New server Maybe, perhaps the best server ever possible...? Questions for client side

smoochy boys on tour

DavidShaw

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Nov 3, 2007
Hey Guys,

Since I got me good job and am no longer a Mir-Man ( :p lol ), I always come back to Mir when i finish a PC, to have a play and stare at how far Graphics have come in regards to FPS.

The Machine currently in progress is a 3Ghz 48-Core 64Gb Ram AMD Opteron running Windows Server 2008 out of the RAM (no physical disk).

This allows for an unprecedented amount of calculations per second.
Having a play I was able to spawn 1million enemies on a single 100 x 100 map lag-free @ only 2% cpu usage , lol ... after that i gave up trying to crash it.

Which brang me to ponder...
Is there such a demand for a server? Would anyone here need such hosting?
Would people play a Mir server that had the ENTIRE WORLD on one large SEEMLESS map? ;)

To put things in perspective I think it can support well over 100million enemies...
(imagine going zuma temple to find one massive seemless temple containing 1million enemies that immediately rush at you in squads, baaad :) )

But if i had 1million enemies on a single map .. would the CLIENT machine be stressed to death long before the host machine is???

Hmmmm???
I dont have another Machine to test. Experience is required in this matter.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Although your not getting any lag anyone that logged into that map without the specs to match you might find the client would crash/freeze or lag until it could load everything and then everytime a movement happened.

It may be possible if everything wasn't so close since the client only draws things in a 15 x 15 box around the player i guess it just depends how much is in that box. Only way to find out is to test it but that server is overkill for hosting something like a mir server.

Mask

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Jun 20, 2003
United Kingdom
tbh i dont think entering zg to be faced with an unmoveable amount of mobs would be any fun at all. lets face with a todays standard pc, and a good line, you could easily host a mir server.
4-5 years ago you could host with around 20-30people and little lagg. the community is very small now and unless your going head to head with USA there is very little need for high spec systems for such an old game.