Starlink - High Speed Net?

Join Discord

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
Hi,

Can any IT wizards tell me if this would actually be as good (or close) to having fibre?

I can't get fibre in my area and my internet speeds are around 15-30mbps and very unstable even using an Ethernet from the router.

I found this from our good friend Elon and it's available in my area, £75 a month and £300 install fee, i'm debating going for this but not sure if it would be worth the £?

It does say I could get up to 500mbps in my area.

Would this be stable? or just the same as using my hotspot on my phone?

so confused so any help would be massive, thanks.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
Hi,

Can any IT wizards tell me if this would actually be as good (or close) to having fibre?

I can't get fibre in my area and my internet speeds are around 15-30mbps and very unstable even using an Ethernet from the router.

I found this from our good friend Elon and it's available in my area, £75 a month and £300 install fee, i'm debating going for this but not sure if it would be worth the £?

Hi!

Its not stable as the receiver has to move based on the orbit location of the satelites, so whenever it does, you will get some latency spikes on it.

For household is just fine but for playing games which are competitive, it would be unstable.

Reactions: Far

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
Hi!

Its not stable as the receiver has to move based on the orbit location of the satelites, so whenever it does, you will get some latency spikes on it.

For household is just fine but for playing games which are competitive, it would be unstable.
Thank you!

Probably not worth me getting it then tbh as it would be for gaming, streaming and downloading.

Will just have to wait and see if Virgin will ever come to the village where I live lol.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
Thank you!

Probably not worth me getting it then tbh as it would be for gaming, streaming and downloading.

Will just have to wait and see if Virgin will ever come to the village where I live lol.
Its a gamble based on your location and the orbit the satelites are surfing on :(

Some get it super stable, some not.

Reactions: Pusha

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
Use Openreach’s website to check when fibre will be installed in your post code. (Some locations don’t even have dates as of yet but they are slowly adding more places)
As a builder it annoys me that I’m stuck at home with 30mb up/down yet all the new builds are having fibre straight in.

Website - Openreach

(Third world problems, I know)

Reactions: Pusha and zedina

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
Use Openreach’s website to check when fibre will be installed in your post code. (Some locations don’t even have dates as of yet but they are slowly adding more places)
As a builder it annoys me that I’m stuck at home with 30mb up/down yet all the new builds are having fibre straight in.

Website - Openreach

Just registered on there mate, no dates but says I will get notification if they ever come round here.

On the plus side for downloading anything atm, I can hang my phone out of the window and somehow I get 5G lol

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Hi,

I was tempted to get this, you can get the dish's on eBay too and link them to your account, so there is less upfront cost, but Virgin started installing there latest xgspon fiber in my town so I didn't do this, and luckily I get to trial it too, so get it way sooner than other people. ( still waiting on installation)

few websites to check https://bidb.uk, quite handy to show what's in the area, but the best one is https://one.network, it shows upcoming road works etc
1683891534972.png
1683891548646.png

It'll show you some information around your area, have a good search about it, and see what is being done if anything, if nothing is happening, send a message over to your mp, I did this with Virgin, as when I called virgin/asked them they didn't have a clue about it in my town, but then someone reached out to me.

Open Reach FTTP is meant to be coming in 2024 as well here, my installation for virgin is on the 17th, my last one got cancelled, and I'm hoping this next one doesn't get cancelled, I've done a fair bit of prep indoors, under the stairs where I want networking to be, and also run trunking/pull cable so the fiber cable can be pulled easier to the position I want it and most tidy.

My internet is 20-25/5 which in today's age is utter crap, when I lived down south I had virgin, and now they have FTTP >.<

Reactions: 1PKRyan and Chriz

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
I was tempted to get this, you can get the dish's on eBay too and link them to your account, so there is less upfront cost, but Virgin started installing there latest xgspon fiber in my town so I didn't do this, and luckily I get to trial it too, so get it way sooner than other people. ( still waiting on installation)

few websites to check https://bidb.uk, quite handy to show what's in the area, but the best one is https://one.network, it shows upcoming road works etc
View attachment 31598
View attachment 31599

It'll show you some information around your area, have a good search about it, and see what is being done if anything, if nothing is happening, send a message over to your mp, I did this with Virgin, as when I called virgin/asked them they didn't have a clue about it in my town, but then someone reached out to me.

