Pretty speechless if i'm honest.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I had a few issues while learning, sure. but I'd be surprised if there was anything left that isn't answered on here already.
Mostly things that no normal user would encounter. How big can I make a map? Making a map from 100% new artwork, etc.
We also found some amusing 'bugs' too. i.e no sound on the M2 maps for years.... and no-one noticed.

You certainly don't need to know how to code. You change one number to add 50+ Lib's, of which you will likely never fill 1. Assuming you even want to add your own artwork in a new one. There is ample space in the default ones for thousands of new maps otherwise.

--

I really don't see how the editor can be any easier to use. I'm not being an ass here, but you literally pick what you want from the list and drop it on the map. The only active choice you need to make is whether or not you want it to be a front, middle or back layer.

The only change I felt would ever make a noticeable difference is separating the map window from the main app. Clicking back and forth between tabs is annoying. Being able to have the objects list on one monitor and the active map on another would be much more productive. Also listing the objects as images instead of the file name.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
The simple fact is making maps takes time - and some people just dont have the patience for it.

Theres lots of more user friendly things which could be added to make placing objects and tiles quicker - but the fact that there has always been so little up take with the people willing to use the map editor in the first place (both the crystal one and all the previous mir 2 ones released) made it fruitless to spend time updating it imo.

Reactions: Chalace

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
The simple fact is making maps takes time - and some people just dont have the patience for it.

Theres lots of more user friendly things which could be added to make placing objects and tiles quicker - but the fact that there has always been so little up take with the people willing to use the map editor in the first place (both the crystal one and all the previous mir 2 ones released) made it fruitless to spend time updating it imo.

Kind of a self-defeating circle there then.
> People don't use it because it can be a bit clunky.
> It's not updated because not enough people use it.

I guess it depends on your outlook. I'm just happy someone made it to begin with.
Maybe I'm just too used to it.

StormHero

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 19, 2015
A good feature on map editor would be scrolling the wheel to change through the tiles/objects, so u can easy find the right tile for next to it. Apart from having to keep clickin bk to the tiles i find it rather relaxing.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I really don't see how the editor can be any easier to use. I'm not being an ass here, but you literally pick what you want from the list and drop it on the map. The only active choice you need to make is whether or not you want it to be a front, middle or back layer.

The only change I felt would ever make a noticeable difference is separating the map window from the main app. Clicking back and forth between tabs is annoying. Being able to have the objects list on one monitor and the active map on another would be much more productive. Also listing the objects as images instead of the file name.
Great idea about separating the map window. That or else, having hotkeys for the tabs.
Xiyue editor shows object images, iJam's version of it doesn't, both editors have their pluses/minuses. Myself I work ninety percent of time with Xiyue editor, but that can change depending on the job type (with you it seems it is the other way).

In past I raised that problem of placing image strips on middle layer but later on I came to see that's not how that layer was meant to be used. The middle layer is in effect an alternative layer to the back one (second back layer in effect), being on top of it. Instead what would be needed is to have an analogous, alternative layer to the front one, as I hinted in the 'bridge problem' post.
The second front layer could be called top layer and would be placed above the current front layer. In effect it would relate to the existing front layer in the same way that middle layer now relates to the back layer - being an alternate layer for it.

It would serve not only for weather effects but also for cases such as these, when you need to place an object over another or even when you want to place them close to each other without their tags interfering...

Second addition I'd like to see has to do with what I am led to believe is underutilized (or even unrecognized) feature of the editor, the grasping function. I'd like to see third grasp option, one where it would also include back tiles (or else make it work on back tiles only, which would be even better).

To sum it up, F keys, Top layer alternative to the Front one, Grasp back tiles.

Of course, once one starts thinking of changes, other ones come to mind. Like making the program's OK buttons activating with Enter key (move to coords, make new map, etc), live updating of the object folder content, so you don't have to restart the editor in order for it to read external changes to it (like when you rename objects in it or drop in new ones), also make it so the program uses a single location for object folder (preferably just the top client location) since dropping objects to couple locations gets tedious.

One thing, perhaps small one, but one that bothers me is the tile/object selection in libraries where the selection doesn't stick - I mean visually. Like you select a tile in Wemade library, you click map tab to place it on the map, you return to the library to pick the next tile in the sequence, but the tile you just used is not selected anymore and you need to remember the number of the one you just used (mostly I scroll the view so the tile I pick is at the top window edge, making it easier to locate again).

I imagine, other 'normal' folks might want scroll bars keyed to arrow keys or work with mouse even ;)
The thing is, while not always being the case, some good map makers might well come from the ranks of 'ordinary folk' who get discouraged by these various shortcomings, never mind client intricacies or inability to compile, code. Not wanting to come over like one of those folks, I think I fit somewhere in between. In this connection I wonder whatever happened to that would be map maker who showed his work sometimes last year on the map editor main thread.

