Mar 5, 2005
My current specs are
AMD Sempron socket A 3000+ (2GHz)
1 Gig Ram DDR
160 GB harddrive
Cant remember GFX card, summin like ATI Saphire 256MB DRR
onboard sound

Im looking to upgrade to a Intel Pentium 4 HT or Pentium D for definates

im not really gonna spend alot , getting a new PC in a while but for the time being i just want a small upgrade around 200-300 quid

any suggestions?

Zidio

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Nov 2, 2005
LOMCN
I personally wouldnt bother amd is good i would save the money and put it towards your new 1 your going to ge and get the latest 1 out cant rember the name of it off the top of my head im sure some 1 will fill you in though.

Fire

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 15, 2003
something to bear in mind if you are swapping processor type (AMD to intel) then you also need a new motherboard

Note: (Upgrading to a different line in the same company, (eg going from A64 to dualcore will require a new motherboard) often will need a new motherboard as well)

Last edited:

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
New cpu means new motherboard, new motherboard means new ram, aswell as a new gfx card and PSU.

RedDragonX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 5, 2005
So its like building a new PC? lol

I was wondering because my motherboard is quite old and it can only hack up to amd athlon xp 1.8Ghz, should i just get that processor for the time being? or is amd sempron better?

RedDragonX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 5, 2005
I think ive found a good motherboard which supports my GFX Card and Type of Ram, i was planning on getting a new case anyway and that can go along with PSU then i can get the Pentium 4,

Or am i wrong ? -.-

Edit - Sorry for double post, meant to edit

Edit- Noob Question that im confused about. - If a motherboard says it supports Athon 64, X2 and FX proseccors, if i put a sempron or athlon xp in will it work?, same with graphix cards

Last edited:

Sean

Developer
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
May 13, 2003
The thing about the lower-end Intel (aka non Core 2 Duo) CPUs is that they're stonkingly cheap right now.
That said, i'd still go (at that price bracket) for an Athlon64.
You'd have to spend around £150 (motherboard and processor, assuming you have DDR memory that can be reused) to see a "vast" improvement over your current spec.
Save your money and spend double, or tripple on a new Core 2 Duo setup.

Fire

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 15, 2003
Edit- Noob Question that im confused about. - If a motherboard says it supports Athon 64, X2 and FX proseccors, if i put a sempron or athlon xp in will it work?, same with graphix cards

no it wont work with that processor list,

graphics cards will work so long as u get the same type of slot, eg agp cards with agp motherboards

RedDragonX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 5, 2005
1 more wuestion, what if i have a proccesor with socket A(462) will it work if i buy a processor with socket A only?

Fire

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 15, 2003
the numbers need to match,

so 797 motherboard needs to go with 797 chip for example