Open Reach FTTP is meant to be coming in 2024 as well here, my installation is on the 17th, my last one got cancelled, and I'm hoping this next one doesn't get cancelled, I've done a fair bit of prep indoors, under the stairs where I want networking to be, and also run trunking/pull cable so the fiber cable can be pulled easier to the position I want it and most tidy.

My internet is 20-25/5 which in today's age is utter crap, when I lived down south I had virgin, and now they have FTTP >.<
Thanks for this mate,

just checked near my and theres a few things popping up with Openreach for "utility works"

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
Looks promising mate!

Virign actually accepted my order last year but then said 6 weeks, so I agreed to wait, then they came to get everything ready and said it was "out of budget" to install.

Not sure if i'm miles off here as I don't really understand it, but I don't actually think there are even any fibre cables running up to my house?

Is my internet DSL? it comes through the wall from like a really old phone line socket lol.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Looks promising mate!

Virign actually accepted my order last year but then said 6 weeks, so I agreed to wait, then they came to get everything ready and said it was "out of budget" to install.

Not sure if i'm miles off here as I don't really understand it, but I don't actually think there are even any fibre cables running up to my house?

Is my internet DSL? it comes through the wall from like a really old phone line socket lol.
If you post that exact same thing on the virgin community forums, they might be able to help, post stating its been a year and you wonder if anything has changed? Does virgin site say you can have it still? Maybe more people have gotten it since then so it’ll be cheaper to connect you up, phone like is adsl or fttc, max can get is 80/20 which is good, in theory, but mine being 20/5 is just sheer crap 😂 roll on the 17th, need to finish some networking bits under the stairs, removed a window, bricked it up, taken all old paint off, repainted with breathable paint, should look good!

Keep looking at dedicated routers, but ideally I want to go 10gb networking but they expensive also sfp (fiber) connectors aren’t cheap about £80 odd I think which is a tad annoying, or I replace all my cat6 for fiber which just isn’t necessary imo, for now I got a 10gb switch, which has 2x10gb and then 4x2.5gb which is perfect,
I also have a ubiquity hd pro access point, with a cloud key to control it, also have a gbe poe switch for access points, will probably get and outdoor one too to cover the back garden better.

Definitely post on the forums asking if anything has been changed, and heck virgin, if it lets you buy it, go for it 😂

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

Website - Openreach

Third world problems are more like no clean drinking water bro. Like where @ibby lives

You mean first world :ROFLMAO:

DevilsKnight

I
VIP
Aug 1, 2004
I actually have starlink net and my normally copper connection. What gaming are you planning on doing is actually the question?
Does a 30ms ping matter to you?

If it does, do all your heavy lifting with starlink and your low latency stuff use your normal wired connection?

Any other info you want happy to answer. I am not likely to get fttp anytime soon hence why I went with it, been using it well over a year with 0 issues

DK

Reactions: Pusha and Martyn

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
I actually have starlink net and my normally copper connection. What gaming are you planning on doing is actually the question?
Does a 30ms ping matter to you?

If it does, do all your heavy lifting with starlink and your low latency stuff use your normal wired connection?

Any other info you want happy to answer. I am not likely to get fttp anytime soon hence why I went with it, been using it well over a year with 0 issues

DK

That's a good idea mate,

I don't play many games now where I need a super high ping like FPS games or whatever (too old now)

Just Mir, maybe some online racing games and a fast download speed for downloading games because atm it takes days!

What speeds are you getting from Starlink in your area?

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
That's a good idea mate,

I don't play many games now where I need a super high ping like FPS games or whatever (too old now)

Just Mir, maybe some online racing games and a fast download speed for downloading games because atm it takes days!

if you were ever going to get Starlink, now is the time, if I didn't have virgin fttp installed tomorrow, I'd of jumped on this myself.

1684239656370.png

DevilsKnight

I
VIP
Aug 1, 2004
That's a good idea mate,

I get on average around 250meg download and around 20meg upload. The router is pretty **** in terms of WiFi coverage. If you plan on using a separate router (like I do) you'll need the ethernet adapter as well which is another 20-30 quid.

Honestly I would highly recommend it if you can't get fttp. I've never regretted it and when I first ordered it, I signed up for beta and had to wait about a year, it was about £500 for the equipment and £90 a month. Its now £75 p/m, its the first time I've ever had a utility reduce in price.

On a side note, whenever fttp does become available to me, I will be switching over but that will be in the very distant future.

I'll run some speed tests and post them on here when I get home.

Dk

Edit: SpeedTest

1684271244198.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Martyn