Mir3 - Developer Question...

smoochy boys on tour

hallmat

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 19, 2007
am i able to get a look at that source code? and that of the old job files please

Skunkmeister

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 10, 2007
I've been working on a VB.net Mir3 client\server project for a few months, currently have a full full dx9 textured-quad rendering engine, using pixel shaders (1.1, will work with geforce 3/4ti +, means you can produce the para 'stoned' effect, i found this impossible with renderstates), a 99.9% complete algorithm for reading the wil files, which ive converted to a custom format for quicker loading in dx, format of map files was easy and is sorted, have already read map files and rendered them to screen correctly, i even had a dude running around before deciding on some serious restructuring.

incase you were wondering, im not using the official protocol/database/fileset, i was basicallying aiming for just using the gfx sound and maps, and making a quick set of tools for quick production of unique mir worlds.

using a .net console application for the servers would also mean it can easily be ported to linux (http://dev.mainsoft.com/), just incase you need convincing not to use delphi

Coly

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 31, 2005
Germany
The same I have made with Delphi, without Pixel Shaders, the Point to don't use Shader is the most User play this game, because the requirements are low. Shader Suport say then you can Only play the game with GFX-Cards with PS-1.1 and higher standards. You don't need Shaders to make Stoned effects or other effects. For the request to play Games with low requirements look here and the player Count www.tibia.com ^^ ...
The Language is not the Problem, you can it port to Kylix and SGL or OpenGL and then you have the same. The Main Problem on Dot.Net is you need the Runtime Packs like the older VB. My Opinion is with VB we go back and not forward... Ok I know the most here have no Knowlage in Programming and so
you use a very easy language like VB.

Skunkmeister

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 10, 2007
the only other method for the stoned effect ive had working so far is a custom method to create a seperate texture, obiously using the cpu meaning it lags like hell. the geforce 3 series was 2001, pretty old but they still sell machines with just the onboard so i see your point. all other effects (drawing magic files with correct transparencys, color tinting etc) work ok, with the right combination of renderstates. the pixel shader version (if any) supported by the client hardware can always be detected and renderstates used instead. the engine is designed in such a way to make any change like this as easy as possible.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=345032
found this in my bookmarks, this is the closest i have to a working example, the only problem being it overwrites the alpha channel. its uses texturestates so the second pass should be able to restore that, but i wont have time to check this till later.

the reason i suggest the grasshopper thing for porting to linux is its a simple re-compile of the original source, the framework claims to take care of everything, meaning updating the different sources and keeping both versions the same isnt a problem.

another advantage of .net being the CLR, no matter what language you write the code in it all comes out the same, and essentially C++ is no faster than VB. this also means that youre not limited to one language, a server coded in vb can load plugins written in c#/++, and even compile assemblies at runtime from script (goodbye mir npc scripts hello native code). ive never tried but im sure there must be a way of doing this with unmanaged code (delphi, vannilla vb etc.) too.

Coly

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 31, 2005
Germany
Ok at first I see you don't know dot.Net ^^ ... all languages on Dot.net made Jit-Code not Mashine Code, so it Compile on the fly at Runtime, is the old Basic way with a littel bit change, it don't compile the full Programm it Compile only the needed function at runtime, so you get it faster as old VB.
Pure Compiler (mean no dot.net) make full Compiled Mashine Code.
Next problem is to can't use ASM on dot.net and this I dislike fully...
My Problem with dot.net is I have no change to get it faster, this is the
bad site of dot.net , on pure c++ or Delphi I can made things in ASM to get
it faster. Look, I have a function to Check things in Memory on my AntiCheat Project, this function need with normaly Commands / WinAPI ~14.000.000 CPU Cycles. I have it Optimize with ASM and now the function need only 300.000 CPU Cycles. You understand me ?
I believe if you have Sources in VB to begin the Project to make Client/Server for Mir3, the ok.

Coly

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 31, 2005
Germany
@Skunkmeister, have you stop now the work on Mir4 ? mean you have the old Problem with Offsets ?
I know you have say for long time, you work on other Games like FF. and so...
Other Questen, if you have interest to reactivate your old Project for Mir3 for the Comunety like the DM2 or Carbone Project ??

Skunkmeister

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 10, 2007
looks like it didnt actually post my reply for some reason. try again...

mir4, problems with offsets? i think you have me confused with someone else. my current project is the only mir project i have ever worked on, and in its current state its not alot to look at. Im also currently moving into a new flat, as such i have very limited access to the net until i can get it installed, for which i need a better bank account, so it may take some time. Until then Im still working on the project, there are alot of bits and pieces that need sticking together, a few GUI components to code. Not alot to work out, Im just trying to make as much of it re-usable as possible.

Hopefully in a week or few, ill have the net at my own place and some code to show.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Don't forget about all the work konni and Sir Auron done aswell as td. Lots of different source out and about for mir3 i have some old clients in C# some where but once Carbon is more stable i'll give you a hand if you need it.

DjDarkBoyZ

Dev
Golden Oldie
Aug 11, 2006
127.Ø.Ø.1
Lo!

And in one of my posts is available for download the c++ source code of mir3 server and client (basic).Search in forum :)

Amenovis

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 9, 2006
Germany
so it looks like a start as i said before if someone can need my help ill give a hand :)

lg

ameno