Are private servers still classed as Illegal?

Join Discord

Toddwhite

More like Retodd
Golden Oldie
Jul 28, 2006
Just asking as Chronicles advertised outside of lomcn. Surely it cannot be illegal if they were willing to do this?

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
There is no company to pursue these days in the EU is there? And what would they gain if there was lol...

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
nah wemade suddenly had a change of heart and decided that they wanted people to take their copyrighted game and contents and profit from it.

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
It is illegal to use anyone's content, code, images and names without their permission. No matter how old it is. It is still owned by someone. The reason we can get away with it is because only a very small percentage of Mir players actually play private servers. Also it would cost money for a legal battle which would not benefit the company. It is up to Chronicles staff if they want to advertise. There are plenty of other dodgy companies that advertise illegal stuff and get away with it.

Toddwhite

More like Retodd
Golden Oldie
Jul 28, 2006
It is illegal to use anyone's content, code, images and names without their permission. No matter how old it is. It is still owned by someone. The reason we can get away with it is because only a very small percentage of Mir players actually play private servers. Also it would cost money for a legal battle which would not benefit the company. It is up to Chronicles staff if they want to advertise. There are plenty of other dodgy companies that advertise illegal stuff and get away with it.

I have no issue with the chronicles team advertising etc, was just curious as to where server owners stand on this. Chronicles was much needed to help bring old + new players back into the mir world :)

DavidShaw

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Nov 3, 2007
I have no issue with the chronicles team advertising etc, was just curious as to where server owners stand on this. Chronicles was much needed to help bring old + new players back into the mir world :)

Chronicles staff recipients of "donated" cash should be more worried about the taxman than WeMade.
I had a disgruntled customer in my ebay store, cost me £1200 in taxes & £3000 in late/avoidance fines after interest, i couldn't prove everything I sold was second hand and f*ck trying to fight HMRC in court when a loss can result in a criminal record (or add to it/ activate a suspended sentence, in my case, lol).
They dug out like 5 years of paypal transactions. who keeps receipts for that long???

It takes 2mins to report and they just audit paypal who will bend over backwards for them.
If your pissed off with anyone just report to the taxman that they asked you to pay cash to avoid taxes, its what the guy did to me and it bloody works.

:'(

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Chronicles staff recipients of "donated" cash should be more worried about the taxman than WeMade.
I had a disgruntled customer in my ebay store, cost me £1200 in taxes & £3000 in late/avoidance fines after interest, i couldn't prove everything I sold was second hand and f*ck trying to fight HMRC in court when a loss can result in a criminal record (or add to it/ activate a suspended sentence, in my case, lol).
They dug out like 5 years of paypal transactions. who keeps receipts for that long???

It takes 2mins to report and they just audit paypal who will bend over backwards for them.
If your pissed off with anyone just report to the taxman that they asked you to pay cash to avoid taxes, its what the guy did to me and it bloody works.

:'(

Couldn't they just declare the income legally and not be fined? Yes they'll have to pay Taxes on it but such is life.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/ways-to-pay.htm#5

DavidShaw

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Nov 3, 2007
Couldn't they just declare the income legally and not be fined? Yes they'll have to pay Taxes on it but such is life.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/ways-to-pay.htm#5

How many server owners do you think self-declare? Thats suicide, declaring income on an illegal activity, you'll end up with a confiscation order.
I was operating a second hand shop and I didn't declare because due to my earnings, It would have put me in the 40% tax bracket.

hmrc is the devil, believe me, once they start the process, they chase whatever tiny tiny infraction, so that you are liable for all the fees if you dispute.
I should have just paid them at the earliest opportunity, if not beforehand like your supposed to.

So yes, you are right, just declare it.