little internet problem ne ideas?

FaithLess

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 23, 2004
cambridge
right i gotta problem with my internet.. i have 8mb tiscali adsl and everyday pretty much at 5pm its running so slow any games with launchers i.e mir, archlord even xfire wont start up only CS seems to work but its not laggy cuz my browser is fine most downloads and cs anyone heard of this before?

p.s ive already contacted my isp so dont recommend that :)

AgentSmith

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 30, 2003
Sheffield (S2)
i see your future its in the computer help section
[Edit]

5pm you say the same 5pm when people get in from work and school. over the xmas period my 10mb line was lets just say i cursed alot you should expect some slow down at high peak times

Last edited:

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
right i gotta problem with my internet.. i have 8mb tiscali adsl and everyday pretty much at 5pm its running so slow any games with launchers i.e mir, archlord even xfire wont start up only CS seems to work but its not laggy cuz my browser is fine most downloads and cs anyone heard of this before?

p.s ive already contacted my isp so dont recommend that :)

Well done. You've met traffic shaping ^^. Certain types of traffic go slower at different times in order to ease congestion. Tiscalli shape EVERYTHING other than HTTP - and they'll even shape that if you download at full speed for too long.

IMHO, your best bet is to migrate to a different ISP if you care about latency. However if your still within your 12 month contract email the person in the quote below as instructed. Also mention what you have here.

Can anyone who have these problems please e-mail me on [email protected] with subject line "Tiscali Problem" and I'll send you a contact at Tiscali who can look at this for you.

seb

Good luck
/Leo

FaithLess

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 23, 2004
cambridge
thanks a lot for replies guys.... erm leo do you mean e-mail him with my problem?

EDIT: can anyone recommend a good adsl isp (as i cant get cable -.-)

Last edited:

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
thanks a lot for replies guys.... erm leo do you mean e-mail him with my problem?

EDIT: can anyone recommend a good adsl isp (as i cant get cable -.-)

Just do as he instructs in the quote. email him with "Tiscali Problem" as the subject, and include a short description of whats happened to your games.

If your stuck on Tiscali's 12 month contract, you will have to pay the remaining months to get out early. However if your not, consider another ISP.

I would recommended you mine, but we're being flooded with new signups so I'm being selfish and not advertising :P. So I say you should go with someone else. Like SkyBroadband (16MB @ £10p/m if you have a sky subscription).

/Leo

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
only problem there is no sky subscription =/ thats outta tha window also :( any others?

Avoid all the mainstream ISPs like the plague. They charge too much, enforce ridiculous caps, and often have sneaky acceptable usage policies.

Off the top of my head try/google:
-Be
-IDNet
-Vispa
-Xifos
-Zen

I've not looked at their sites, so you will have to look through them for pricing and policies. Just remember to lookout for download caps and smallprint.

/Leo

FaithLess

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 23, 2004
cambridge
is download usage going to effect me with playing online games at all? as in will i get the same sort of problems i have now? or is it purely downloading?

EDIT: can anyone give their opinion on this ISP http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=fixedmain_res im looking at option 4 as from what i gather they have no restrictions and resonable price

Last edited:

evildan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 8, 2004
Dartford/Kent
I currently have Tiscali and have the same problems and a few more on top...bang on 6pm i cant connect to any mir server or WoW servers simply because of downloading to much during peak times. If you still have months left on your contract i advise you to download as much as possible during peak times and you will recieve a message like this

Although your service will still be unlimited, your experience when
downloading at peak hours will depend on what you and the other
heavy users are doing. If everyone is web-browsing and reading
emails, you will experience normal broadband speed. If on the
other hand everyone continues to use Peer to Peer or file sharing
software you will experience slower broadband speeds.

Your broadband service will not be affected outside of the peak hours.

If you wish to seamlessly migrate to another service provider using a
MAC Code please call the cancellation line 0845 077 4488, advise the
agent you have received this communication to obtain your MAC Code.
You will be permitted to migrate away regardless of whether you are
in contract or not.

If you have a query regarding this letter then you can email
[email protected]

Important Note: When emailing please use your Tiscali email
address ([email protected]) and use the following reference
in the subject line "FUP Final Letter". It may prove difficult for
us to process any queries or requests without this information.

Yours Sincerely,

Tiscali Broadband Team

I will call them tomorow and find out if they will actually let me migrate for free...this http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-max.php seems like a better option than the one your looking at but it's up to you

Last edited:

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
is download usage going to effect me with playing online games at all? as in will i get the same sort of problems i have now? or is it purely downloading?

EDIT: can anyone give their opinion on this ISP http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=fixedmain_res im looking at option 4 as from what i gather they have no restrictions and resonable price

Eclipse shape bittorrent downloads. Quite an unusual setup actually. According to some users if they have any torrent downloading, ALL internet traffic comes to a standstill.

As for usage. I don't think your typical game will be much a problem. However still look at the list I gave, those ISPs are a bit more competitive.

/Leo