Is Mir about to Die?

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
But then when it's 1-80...have you changed any of the original skill levels? As I suspect it would be 50 in a day, 50-80 being slower? So you essentially have all the skills (Such as FF and TDB) on day 1? That is boring to me lol...in Mir2, once you have those skills you are rarely given reason to use anything else :D That's why I prefer the old school progression in Mir2.

Ultimately it's also why I actually prefer Mir3 over Mir2 because of the much greater variance in skills, Mir3 you aren't just casting the same crap over and over in all caves, you do actually need to change it up at least via the elements. If planned right with changes in elements and stats, you could make something really unique.
Yeah everything is changed to balance it out, we've had a lot of stuff put in to help the game feel a lot smoother and more rewarding, so you wont get FF at 44 still :)

Still really early doors here though.

Really like the effort n detail in Sanj's server.
Safe to say a standard was set for 'visuals' and other server owners haven't ignored the challenge ;)

HxH

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
May 17, 2017
Not really lol but slowly, the one who loves mir when they are teenager still gonna play occasionally like me, there might be time u struggle with real life issue and u dont have time, but in the end, we all come back once a while to enjoy old nostalgia again lol.

Reactions: sweetfa

sweetfa

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 30, 2003
UK
I never watched Game of thrones. My wife and daughters loved it untill the final season. I just never really got the feel for Mir3 i get that some people love it. I think the only mir3 i ever really got into was The origional Extreme. The latest one is actually rather good too. I think i am definitely a mir2 kind of guy though

Reverance

Final Heaven
Supporter
Veteran
May 25, 2013
Scotland
It's definitely had its ups and downs.

I can't say any servers in the last few years have particularly interested me.

Sapphire and Euro Reborn are the 2 coming up that actually make me want to play.

fmtf_

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 13, 2015
Not a single person in this forum is dreaming for the actual euro mir rates...fk that.
Nice! I didn't realise i needed you to speak for me. :rolleyes: Not everyone back in euro had all the free time to level either, I don't get this illusion where now.. all of a sudden no one has free time. Your practically adding to your own confusion. Too slow to level and no one has the free time, but no one wants to play the game between 1-40, Which one is it? Your basing everyone's attitude towards the game from your own experience.

And i repeat, much to everyone's joy, Probably year #4 since I've touched a Mir server. Mainly down to stupid level rates and achievable end-game in no time at all, The reason people kept playing was to reach end game. PVP on Mir has got to be the most self obsessed cheesefest i have ever seen, where people mistake actual skill, which is not really apparent in any MMO, not to the level of FPS gamers. Im all for Wars/PVP over bosses but acting like its actually anything significant for Mir3 at-least is a joke. Just look at the strength in numbers in MIR3 servers now. I guess thats also just down to graphical bugs and not running liquid smooth 144 frames on a game from early 00's :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: Xzoviac

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Nice! I didn't realise i needed you to speak for me. :rolleyes: Not everyone back in euro had all the free time to level either, I don't get this illusion where now.. all of a sudden no one has free time. Your practically adding to your own confusion. Too slow to level and no one has the free time, but no one wants to play the game between 1-40, Which one is it? Your basing everyone's attitude towards the game from your own experience.

And i repeat, much to everyone's joy, Probably year #4 since I've touched a Mir server. Mainly down to stupid level rates and achievable end-game in no time at all, The reason people kept playing was to reach end game. PVP on Mir has got to be the most self obsessed cheesefest i have ever seen, where people mistake actual skill, which is not really apparent in any MMO, not to the level of FPS gamers. Im all for Wars/PVP over bosses but acting like its actually anything significant for Mir3 at-least is a joke. Just look at the strength in numbers in MIR3 servers now. I guess thats also just down to graphical bugs and not running liquid smooth 144 frames on a game from early 00's :ROFLMAO:

Euro rates is where it took 2 years to go from 44 to 45. If that is what you're waiting for, you may as well never play Mir again. Simple fact is, servers don't even last that long. You will at best reach Lv.20-25 before it gets shut down.

That alone, means it should never be a thing.

Now jumping onto a server and getting 40 in a day, is crap. But over a couple months? No problem...that leaves another 2-3 months to enjoy the fighting that the other half of the playerbase thinks is where the fun part is.

If a server could survive for 5-10 years, with a decent player base at euro rates...I would absolutely play it, but it's a pipe dream. I don't personally have the same level of time commitment I did 20 years ago, but do I have time to throw 2-3 hours a day on average? Probably.

