My first uni "assignment "

JoeDunn

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
My first actual coding assessment is due this week for my foundation year(computer science). I am just looking for some generally feed back. It's far from great but its the first thing ive made on my own that some what works. It had to be made in scratch and had to be remake of a classic game so i chose Gradius. Some things ive noticed that i need to fix are, that the sprites touching isn't quite right some times kind of like an off hit box and the delay on deleting clone sprites. Could really use a fresh pair of eyes to have a quick look for any thing glaringly obvious i have missed, if a few of you don't mind please. Any feed back would be amazing.

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/769377361

Below is what its being marked on.
marking.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: booHA and Jev

timeaway123

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 2, 2015
just had a little go, died straight away haha, no idea what im looking for but was annoying that when i died i had to refresh the page to play again. maybe have a replay or restart on death?

JoeDunn

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
just had a little go, died straight away haha, no idea what im looking for but was annoying that when i died i had to refresh the page to play again. maybe have a replay or restart on death?

ill add it tomorrow i just broke every thing trying to add it time for sleep lol. thank you

Seanofsmeg

Staff member
Apr 6, 2015
Looks good! My feedback:

* Can't die / hp doesn't go below certain amount
* HP power up doesn't restore health
* Attack power up doesn't show any UX change to show its active
* The coloured dots at the top left (green/yellow) don't change or update
* Background seems like a repeating image but is periods where it's just black image might need extended
* If you are submitting it using that website link might want to add instructions / controls

Good luck!

JoeDunn

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Looks good! My feedback:

* Can't die / hp doesn't go below certain amount <<<< Could have been an issue with me messing with it last night worked fine on my back up copy this morning in class
* HP power up doesn't restore health <<<< same as above
* Attack power up doesn't show any UX change to show its active <<<< didn't even think to add one
* The coloured dots at the top left (green/yellow) don't change or update <<<< fixed this thank you
* Background seems like a repeating image but is periods where it's just black image might need extended<<<< ye there both just 1 image cloning themselves and moving over. i spent like an hour on it this morning to get the numbers right. not perfect but it looks a lot better now
* If you are submitting it using that website link might want to add instructions / controls <<<< submitted via blackboard/ turn it in and not via the web link

Good luck!

Thank you. I kinda messed up and thought it was due next Tuesday.... but no it was today woops. Managed to fix the UI problems and added a label so its obvious the circles represent a progress bar. Then changed the options button to game info and added some more details as well as add upgrades changing the costume of the shot to show change. Now you would get 2 shots and then 3 shots resetting back to 1 upon getting hit.

We have a class tomorrow and he's going to be giving some of us marks. Be glad when Christmas is over only got 1, 2 hour computing class this semester compared to 5 for the next.

Reactions: Seanofsmeg

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
Hey

I will check your game out this season.

I am sure you are doing your best :)