lol

Join Discord

DeathsDoor

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 9, 2004
Kurdistan
"A 43-year-old Japanese player in a virtual game world became so angry about her sudden divorce from her online husband, she logged on with his password and killed his character.

She is now being held in a real-world prison on suspicion of illegally accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data.
While police have not yet formally charged the woman, she could face up to five years' jail if found guilty.

Police said the piano teacher used her online husband's ID and password to log onto the online game Maple Story to carry out the virtual murder.
They did not believe she had plotted any revenge in the real world."

discuss

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
its fake.

theres no laws like that.

Well there definitely are in the UK, it's called the Computer Misuse Act of 1990.

I expect there are similar laws in other countries, and if like they're like the UK they carry pretty big sentences and unlimited fines. Hacking is pretty serious business when it comes to the law.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Surely nothing about games?

Besides it doesn't say she hacked his account, perhaps he gave her the details.

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
Surely nothing about games?

Besides it doesn't say she hacked his account, perhaps he gave her the details.

It covers computers as a whole, unauthorised access is classed as accessing anything on a computer that you haven't been authorised to view. Games, spreadsheets, websites, documents, source code for pong.. anything.

It doesn't say that, no. But the fact she's been charged for 'illegally accessing it' kind of assumes it don't you think? :p You can give someone the keys to your house but if they go in there and destroy your possessions you can still get the law involved.

When it comes to computers you can pretty much tell someone 'not to view' something and be protected. Law is actually very rich in terms of justification for illegal actions, it's just that the authorities in crime-rich countries like the UK and the US have far bigger things to cocern themselves with and far too few staff to deal with the minor cases.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
I read somewhere there was laws in Japan to do with online games.

Not sure if it was true.

^G0trex

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 7, 2003
Bham
How did she "illegally access" his account though? It doesn't say she hacked it, and let's be honest, she probably didn't. I'm pretty sure she already knew his login details...

It's his fault for not changing his password. He's the only liable one for allowing her access in the first place.

Never heard so much trollop in all my life.

/not gotrex