Reactions: Sanjian

fmtf_

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 13, 2015
Euro rates is where it took 2 years to go from 44 to 45. If that is what you're waiting for, you may as well never play Mir again. Simple fact is, servers don't even last that long. You will at best reach Lv.20-25 before it gets shut down.

That alone, means it should never be a thing.

Now jumping onto a server and getting 40 in a day, is crap. But over a couple months? No problem...that leaves another 2-3 months to enjoy the fighting that the other half of the playerbase thinks is where the fun part is.

If a server could survive for 5-10 years, with a decent player base at euro rates...I would absolutely play it, but it's a pipe dream. I don't personally have the same level of time commitment I did 20 years ago, but do I have time to throw 2-3 hours a day on average? Probably.
4 years and counting. Don't think im expecting to play again :ROFLMAO: If a server doesn't aim to survive for 5-10 years. What is the point in the server at all, to last a year like every server i have witnessed from great distance in the last 4-5+ years. You guys went down a massive rabbit hole thinking the more you change the game, the better results you will get, evidently that has proven wrong, as shown by survival rate of these servers.

Exactly, you don't have the level of commitment, so it should be based around you? This is where i get annoyed hearing quotes like that. But in 2004 everyone was jobless.. got it. What good has any server done recently taking on this stupid levelling rates, nothing.. just constant regurgitation of poor servers.

Private servers have changed the direction of MIR drastically.. to where it is deemed pointless to even bother. Im basing this off my MIR3 experience though. I have yet to see a Private server get close to an official server in terms of fun. Ice&Fire was about the best for III, because the GM was inactive and using Vanilla rates. The only reason people stopped playing was because of the inactive GM not able to reset the server when needed to fix bugs/issues.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
4 years and counting. Don't think im expecting to play again :ROFLMAO: If a server doesn't aim to survive for 5-10 years. What is the point in the server at all, to last a year like every server i have witnessed from great distance in the last 4-5+ years. You guys went down a massive rabbit hole thinking the more you change the game, the better results you will get, evidently that has proven wrong, as shown by survival rate of these servers.

Exactly, you don't have the level of commitment, so it should be based around you? This is where i get annoyed hearing quotes like that. But in 2004 everyone was jobless.. got it. What good has any server done recently taking on this stupid levelling rates, nothing.. just constant regurgitation of poor servers.

Private servers have changed the direction of MIR drastically.. to where it is deemed pointless to even bother. Im basing this off my MIR3 experience though. I have yet to see a Private server get close to an official server in terms of fun. Ice&Fire was about the best for III, because the GM was inactive and using Vanilla rates. The only reason people stopped playing was because of the inactive GM not able to reset the server when needed to fix bugs/issues.

I'm getting the impression that you think I agree with the lack of time excuse? I don't lol.

Mir is Mir, it's the grind, the drops, the PKing, the bosses and the slow progression. But the fact remains that servers do not last long enough, because it doesn't make money long term.

If it doesn't make ends meet, it goes offline. You can't fault people for that. But the servers you've mentioned are the one who fleece the community for thousands and run off after 3 months. What do you expect to most likely to succeed and gain attention? The thousands or the playerless 5 year servers?

People don't play for long stretches anymore...with the constant up/down and repeat crap that comes out, why would you...play for 6 months hardcore just for the server owner to ditch and run? No thanks.

Show me a server thats up for a long stretch, and making ends meet with no side dealing going on with a decent player base to game with...and i'm all in.

But I still enjoy the game enough to have a middle ground. Ones that last at least 6 months, doesn't give everything on a gold plate, and no corruption with a bit of effort shown by the owners. The rest? I pretend like they don't exist. I jump onto a server MAYBE once a year...

fmtf_

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 13, 2015
Show me a server thats up for a long stretch, and making ends meet with no side dealing going on with a decent player base to game with...and i'm all in.
Would you be all in though really? without having catch-up mechanics, 100% successful refines, no flinch.. whatever other snowflake sh*t that has been implemented in these servers in recent years, Im not convinced. I dont mean to attack you, but this goes for 90% of the community honestly. You guys asked for easy mode time and time again, balance this - balance that.. my sword doesn't work as good as this guy.. or some flakey excuse and Im sure it becomes near impossible for a server owner to keep his/her sanity or interest. I don't know what is so hard about leaving a game vanilla, and even restricting area's for a period of time, as long as there is no pets un-taming, or bosses not failing to respawn, I really don't see how anyone could go too far wrong. Tweak the little things, not the big things.

