Want to go wireless!

Stonehelm

Resigned
Golden Oldie
Apr 14, 2004
Preston, UCLAN
Right, not long upgraded my connection (Up to 8Mbp/s) but im getting no where near that due to my crappy adsl modem that i got free and the fact i have an even crappier extension cable connecting it to the actual telephone socket.

So i want to go wireless, im going on the asumption that wireless routers dont have to be connected to a pricipal computer that has to be on for all computers in the house to access the internet.

Will need: 1x Wireless router
3x Wireless NIC.

Can anyone recommend any decent ones. Much appreciated.

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
I've never had any problems with my USRobotics router; though perhaps many would discourage you from buying it because it can be quite expensive. I got mine for around £120 for just the router itself.

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
i have a NetGear DG834G at home, its very easy to set up, the wireless range is quite good and it has no problems with ADSL speeds that change, you may want to look at that.

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
Stonehelm said:
Is it worth getting the NICs by the same manufacturer or does it not really matter?
Linksys and D-Link make good quality routers. But I second the Netgear D834G. (Which supports ADSL+ADSL2).

Its always best to use the same NIC's purely for piece of mind.

Do you do a lot of large file transfers between the three machines you have though? Especially things like streaming hi-res video?

/Leo

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
LeoCrasher said:
Linksys and D-Link make good quality routers. But I second the Netgear D834G. (Which supports ADSL+ADSL2).

Do you do a lot of large file transfers between the three machines you have though? Especially things like streaming hi-res video?

/Leo
I've been told that D-Links routers are pretty bad?

My vote goes to ZyXEL ZyAIR G-2000

Stonehelm

Resigned
Golden Oldie
Apr 14, 2004
Preston, UCLAN
LeoCrasher said:

/Leo

No not at all really, purely for the internet connection and printers sharing, maybe the odd word document.

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
EDITED: see edit below.

If your still on ADSL then you want this:

Edit: the thing your looking for is an Linksys WAG54G not what i put before, and im having trouble finding a decent place to buy one.

and add on 3 of these: Linksys WUSB54GS Wireless-G USB with SpeedBooster Network Adapter

available here: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_USB_Network_Adapters_220.html and it should be perfect, although the router is compatible with almost any wireless card.

Basically i had that router during my entire time on ADSL and its picked up every single wireless card ive ever had in my house, linksys routers are easy to configure if you need to, and you get a hell of a lot of settings out of them. Also, ive never ever had a dropped connection with it.

Last edited: