Information: megabits and megabytes and ur internet connection: things u should know

Join Discord

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
whenever i see someone post they got a 3 megabyte connection i laugh to myself. odds are (great, great odds) that they havent even seen that kinda bandwidth. u see, when u get a 768 dl and 256 upload connection say dsl, ur dl will not be 768 kilobytes. it will be 768 (probably lower becus of line conditions etc etc) kilobits. when u buy internet, its not megabytes u buy it in (unless ur forkin over 10k a month) its megabits or kilobits. for example:

bob orders a very nice 1.5 megabit down and 512 kilobit connection. now, he goes and test's his connection and he gets 1424 megabits down and 456 kilolbits up, which is close to his rated line speed. so now bob decides to dl a game demo from a fast server where the speed of the dl depends on bob's max speed. when bob starts dl he see's instead of 1424 kb/s he's gettin around 175 kb/s. he begins to freak out and commits suicide. now, for one bob is a very mentally troublesome man and all this could have been avoided had he known when u get ur rated line speed and actual line speeds u need to divide it by 8 to see what u actually get (or about 8.19).

example:

bobs dl is 180 kb/s. so multiply that by 8 and u get 1440, close to his 1500 rated line speed.

and there u have it. so from now on i dont want to here anyone say they got a 3.5 megabyte uber connection becus its simply not true its megabits (and if it is megabytes then make room becus im movin 6k miles to come live with u, for that kinda bandwidth id even do dishes!)

bobblyben

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 22, 2003
Thats cos there are 8 bits in a byte. hence 56kilobit old skool modems run at around 6kilobytes per sec.

Xenocide

LOMCN n00bie
Apr 23, 2003
512 DSL, i connect @ 576 somehow :D

so 576 / 8 = 72

But i have had aconstant connection @ 82. How does that work then?

Mar 23, 2003
Cairo Orbital Defence Platform
Xenocide said:
512 DSL, i connect @ 576 somehow :D

so 576 / 8 = 72

But i have had aconstant connection @ 82. How does that work then?

Lack of users in your area online at that time.

It's like when you order a second phone line.

99% of the time, they'll just split the line, which may have been what's happened here, so when the other dude aint on, you achieve higher speeds.

TheDevil

With my AOL ADSL (512Kb/ps) Modem I can download at 130kb/ps. The most I've downloaded at to date is 132kb/ps and that's constant.

I was shocked when I saw this because I'm usually downloading in the 40s/50s.. o.O

Gladiator

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 24, 2003
TheDevil said:
With my AOL ADSL (512Kb/ps) Modem I can download at 130kb/ps. The most I've downloaded at to date is 132kb/ps and that's constant.

I was shocked when I saw this because I'm usually downloading in the 40s/50s.. o.O

Same ere but i go up 2 150kb/ps constantly.

TheDevil

BeMo- said:
I've done a constant 200-220kb/s on a 256/128kbit ADSL line :)

Read your post on the DBZWorld forum. (The sticky "LOOKING FOR: Graphics..") :P

--

Well, aint you special?

Mr. 17MB/ps or whatever it was.. :(

Coolio

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2003
London, England
Lack of users in your area online at that time
i live in a cheap area, i got broadband, an i always download about 50kb sumtimes i can download at 100kb but only last for less than a min, an plus the high speed servers an download accelerator

Rick-e

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 2, 2003
Brighton, UK.
yeh i was chatting to one of my friends who work for the ISP NTL and he said in my area the 128kb/sec is not capped so it actually runs at about 400!

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
well i think that dsl is really popular over there, but cable modem is the **** here. but, u all probably already kinow this, but NEVER uncap, unlock, or modify ur stuff. y? becus ur isp will ban u from there services. think they wont find out? a friend of mine did it with an isp prob over 10x if not way bigger than ntl. they cut him out within 6 hrs.

Gladiator

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 24, 2003
urbanfox said:
well i think that dsl is really popular over there, but cable modem is the **** here. but, u all probably already kinow this, but NEVER uncap, unlock, or modify ur stuff. y? becus ur isp will ban u from there services. think they wont find out? a friend of mine did it with an isp prob over 10x if not way bigger than ntl. they cut him out within 6 hrs.

He was stupid to try getting away with it.UNLESS you know how to hide your presice(wrong spelling) ip but you cant lol as they give you the net.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Gladiator said:
He was stupid to try getting away with it.UNLESS you know how to hide your presice(wrong spelling) ip but you cant lol as they give you the net.

actually, no. when u unlock ur cable modem u are modifying a special file. he was given a new ip for this. they still found out. its not hard for them to figure out each person gets so much bandwidth and all the sudden one client owns the node

Viola A.I.

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 14, 2003
Newcastle - UK
Who didnt know this? Seriously, everyone should know this. These kinda things are novice things even stated in your i-net contracts.

Sounds like a case of only fools and horses.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Viola A.I. said:
Who didnt know this? Seriously, everyone should know this. These kinda things are novice things even stated in your i-net contracts.

Sounds like a case of only fools and horses.

no one in the world reads that 17 page thing. nd most ppl dont even know its wrong, they do it half the time thinking its another performace tweek.