World Cup 2018 Bid

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Famous club, famous ground (Not because of the disaster), the oldest footbal lclub i nthe world and i's where football originated from (Apparantley). So why not Sheffield?

Hastelloy

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 11, 2006
Stone, UK
i wouldnt say it originated in sheffield although they are the oldest association football club, dont forget people played football before we did in the UK, we just put together a proper set of codes/rules and turned it into a professional sport

anyways my club arent far behind you on the histoy, since we r the oldest club in the premier league, y cant we host a match :P although i still think any games of worldcup magnitude should be played in the capital in the best stadium we have to offer :D

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
cant believe hull didnt even get a bid :( so lame

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
i wouldnt say it originated in sheffield although they are the oldest association football club, dont forget people played football before we did in the UK, we just put together a proper set of codes/rules and turned it into a professional sport

anyways my club arent far behind you on the histoy, since we r the oldest club in the premier league, y cant we host a match :P although i still think any games of worldcup magnitude should be played in the capital in the best stadium we have to offer :D

Fulham supporter? (I think they're the oldest)

To be honest they cant have them all around the capital, too many people would cause chaos lol.

The big games will be left for the big stadiums, the "smaller" games will be left to play at MK Dons, SWFC, L**ds ect.

HeadHunter

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jun 18, 2007
Stoke, UK
Fulham supporter? (I think they're the oldest)

To be honest they cant have them all around the capital, too many people would cause chaos lol.

The big games will be left for the big stadiums, the "smaller" games will be left to play at MK Dons, SWFC, L**ds ect.

Naaa, he's a stoke fan ;)

Who in all fairness don't have a bad stadium, has easy access already in place etc.

The applicants were; Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Milton Keynes, Newcastle/Gateshead, Nottingham, Plymouth, Sheffield and Sunderland.

If i remember correctly?

I can't believe some of the places who didn't apply, knowing that the money generated by the world cup would be huge, and they would gain money to improve their cities infrastructure, i couldn't see the harm in applying.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/WorldCup2018/NewsAndFeatures/2009/HostCitiesNamed.aspx said:
Between them, the Candidate Host Cities have made over £300m worth of financial guarantees towards a World Cup in England if the country is successful at the FIFA vote in December 2010. There has also been a commitment of over £100m towards legacy and urban regeneration projects. This funding is in addition to the £300m worth of FIFA required guarantees signed-off by the government on 15 December 2009.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Naaa, he's a stoke fan ;)

Who in all fairness don't have a bad stadium, has easy access already in place etc.

The applicants were; Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Milton Keynes, Newcastle/Gateshead, Nottingham, Plymouth, Sheffield and Sunderland.

If i remember correctly?

I can't believe some of the places who didn't apply, knowing that the money generated by the world cup would be huge, and they would gain money to improve their cities infrastructure, i couldn't see the harm in applying.

Never thought of Stoke lol.

Only problem with their stadium is it doesnt hold much? So would need alot doing to it to meet the requirements, and that will al depend on if they have permission to expand it on the area it currently is?

liammc10

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Famous club, famous ground (Not because of the disaster), the oldest footbal lclub i nthe world and i's where football originated from (Apparantley). So why not Sheffield?

Na m8 Grimbsy County is the oldest football team in England, my team applied (Newcastle) obvs as its 1 of best grounds in England :p.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
I know that. I was talking about Sheffield it's self, not just Sheffield Wednesday.

In reply to the "Sheffield :S" comment.

elohelMeight

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 8, 2004
Surrey
The Olympic Stadium should host the final tbh... which will hopefully be West Ham's home ground by then.

liammc10

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
The Olympic Stadium should host the final tbh... which will hopefully be West Ham's home ground by then.

Obviously it will be Wembley and I wouldnt be suprised if West Ham are in administration by then.

I know that. I was talking about Sheffield it's self, not just Sheffield Wednesday.

In reply to the "Sheffield :S" comment

Then Sheffield aint the oldest football club seens they aint a football club anymore lal.

Last edited:

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield

liammc10

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Sheffield are I know, but they aint still running, so they aint lol.