Overclocking...

smoochy boys on tour

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Right well i've had this setup for a while and just had to buy a new CPU fan got it all installed today and gave the computer a general clean up.

I've decided to have a go at overclocking my GPU and possibly the CPU, i currently have the following:

AMD Phenom X4 9650 Black Edition 2304.9Mhz
Multiplier 11.5 x
Bus speed 200.4Mhz
HT Link 1803.9Mhz

Thats standard, i've heard its possible to clock this upto 3Mhz without much trouble has any one got any advice on howto do this correctly? I think you change the multiplier =/

As for the 9600GT i've currently upped it to 746Mhz, shaders are at 1731Mhz and memory upto 950Mhz with 2-3 degree's higher and currently sitting at 43-44 degrees need to start testing it running games on full load. Not really worried about the GPU overclocking as its straight forward.

I've heard its possible to get this to the same spec as the 8800GT (Standard).

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Enter the BIOS settings, change the multiplier and you're done... don't go nuts though.

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
Enter the BIOS settings, change the multiplier and you're done... don't go nuts though.

pretty sure you've gotta change the voltage for it to run stable??

dont think its as easy as typing 3000 instead of 2300.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
dont think its as easy as typing 3000 instead of 2300.

It's not, you use the clock frequency multiplier... like so;
I have mine at the default, not found any need to overclock but if I was to all I had to do is just change the clock frequency.
img0423y.jpg

Before ^
img0425t.jpg

After ^

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Yeah the other way is to change voltage and also lower bus speeds and so on the lower the bus the higher the clock can go or something similar there's loads of tweaking and it can be done multiple ways but i read changing the multiplier is one way just wanted to confirm. Managed to push my gfx card even higher last night and running stable :)

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
ok :P iam a noob lol.

google would be your friend also :)

Dorf

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 13, 2009
you'll maybe need to up the juice ie voltage for some serious increases, mind, don't go silly, 0.1 of a volt too far and you can kill your cpu. Best is to read up plenty on forums, maybe stick your rig in a post and ask the forums, they will have a wealth of info and most are quite happy to help you out. Point to note about clocking your gpu.. I used to do this quite regularly, but may I ask what res you play at? I've killed several graphics cards which have been absolutely stable for maybe 6 months, one time even a year, then got the twinkles (artifacts) which remained even after returning to original speeds. If you overclock, the enemy is heat, and because of this, it'd be a very good thing to regularly clean the fans etc, like every month or so. Overclockers have some very knowlegeable folk on there and having been there myself over 5 years, I have to say most are only to happy to offer advice and help. Good luck, but don't risk what you can't afford to replace!!!

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Right you really better reading up on overclocking on the motherboard your using before doing anything. You will also need

CoreTemp - Watch temps when stressing
Orthos - Run stress test after changing bios volts/fsb/multi/divider/timing to see if its stable, at least 12hr to be 100% stable ( most prefer 24hr runs)
CPUZ - Just to check your clocks are effective / Ram speed/timing are correct ( Also lets you know your volts not 100% accurate but close enough and you can tell your vdroop from there if your board has any which can cause instability.)
Everest Ultimate Edition - Run the benchmark on this to test your ram timings to see if running lower case/timings on a slower speed is faster than higher speed looser timings/cas, play about with them if you know what your doing)

And most of all.. you need a good CPU cooler if your gonna be running it 24/7 overclocked at a decent speed.

Here's a few tips to get you rolling tho..

First of all load up windows and run CPUZ.. look at the voltage on the main page for your CPU, then run orthos stress test and coretemp(should be pretty accurate), leave it for at least 15 mins running max stress test(should be fine as its stock settings, if its not there may be a problem). Check what your max CPU temp goes too, kinda give you an idea of how much space for temp you have.. i like to keep mine around 55 max load after a few hours.. safe to keep under 60.. pushing 60 is dangerous if you ask me. Also while its running look at the volts in CPUZ... take not of them then stop the stress test.. give the pc a few minutes to settle and then take not of the volts again in CPUZ.. if they are the same your a lucky boy... more than likely they will be higher than under full load.. this lets you know roughly what vdroop your board has.. so you know if you set 1.45v in the bios but your vdroop is 0.04 it will go to 1.41v under full load which might not be enough to keep it stable which means you might have to go for around 1.5v to get that stable, at those volts your temps start to rise a little faster.. i wouldnt really recommend going over 1.5v but 1.45v is usually a safe range for most CPU's, read up on yours just to be sure.

Put your multiplier to the lowest and set your voltage to what your normal voltage was when running stock settings, this is what the board sets it to when running stock....then change all your ram timings to as high as they can go(High number is slower/lower is faster), you usually have to unlock this part of the bios by allowing something or setting something to manual. Increase the FSB by 5 at a time till it doesnt boot into window, at this point knock it back 5mhz and boot into windows, run all things as before...it will more than likely fail.. this is where you up the volts a touch.. e.g stock = 1.24 give it 1.3v and rerun what you have just done... if i passes then good, if it fails then maybe try a little more volts or take a look at your ram speed, it may need a little more juice to run at that speed or it may not overclock well and you have to toy with dividers to get a good speed on your ram ram usually runs between 1.8v and 2.1v and up to 2.3v is considered safe. Pretty much toy with that keeping it within a safe range and safe temps.. also keep an eye on both of these at all times(very important), so as it goes continue this process untill you reach the maximum stable number at a safe voltage/temp this lets you know your max FSB.. gives you something to aim for ( this doesnt mean that it will be stable on a x10 multiplier for instance.)

At this point set your multiplier to.. x10 and try a 250x10 at your stock volts.. if it works and passes the tests for at least 5mins..you can get got back into the bios and try 255x10.. continue this untill like before you cannot get stable with safe temps/volts, i suggest you try and make the ram run as slow as you can each time on this part so it doesnt interfere with stability... your working with low FSB if its set 1:1 then it will only be running twice as fast as the FSB.. i dont think AMD clock by FSB as much as intel so your safe there.. ( i noticed a lot of people overclocking by upping the multi.. this is a safe and easy method but in consideration 200x15 @ 3Ghz is MUCH MUCH slower all round than 300x10, get your ram running at a good speed on a good divider and timings and your set.. that is your goal if it will even reach 300.. not sure what board you have.. but its a decent clock up from 2.3Ghz

If you understand what im trying to get across give it a shot and see how it works out.. also read up on overclocking using your board as there will be other settings that can benefit a lot in the stability end of things.

Good luck son.

Edit - Had a quick read about your CPU..most people are overlocking them by multi for ease... give that method above a try... but whenenver your get comfortable with what you are doing and feel confident to mess about yourself, try some weird change ups.. Like 230x14 @ 3.2Hgz.. not pushing it too much but a good overall clock.. ive even seen some people go about it a very strange way e.g 186x22 @4.1Ghz, im not sure about how this actually performs of if its just to break 4Ghz so i cannot comment on that, being an intel user myself its like a different world all together.. i push for highest FSB atm.. 500+ and a lower multi than stock if possible to reach a good 4Ghz+ clock.