Wireless help

Join Discord

Stonehelm

Resigned
Golden Oldie
Apr 14, 2004
Preston, UCLAN
Right i purchased a new WAG54G Linksys ADSL modem router. I have an internet connection of up to 8Mbp/s but im only connecting at speeds up to 2Mbp/s, whereas when i was with my crappy free ADSL modem i was hitting about 5.1 Mbp/s (still not great but i have found the reason for that).

Is there anyway i can increase the speed or should i just send the router back and spend a little bit more and get a better one?

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
what walls are between you and the router?

If there are concrete walls, they can badly mess the conenction between you and the router.

And roughly how far are you away from the router?

And what part of the house is the router in and what part is the wireless adapter on the computer?

such as routers downstairs and wireless adapter on computer is upstairs or?

Does the box for the wireless router have any top speeds on it? (Usualy states what sort of speeds it can go upto)

Last edited:

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
connect the ethernet and see what speeds you get from that.

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
the 2 things that float im my head about that are either the modem in the router is crap, or the router needs a firmware upgrade

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
well you see, im currently getting 54.0mbps from my wanadoo livebox and im roughly 3 metres away from the box

(im upstairs and the livebox is downstairs)

and im using a cheap £15 wireless adaptor for my computer.

its a 54.0mbps right?

Very wierd, it shouldnt be that the router is crap if your like 15cm from it, maybe your right with the firmwire upgrade.
But i guess it would come with a version which allowed atleast the speed whats on the box. (54.0mbps if im right)

It cant be the modem inside the router. As it has to allow upto 54.0mbps if it didnt it wouldnt be the product it says on the box if you get me.

Try downloading something and tell me the download speed you get with wireless
Then do same with ethernet please. (take wireless out for this one)

P.s from what i can see of the internet its roughly a £70 router? which means it aint exactly a cheap cheap router you'd expect to be crap.

Last edited:

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
ok, download sumin. tell me speed u get on download.

Because all new modems do generaly go pretty high up befor they max out at top speed.

Ok, try your ethernet cable in ti too, see what conenction speed you get then. Hopefully itll be around 8mbps, if not maybe its the modem?

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
Stonehelm said:
Is there anyway i can increase the speed or should i just send the router back and spend a little bit more and get a better one?

Told you to go Netgear :P

The linksys model you mention supports ADSL and ADSL2, therefore perform a firmware upgrade (also try the beta versions) and run a speedtest from www.adslguide.org.uk

I suspect its merely reporting the incorrect speed rather than running at it.

/Leo

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
LeoCrasher said:
Told you to go Netgear :P

The linksys model you mention supports ADSL and ADSL2, therefore perform a firmware upgrade (also try the beta versions) and run a speedtest from www.adslguide.org.uk

I suspect its merely reporting the incorrect speed rather than running at it.

/Leo

thats why i asked him to do the download, to see what sort of speed he was actualy getting. Didnt think of a adsl online speed check >.< Silly me.

/Tofas

Dataforce

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 15, 2003
Tofas: Using the Ethernet cable compared to the wifi wont effect the speed of the connection to the internet :P

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
but your wrong, i get such a faster conenction speed to internet on my ethernet :)

It can determin if your wireless adapter is faulty and isnt connecting at full speed which could of solved his problem. So worth a try either way.

I WIN!!!!!

/Tofas

Love You <3

P.s i also find that when doing a speed test on my wireless i get jumpy speeds and sometimes suffer bad speed readings, although if i try ethernet its more constant. Anyway not argueing with you as iv already stated, i win

Last edited:

Dataforce

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 15, 2003
him connecting to the router using wired or wireless does NOT effect the speed that the router connects to the internet

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
Ohh, i misunderstud what you said.

Never mind, you win.

/Tofas

P.s but it would differ the speed from the computer to the internet possibly.

thats what i thought you ment rather than the routers connection to the internet.

Stonehelm

Resigned
Golden Oldie
Apr 14, 2004
Preston, UCLAN
Im yet to find a decent site that would actually max my downloading speed out anyway, i have been using that adsl speed test while trying to sort this out. It keeps bringing back 2 Mbp/s, i tried wired and i got 1Mbp/s.

Btw it isnt WAG54G its WAG354G. I cant for the life of me find a firmware update so if any of you would be so kind to look i would appreciate it.

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
[EDIT]

Just saw that you posted it is a WAG354G. So here you go.

Try downloading several different files at once, to see if they add to a rough 8mb/s (or ~5mbs if you know your normal transfer rate). It could be a problem with a faulty line too, so run a linequality test.

Hope that helps.
Turin

Last edited: