Improving lag on servers.

Join Discord

mythonline

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Oct 2, 2005
As probably everyone here know, Mir players are suffering from a lot of lag. I am suggesting something that might make a bit less lag for the peoples:

Before you start the server, ping some sites on some countries, if the ping is high, disconnect and connect again to the internet, then check again.

How do you check how much ping you have with other countries?
start -> run -> CMD
then write in there - ping ip/site
e.g if I want to ping Israel I would write:
ping [SIZE=-1]cms.education.gov.il/[/SIZE]file:///C:/WINDOWS/Desktop/Iron Will Games.lnk

Any ip or site can be used to ping country, but it is recommended that you will do it on sites that don't suffer from lag, official country sites will suit the best for my opinion.

Try to use physically far countries from your country, for example if you live in USA, ping Israel or china, as they are on the other side of the earth and packages of data will have to go through dozen server to get there.

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
The way to improve Lag on servers is for the server itself to first be located close as possible to you (Same country or one that has a big fat Pipe), have enough Power to cope with the server it is running and a big fat Line (1 TB would do it) to cope with the demand.

If everyone in the UK all visited LOMCN at the very same time, it would bring the Forum to it's knee's. The same way if 2500 people all wanted to play off a server hosted on somebody's home connection.

mythonline

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Oct 2, 2005
The way to improve Lag on servers is for the server itself to first be located close as possible to you (Same country or one that has a big fat Pipe), have enough Power to cope with the server it is running and a big fat Line (1 TB would do it) to cope with the demand.

If everyone in the UK all visited LOMCN at the very same time, it would bring the Forum to it's knee's. The same way if 2500 people all wanted to play off a server hosted on somebody's home connection.
True, but from this is something you can do regardless to where you live or what server you have.

p.s please log to your msn. I wanna talk to you about something

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
And don't ping any government sites located in Estonia.

Would look mightily suspicious at the moment :P, and the return times will be abysmal ;).

-----

The thing with lag, is that you have to identify with the source. Ask some other players of the server to do a ping, and compare it with your own. If they aren't lagging but you are, there's something between you and the server that's the problem.

Run a traceroute (tracert DESTINATION-IP) to find hops that take an unusually long time to respond (exclude the server IP itself, as its likely they block ICMP). Telia.net have a particularly bad reputation among the low latency crowd - like gamers.

Theres also more general things to consider. Such as your ISP's load balancing systems (pipex, eclipse anyone?) or interleaving being enabled on a GDMT ADSL line (8mbit). Although I doubt the extra 20ms interleaving adds, is enough to hinder MIRs slow action rate.

/Leo

LegendOfMir

LOMCN N00B +1
Veteran
But Leo for ping [SIZE=-1]cms.education.gov.il is not enought...[/SIZE]
Is very usefull to make ping [SIZE=-1]ip -t for to see more then 5 sec the ping[/SIZE]
For example for u:

ping [SIZE=-1]cms.education.gov.il -t[/SIZE]

For every body u can taste my Gateway:

ping 89.35.217.1 -t

Is located in Romania !!!!! The best internet in Europe.:) :) :ppunk: :middle: :tongue1:
ASTRAL ; 10 Mb real(80Mbp/s).....

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
My Point here and your missing it badly is that lets say I want to play a Server located in China, even if I wrap my modem up in Wrapping paper and paint it pink it WONT make the lag go away. Another point I would like to make also:

I ping a server and the time coming back is 35ms - great I say, I join and it is lagging Really badly - why you may ask, surely the ping is great?? Well Ping alone does not tell the full story, If I was running a Mir3 Server and had 5 people on-line and you lived next door to me BUT I am grabbing god knows what from Torrents, then there is no Bandwidth left thus everyone will lag, simple as that.

Simple answer, try the server, if lagging al the time, find another until you get one that does not lag or change ISP if ALL online games are bad.

LegendOfMir

LOMCN N00B +1
Veteran
Give to use the Ip of china server, coz we dont belive u. I make ping to
ping [SIZE=-1]cms.education.gov.il and i have ping 135 ms (late). So the the Israel is a near country to my country , so i dont belive u...until the contrary exibits... China is to far to Europe. Internet is via satelits but the world servers are in USA so ...what is the IP?[/SIZE]
We will see...:tongue1: :ppunk: :bounce:

mythonline

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Oct 2, 2005
Give to use the Ip of china server, coz we dont belive u. I make ping to
ping [SIZE=-1]cms.education.gov.il and i have ping 135 ms (late). So the the Israel is a near country to my country , so i dont belive u...until the contrary exibits... China is to far to Europe. Internet is via satelits but the world servers are in USA so ...what is the IP?[/SIZE]
We will see...:tongue1: :ppunk: :bounce:
The question is not just how close your country is, its also how many servers the packages need to move on the way, and how fast the servers are. If you restart the internet a few times, you will notice a different in the numbers you get, sometimes it will be high number, sometimes low.

Also if you ping server in china, and you get the lowest number you can, players from china will notice the difference, but other players from other countries might feel differently. Ive said Israel from USA and China from USA because the information will move around almost the whole world, but since you are from Romania, and there are very few players from china here, I would suggest you ping USA instead, it should go through whole Europe on the way and therefore if both Israel and USA will give you good results, peoples on the way to both countries will have less lag.

@demonic
The thread name is how to improve the lag, not how to completely make it go away. If the server can handle Mir with the resources he is given, there will still be lag, so if the server owner want to improve the lag a bit, he can ping countries around the world, and by restarting the internet to get better place and make players less lag.

This thread is mainly talking to server owners, players who want less lag need to ping the server IP instead of countries around the world.

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
God I give up....
I have an internet connection from Virgin, during Peak time I will probably lag as more people are using this SHARED connection. I can reboot the router / Cable modem and my problem does not suddenly go away or get any better, it might by sheer luck that less are using it.

Lets pretend I am running a Live Mir3 Server, its gets popular and many want to play, eventually the number of people will use up ALL of my bandwidth, they All will lag no matter how many times I reboot the thing. What might happen is people get sick of the lag, go play something else, less people online and lag goes away.

I know you dont understand what I mean and you have rebooted your ADSL and suddenly either people stopped lagging or you stopped lagging in games, this was sheer luck and nothing technical at all, nothing changed apart from your IP maybe, less people could connect the lag went away - what is hard to understand about this?????

mythonline

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Oct 2, 2005
God I give up....
I have an internet connection from Virgin, during Peak time I will probably lag as more people are using this SHARED connection. I can reboot the router / Cable modem and my problem does not suddenly go away or get any better, it might by sheer luck that less are using it.

Lets pretend I am running a Live Mir3 Server, its gets popular and many want to play, eventually the number of people will use up ALL of my bandwidth, they All will lag no matter how many times I reboot the thing. What might happen is people get sick of the lag, go play something else, less people online and lag goes away.

I know you dont understand what I mean and you have rebooted your ADSL and suddenly either people stopped lagging or you stopped lagging in games, this was sheer luck and nothing technical at all, nothing changed apart from your IP maybe, less people could connect the lag went away - what is hard to understand about this?????

You are forgetting that we are talking about mir3 community... you will not get enough peoples to get to the maximum upload anyway...