Province Project

smoochy boys on tour

Tyraes

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2007
I haven't made a map for a while and decided it was time to create something, so this is what I've made. It's going to be the main part of a project I am going to make. Not sure on how fast or slow the project will take as things will get added and taken out during its creation but for now I'd like to share my first part. Obviously by the picture below its about half complete :P Hope you guys like it, any comments welcome.

loll.jpg

Foopah

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 7, 2011
Livingston
Looks nice, am in the process of making maps but the editor is so bad and its mentally gruelling to keep at it over an hour at a time.

Tyraes

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2007
eughhh unless you break that into 5 seperate maps, EUGHHH!!

Big maps are wasted talent!!

Opinion.

Talent in map creating is not dependent on map size at all, you of all people should know that. Talent is how you use the size of the map sufficiently. Also, big maps allow alot more implementation and future planning as it's harder to do that on a 200x200 map lets say. So I believe your comment "wasted talent" is wrong.

Tyraes

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2007
Not had much time today to do much on the map but this is as far as I've got.

loll-1.jpg

czeldabolg

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Sep 12, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
Generally new maps are good to mir, it's just a shame there's not many new tile sets or it's all been seen before sort of thing. One thing I do love about mir though is people that put time into new maps rather than new items / quests due to they're more visual and they get noticed a lot more, makes it look like you've done more for the server too.

So keep up the good work and hope to see more map releases from you ^^, a few servers need some new things.

/Czeldabolg

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Generally new maps are good to mir, it's just a shame there's not many new tile sets or it's all been seen before sort of thing. One thing I do love about mir though is people that put time into new maps rather than new items / quests due to they're more visual and they get noticed a lot more, makes it look like you've done more for the server too.

So keep up the good work and hope to see more map releases from you ^^, a few servers need some new things.

/Czeldabolg

We have new tiles just not a map program that reads them :/

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

actually we do now, http://www.lomcn.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=13

kizza have you tried this?

Tyraes

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2007
Thanks for the comment Czeldabolg. Nice to see someone appreciate maps as they don't really get much credit for the effort that goes into them.

I have not tried it Tai. I don't think I have got the new files that you was on about either. I'm guessing they are posted somewhere on the forum, I'll have a look around for them :P

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Download the Korean client...all sorts of new stuff in there, its in the download section

Tyraes

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2007
Awesome. I'll download that now and add some of the new stuff to my project. Thanks

Cba2KillU

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 7, 2010
This map looks very professional and tidy. (Best ive seen and biggest ive seen n1!)

Good luck on finishing the rest.

-Ash

Tyraes

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2007
Thanks for comments.

This is taking longer than I thought and is getting more tedious as it progresses, but I am getting there. Not sure how long it will take too complete the forest but here it is as of now.

Also, any ideas on what you guys think I should put in the remaining spaces are also welcome. I'll try my best too make them :P

loll-2.jpg

jaffar91

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 10, 2011
nice work dude it looks pretty impressive, glad its going well :) i couldnt even draw that on a peice of paper LOL

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Supporter
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Opinion.

Talent in map creating is not dependent on map size at all, you of all people should know that. Talent is how you use the size of the map sufficiently. Also, big maps allow alot more implementation and future planning as it's harder to do that on a 200x200 map lets say. So I believe your comment "wasted talent" is wrong.

http://www.lomcn.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?66258-New-999-999-coord-map-In-progress&highlight=

enough said tbh.

It may be my opinion.. but lets face it, its fact, big maps = epic fails. Nobody enjoys large maps. Yes it'd be nice to have massive temples etc.. but unless every maps like a BDD style one.. nobody would use it, theres no demand for it in user counts. As for running from the town to the temple? ohh noo!

Your map WILL be used to house a couple of hens, deers, heck maybe some slugs for all we could know... thus, wasted talent. Why not use the map edit tai's linked.. use new tiles and make an awesome temple/maze? Which will be used.. and wont be wasted. Provinces are used so little now, its hardly worth having them, may as well just chuck in a homezone.

Really? I just made a maze at 700x700... Wonder if that would work on 200x200... Doubt it, or it would be figured out very quickly.

I make my maps whatever size I want.:@

Goh, somebodys abit moody? No need to get sarcy... add 5 copies, different doors, different locations.. a 200x200 one could be interesting.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Smavid sounds negative but he means well! The map is looking really good so far, but unfortunately it's not like the old days where all of it would get used.

Tyraes

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2007
So you think by making loads of small and quiet frankly ****e maps is going to attract more people in playing mir again. It seems like people have forgotten what mir is. Mir is meant for exploration. How is it fun in running around in a "homezone" map for 5minutes and knowing where everything is? Big maps allow the creation of quest chains, new systems and future implementation that could be done to the server unlike smaller maps. The way it seems to me is that the majority of mir users today are looking at short distant results which are usually tacky servers that last 1month. Whats happened to people wanting to explore places? I just don't see the point in map making for the majority, its just feeding them with utter bollocks and now everyone is so used to running around on 150x150 maps that when a decent sized map comes available people frown upon it and think "I cba to run around that". Why's that I wonder. It's because the people playing mir servers are being spoon fed throughout the game they play. Teleport to this cave, teleport to this temple, teleport to the KR. Get off your arse, run around and explore.