Last edited:

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I changed my mind.
The clear map button, yes that huge thing right next to the back button, NEEDS a confirmation popup.
(I may or may not have just lost about 2h of work due to this)

--

On a more cheerful note, since I lost most of the progress I had on my previous desert map, I started working on it again.
(TLDR; back up your laptop, especially when it flies halfway around the world a dozen times)

I still have the overall map layout, it's just missing everything I did post transfer to my laptop.
Gotta start up somewhere, so 1'st of the 7 camps was tonight's job. I made decent progress.

I won't be spending a week on each little POI this time. A few plants out of place I can live with these days.
Aiming to have the whole map complete over the weekend.

9k4uoU.jpg

Reactions: LightBringer

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
That clear map button is unfortunately right next to the button that gets lots of use and needs to be mouse clicked. The problem of no confirmation would be diminished or even effectively removed if the undo/redo button were mapped to keys. I save many version as I go along because of pitfalls like this one. No idea what is easier to do, confirmation or map to a key(s) but the latter would be beneficial for workflow.

That's one huge map you got there. Those spiffy desert maps you converted from the pack might make mir2 mobs look somewhat out of place but that remains to be seen in practice. The mir2 tiled ground has certain charm to it. I would definitely want to see it in action, maybe you could knock together a showcase of some of your features on such a map on a test server? Not sure if you did some public run so far, I think it was advertised but didn't materialize or I missed it?

Last edited:

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I'm not going to let myself be distracted before this map is done!
That's why my others took a month each, I'd toddle off and spend hours/days coding or messing with items, images, etc.

The desert map I showed from the pack won't be used I don't think. It just doesn't fit with anything else, unfortunately. Because it was extremely nice looking.

A bit more progress; almost finished.
rStmuG.jpg

The tile contrast isn't nearly as prominent ingame.
ABgdfT.jpg

To put the town into perspective. this is the base I'm working off. Can't even fit it all in a screenshot.
Ji5LyY.jpg

Reactions: Chriz

Lilcooldoode

LOMCN Developer
Developer
May 10, 2003
Yes
Those mir3 desert cliffs. Have you cut those up into objects? I tried about a week ago and it frazzled my brain >. <

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Of course. They have no move attributes set, so you might want to add them and re-save the objects first.

Pretty sure this is the ones.

Attachments

• Mir3_CliffSc.rar
    20.8 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Lilcooldoode

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
Looks like Numa village from Mir3 a little, beautiful looking map. Keep going Bro.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Map's looking ace, I am getting used to using the map editor too now, just cataloging everything into TileSets atm, takes time but worth it as it helps me work a lot more effectively.

Ideally after I get married, and have spare time away from wedding stuff and TPR I can look at potentially making the Map Editor similar to how the RPG Maker softwares have theirs but it'll need a lot of planning and looking into.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
First one complete. Not bad for a few hours work.
sBiHqk.jpg
Sexy!

This is why I want to get a lot more refined at map design, the payout is worth the effort every time!
Post automatically merged:

One thing I always loved about Mir 3 Maps though, (or it may have just been Zircon) is that all NPCs were outdoors, there wasn't any 'shop' maps and stuff, which really dwindles down the overall maps required (DB side)

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
You need more detail and objects in your maps otherwise it looks empty in-game @LOMValkyrie

Top doesn't look fully done yet, 100% needs some more fillers in it.

The town was requested that way as the Town in v1 had no room for big fights and was really dark dull map, with all the TeleStones / NPC the town will fill up much nicer than it looks there.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
A few ive done so far, i find the map editor pretty simple tbh.

It is hard to tell from that distance, but as Tyraes pointed out. They do look to be missing some finer details.
Things like SMtiles/Objects make a huge difference.

Do you have some in-game shots?

Great work none the less. Always nice to see.
Post automatically merged:

Made a start on the next camp. One of the Orc factions.
(Some context, the map contains 3 warring Orc factions, and you choose to help one. Each has its own respective reputation/quests/rewards)

Took a bit to get rolling, as I seem to have misplaced all my notes.
Getting the Mir2/Shanda & Mri3 tiles to meet/blend is always a nightmare.
6SxQM0.jpg

Last edited:

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Not had much time today, but made a bit of progress.
- Set all the main structures/layout.
- Started working on the 'groundwork' style & combos.

Not 100% happy with a few of the objects in this set, I'm not going to get into re-editing images like that now. But content enough to consider it as a playable.
Pvp08V.jpg

Gw1loT.jpg

--

Anyone else working on something?

Reactions: Martyn