Unfortunately people seem to have some entitlement of when an event is on, and they miss it, that its not fair, its these sort of attitudes in my mind that has sent this game down the rabbit hole into mass confusion. MIR lost its identity hard in recent years, I wont speak for everyone but for me personally, the PVE grind / potential drops (barely ever) / not being directed to the sub boss on the mini map / breaking weapons / failing or succeeding refines / being skint and grinding for cash, was the fun part for me. Its become very pvp-end game focused from what i can tell. I don't know, like you i jump into a server, once a decade (at this rate)

Last edited:
Reactions: mir2pion

Fusion

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Ireland
I have yet to see a Private server get close to an official server in terms of fun. Ice&Fire was about the best for III, because the GM was inactive and using Vanilla rates. The only reason people stopped playing was because of the inactive GM not able to reset the server when needed to fix bugs/issues.

This was the best server iv ever played, only server that came close to what i fell in love with. i liked how the GM was never on in some aspects, of course was bad when he could not fix issues.

i all ways say id love an wemade clone with some small upgrades around events/pvp but people all ways say you think you want that but you dont :P

the problem i find my self with servers atm is if there is 30- 50 users this is an small user count and half half of this are afk/bots.

and this leeds to poor pvp

Reactions: fmtf_

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Would you be all in though really? without having catch-up mechanics...

Unfortunately people seem to have some entitlement of when an event is on, and they miss it, that its not fair... Its become very pvp-end game focused

This easy mode on mir relates to easy mode irl, today pple are mooching on governments and in mir on server maker.

I can't recall a server that didn't include noob guild from day one (!!!) that gave you extra exp. You pretty well wonder why the server didn't open with lev40 starting level with items for it, why pay lips service to that original euro game experience.

In connection with that, in the past I have tried to join older servers that jacked up starting level and I never put roots down and stopped logging on after several days or even the first day. Bottom reason was always the lack of point to play.

I mean why then not put up a server with high starting level, start with armours with flashy wings and without hunting caves (or only 'premium' ones), with only challenge rooms for PvP and boss fighting and suck in all of those who want that and then somebody can put up server for those of us who like the game euro style.

My pet peewee is the rank table cutoff @20 places, I mean is that so %^& hard to make it scrollable and keep it 'clean' by listing only accts that log on at least once a week and maybe start #lev20 (does the rank chart put too high load on server resources?)? The thing is if you aren't in top twenty, you are nobody, can't be said more clearly to you by the server owner.

Reactions: Fusion and fmtf_

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
This easy mode on mir relates to easy mode irl, today pple are mooching on governments and in mir on server maker.

I can't recall a server that didn't include noob guild from day one (!!!) that gave you extra exp. You pretty well wonder why the server didn't open with lev40 starting level with items for it, why pay lips service to that original euro game experience.

In connection with that, in the past I have tried to join older servers that jacked up starting level and I never put roots down and stopped logging on after several days or even the first day. Bottom reason was always the lack of point to play.

I mean why then not put up a server with high starting level, start with armours with flashy wings and without hunting caves (or only 'premium' ones), with only challenge rooms for PvP and boss fighting and suck in all of those who want that and then somebody can put up server for those of us who like the game euro style.

My pet peewee is the rank table cutoff @20 places, I mean is that so %^& hard to make it scrollable and keep it 'clean' by listing only accts that log on at least once a week and maybe start #lev20 (does the rank chart put too high load on server resources?)? The thing is if you aren't in top twenty, you are nobody, can't be said more clearly to you by the server owner.
c files now as scrolling rank

Reactions: mir2pion

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
c files now as scrolling rank
But that will take ages to percolate to servers, to the smaller ones that are usually long time in development in particular.

Last one I was on just recently, it was so old files that when mir window was not active, its sound would be muted, also its icon in Volume Mixer was small, as it should be. Made for a nostalgic feeling. BTW still online.

Last edited:

sweetfa

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 30, 2003
UK
Basically i think Mir will die only if we allow that to happen. There are a bunch of servers coming up and more thereafter. I have personally been here everystep of the way since 2003 and i intend to see it to the bitter end. I hope you lot do the same as mir wouldnot be the same without you all (even the bad guys)

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
Basically i think Mir will die only if we allow that to happen. There are a bunch of servers coming up and more thereafter. I have personally been here everystep of the way since 2003 and i intend to see it to the bitter end. I hope you lot do the same as mir wouldnot be the same without you all (even the bad guys)
You are impressive my friend.

What we will to live, will live.

The bad guys made Mir more the fun.