First car...

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
Renault clio is by far the best starting car. I paid £1000 for my first one, and the insurance was only £725 for the first year and dropped to £415 in my second year. Although I had been already driving for a year on my parents insurance.

Robert

Actual Jesus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Jan 1, 1970
Yes.
from saturday afternoon it is m8, once my engine conversion is done i might pop down, need to source a new rear window thou, came home from work yday to find sum1 had smashed it :(

Auron: *shrug* if u ever do decide to change ur mind(highly doubt it) then id be interested to hear ur plans Another restored mini is always a +

anyway, i think u shud buy this for a 1st car: http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/207862.htm

the dodgy fitted side(back)box makes it go 400 miles an hour faster..

I think ill be there on the sunday Floyd, wont camp as my mates got work sat but ill be there on the sunday.

AGuyWithAThing

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 31, 2003
Crashes happen, wether it be you driving like a tool, or someone else.

Therefore your statement is incorrect.

yes i agree crashes can happen to ANYONE but they have stated "new driver's", so your reply is incorrect....

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
Corsa = first good car... avoid french cars..

I'm buying a BMW 325i shortly, thats a beast of a car.

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
My first car - 1.0 W reg Corsa 'Club' - insured fully comp on my mum's insurance = £550

Push up the excess and the premium goes down.. just be extra careful not to have an accident, else pay outta ur own pocket rather than claim as any claims made in the first 2 years will push ur insurance sky high and in some cases make you uninsurable.

I posted these on another thread but www.honestjohn.co.uk and www.parkers.co.uk are great for reference.

Last edited:

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
yes i agree crashes can happen to ANYONE but they have stated "new driver's", so your reply is incorrect....
What i'm saying is, someone can have passed there test a couple of months ago, drive really careful, they can still crash... can they not?

Your saying new drivers only crash if they drive like a total tool....

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
manual or auto? bmw n mercedes never could make a gd manual box so i hope its auto for the cars sake (Y)

PFF, Manual , The gear boxs are fine, depending how you drive the car. Regardless, BMW have a strong history of being reliable, unlike french stuff.

Perebble

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.atomicide.com
PFF, Manual , The gear boxs are fine, depending how you drive the car. Regardless, BMW have a strong history of being reliable, unlike french stuff.
Both companies spend millions each year on research to make their cars the best they can be.

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with their gear boxes (don't ask why I chose to quote you Dan - I have no idea :)).

Colonel

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Dec 30, 2005
Newport S.Wales
i dont know much about the new mercs and bmw's but i know that the older bmw's wernt the best with gear box'es but if you dont drive like a tool it should be ok (Y) nice and fast neway tho.