Rwar.

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
Ok, so I have found my own house which I move into around January 15th maybe the end of the month, my question is that with moving out I will no longer have the Internet what I tend to get from this post is people's opinions on Internet providers and and cheap deals people may know of? I can get fibre in my area too so I don't want anything too ****, I just can't be bothered to shop around.

So come on who do you all use and what package deals do you guys get?

Slipmatt

Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
That's not too bad nice deal they have on atm, my only issue is it's only a 14mb line, it would be more or less downgrading, at my parents we had 50mb fibre they just changed to BT yesterday and are now getting around 75mb.

anto

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Feb 18, 2005
Don't go with tesco, they're ****ing terrible.

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
I'll be honest. Virgin Media is great if you don't watch streams or any consistent streaming media. It's also great if you don't plan to stream yourself.

If you plan to at some point, stream what you're doing, do NOT go with Virgin media. I learnt this the hard way but they actually cap your internet if you decide to use a certain amount of bandwidth which is usually only possible through streaming. The best internet I find in the UK for this is BT Infinity, but they're more expensive naturally for fibre optic.

VM is fine and pretty cheapish for all general purposes, downloading things playing games etc you'll never be capped this way, so I'd go with vm if this is your case.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
yeah virgin do have fair usage, i recently got a letter from them asking if i'd stop downloading so much during the day and do it during their off peak hours.

if you go over their limit they cap 10% off your speed for the month. if you keep going over it they cap it more and for longer, however they will never completely stop your internet (as obviously they want you to keep paying)

Slipmatt

Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
Can't get virgin media in my area of the north east, just left sky for BT so atm it's looking like BT or talk talk which are now an independent company. Decisions decisions!!

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
yeah virgin do have fair usage, i recently got a letter from them asking if i'd stop downloading so much during the day and do it during their off peak hours.

if you go over their limit they cap 10% off your speed for the month. if you keep going over it they cap it more and for longer, however they will never completely stop your internet (as obviously they want you to keep paying)

Thanks for that, moving soon and will need an ISP. Though I don't download as much as I used to so it may not be a problem.

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk
I recommend talktalk (had a bad experience with bt, never going back to them), can't get virgin in my area but got fibre on talktalk and all been good since and is cheap although i got almost every package they got it costs me £70 a month for tv, unlimited broadband (no longer cap torrent speeds during peek time) unlimited land line, 500 mobile mins and 2 x mobile phones which includes 100 mins, 100 talktalk mins and 250 texts. You could cut these costs a lot and so i advise looking into them, just wish these company's would employ English speaking customer cares (bt being the worst).

DeadGirl

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 24, 2013
Manchester
Talktalk are good if you don't need any customer server, (because they can't speak a word of English) and they're quite cheap even for Fiber.

Jacko

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 7, 2011
the netherlands
Oh am i glad living in the netherlands
got 100Mb/s down 50Mb/s up
Including interactive tv and telephone for 60€ a month
and our bandwidth never gets cut.
well maybe that's why we here have top10 internet

CraZyEriK

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jan 23, 2006
Alicante, Spain
thats really ****ing cheap prices for high connections... in my zone not fibra, only adsl2+ the biggest isp in spain (movistar) owns all wires on my zone and its old system for big city
i pay 50€ for 13mb down /2,5mb up (i only get 10mb down , 0,8 upload) but atleast is stable with the new tp link w8970 i bought off amazon (it was for 60€ router) lol

Carribean

I abused the reputation system, now I'm stuck with
Veteran
Feb 18, 2013
Plusnet all the way!!! All english call centres cracking deals on fibre

anto

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Feb 18, 2005
Talk talk aren't bad tbh, I wish I would have stayed with them coz the past 2 iv had since then, EE and tesco are ****, EE would always get drops in speed and disconnect and tesco's speed is just terrible. The only thing I've got against talk talk is that their customer service isn't great.