... dropping your bag contents isn't exactly punishment imo, however dropping a lot off your body would be cool for the people who might want to go out and hunt that dirty red player who is not using a shop kit D:

Other than that, +1 too the rest, not too much out there interests me atm, but I am liking the progress in the C# files :D

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
Your basically just describing some of my servers lol, but i agree with most of it.

The PvP has gotta be balanced tho the server cant revolve around just ppl that like PvP, i always tried to provide something on my servers for the non-pvp ppl by adding a few safe zone levels to certain maps etc.

Also i dont wanna give 2 much away, but a server like that may pop up sooner than you think o.o

squall777

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 3, 2004
Your basically just describing some of my servers lol, but i agree with most of it.

The PvP has gotta be balanced tho the server cant revolve around just ppl that like PvP, i always tried to provide something on my servers for the non-pvp ppl by adding a few safe zone levels to certain maps etc.

Also i dont wanna give 2 much away, but a server like that may pop up sooner than you think o.o

You were one of the ppl i was hoping to read this. And yes i loved your servers but if you read carefully i would like them slightly improved with better itemization etc. Also your servers usually started amazing with unique features etc but on 2nd or 3rd update u lacked imagination and it was just 5 caves and 4 more sets. You were basicly fuking ur own umique features (subclasses for example on OS, the amazing first 200lvls hunting on 3H etc)

Also about the non pvpers i mentioned instances with less rewards or "pay an item/gold to open em" which are just for u/ur grp. Is there a guild that plans to camp bdd? Well let em do it. Jut include some ingrediwnts in norm mobs that let u spawn a boss for u and ur grp or tele u to a private bdd. Its so easy to solve minor things like that and please everyone. Just think outside of that stupid boring euro mir way

And another idea which i never understood why no1 ever even attempted

LADDERS

Every single server is supposed to be "long-term" blablablabla...WHY?
What are the best days in every single server? Yeap thats right. The first couple weeks!
Every single server makes mistakes. Crap drop files, too good dropfiles, bad events, OP classes, UP classes and in general a lot of mistakes followed with a lot of changes during the life of server.
Would it be that bad to re-start the server every say 3months and include all the good updates you have made along with removing all the bad calls/things you had done and give that great start feeling again along with all the new things u have added? To twist it even a bit more how about switching the stats of some caves that were end-game to early-game and vice-versa?
In general it would make server last longer imo than actually last less and this idea can be actually the core of a server tha makes huge changes per "season" if some1 actually gives good thought on it. 3 months is the ideal lifetime of a server imo and would solve all those "1/30000 drop files are stupid" - "u want everything handed on a plate" arguments. Suppose the only problem could be donations but again no server has lasted for ever right?

Last edited:

Wond

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 24, 2004
IRELAND
The greek nig speaks sense. I agree with most of this.

Get busy with it ben.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
My problem with you is that you have never put your money where your mouth is. If everything is so easy to get right and so plainly obvious, why have you not done it yourself rather than complaining about everyone else's perception of what is right for their server?

Your opinions are of course welcome to be voiced as much as the next person, but I think your attitude towards it is condescending to most.

squall777

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 3, 2004
My problem with you is...wait i dont have a problem with you since i dont know you and i dont plan to. I have a problem with you hijaking my thread that i wasted quite a few time in writing and thinking just to personnally say ur opinion about me. U are an admin and could of just used pm's but you know that right.

My post was supposed to inspire a few server creators and perhaps they would end with a successful server and some ppl like me would enjoy it.

Thanks for ur feedback admin. You are really helpful

Lone

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 15, 2007
I pretty much agree with the entire thing - there's a couple of little tweaks id make for personal preference but in general it all makes sense.

The main reason for the lack of servers like that is simply the time it takes to learn how to do it properly and the time commitment required to continually keep content flowing.

I'm currently working on a server for a bit of fun with another old time server owner, it should hopefully be a bit of fun and if we deem it good enough we'll shout about it here. It will be all new maps, quite pvp/guildvguild based and hopefully filled with automated things to keep players fighting against each other in multiple different ways.

(I'm going to pinch the instances idea, its getting my creative juices flowing (or that could be beer dribble))

squall777

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 3, 2004
I pretty much agree with the entire thing - there's a couple of little tweaks id make for personal preference but in general it all makes sense.

The main reason for the lack of servers like that is simply the time it takes to learn how to do it properly and the time commitment required to continually keep content flowing.

I'm currently working on a server for a bit of fun with another old time server owner, it should hopefully be a bit of fun and if we deem it good enough we'll shout about it here. It will be all new maps, quite pvp/guildvguild based and hopefully filled with automated things to keep players fighting against each other in multiple different ways.

(I'm going to pinch the instances idea, its getting my creative juices flowing (or that could be beer dribble))

That's exactly the reason this thread was made. It feels like the ppl making servers the last few months/years are not mir players and have no idea what makes a server fun and what not. So i was hoping i could remind em a few things, give em a different prospect on some fundamental things on a server and if possible inspire em in some others.

I can guess its like a full-time job to create and run a server especially with many features and updates instead of a euro-clone. Its something i personally cant do because of lack of time.

But there are many ppl still making servers and they waste a ton of time to creating one i bet. They just waste their time on wrong things which offer nothing gameplay-wise.

Take for example Chronicles. Their set of files is simply amazing. Possibilities? Endless. The guy must have put a ton of time on those files! But honestly...why on earth euro-clone!!! He had all those things to play with (i like in theory those mass-dropping dropfiles even if he messed them up) and he decided to create a server thats worse than any basic 2.3 TD server available for download. At least his effort proved that with proper facebook/whatever advertising there is still a huge mir community waiting for you all to make a server and just....take their money(saying that in a good way)! Imagine if the same thing happens with the C# files... (which are simply AMAZING. Feels like a new game)

Last edited: