Highrates

smoochy boys on tour

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
Name 3 highrates that have lasted a long time, and had a high user count in the last year.

Name 3 low/euros' that....

Not saying popular highrates haven't / don't exist, its just they are generally harder to do than low/euro.

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
Name 3 highrates that have lasted a long time, and had a high user count in the last year.

Name 3 low/euros' that....

Not saying popular highrates haven't / don't exist, its just they are generally harder to do than low/euro.

Oldskool
fourheroes
threeheroes.
Torozor was around for about a year.

Arcadia/P69 no idea what you would class them at, but their not lowrate euro clones.

3 low euro rates?
Erm chronicles.? maybe pushing on a year now?? and ragezone back in the day, and obviously Euro mir.
Chronicles is only popular as their is literally nothing else to play, if you dont like Arcadia.

The most successful servers have been HR/Custom.

Just a shame that since ben/matt stopped making servers, were just left with a bunch of Muppets copying euro.

Last edited:

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
Never heard of Oldskool tbh. What are the site links for the other 2 please?

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
Never heard of Oldskool tbh. What are the site links for the other 2 please?

2013 join date, you probably would off lol, thats around when the euro clone obsession kicked in.

They was around for 3-4 years, not around any more.

Just want to understand the logic behind 5 people releasing the exact same server with minor adjustments.

Baffles me.

We all ready have a euro clone LR (chronciles) so why does everyone keep copying them?

Last edited:

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
2013 join date, you probably would off lol, thats around when the euro clone obsession kicked in.

They was around for 3-4 years, not around anymore.

Ahh its my mistake, when I said 'in the last year, I thought you were going to provide me with examples from the last year. I should have been more clear when I said 'in the last year' and put something like 'in the last year' :D

I, like you, enjoy a good high rate. I think it's just they have fallen out of favour due to non-commited server teams. High rates usually need a much higher content turnover.

Incidentally by the way, the 2013 join date is my second account. I have lurked for many years, and had an older account, but destroyed my online presence (deleted emails, started again etc) a few years back meaning I had no option but to create a new one.

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
Ahh its my mistake, when I said 'in the last year, I thought you were going to provide me with examples from the last year. I should have been more clear when I said 'in the last year' and put something like 'in the last year' :D

I, like you, enjoy a good high rate. I think it's just they have fallen out of favour due to non-commited server teams. High rates usually need a much higher content turnover.

Incidentally by the way, the 2013 join date is my second account. I have lurked for many years, and had an older account, but destroyed my online presence (deleted emails, started again etc) a few years back meaning I had no option but to create a new one.

Ah

Yeh your correct, in the last year their hasnt been one.

Though i dont think anyone has seriously attempted one?

A couple of 14 year old retards with anger issues maybe, but no-one has seriously attempted one since Three Heroes closed.

I would, but I cant code, and frankly Haven't got the patience to learn. Just seems unfortunate that all the coders are Euro clone lovers.

"Insanity is the doing the same thing, over and over again and expecting different results"

Basically this whole community is insane.

Last edited:

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
Erm chronicles.? maybe pushing on a year now??

2 years... Just saying :D.

High rates are OK... One of my all time favourite servers was DevilSoul (by CripplePatrol)... Unfortunately all high rates I played had a max user count of around 30 players, which is a shame.

Fourheroes I remember being a euro clone pretty much... But with a really dodgy assassin.

Sam

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Explain to me the logic/mechanics of a high rate server.
What's the relationship between mob exp and level with player level exp and max level ?

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
Explain to me the logic/mechanics of a high rate server.
What's the relationship between mob exp and level with player level exp and max level ?

A fair point, though its all in the mind. Id rather gain 50 levels in a day, than 5% in a day. I like to see continual progress and achievement. Also having a broader level range, allows for a broader item and stat range. its hard to include alot of items in a LR that have purpose as the max stat you have is like 1-3. while on a HR you can have e.g 1-4 1-8 1-12 -16 1-18 1-24 1-30 instead of just 1-1 1-2 1-3.
While still retaining the same damage output in relations to a LR..if that even makes sense....

Its more aimed at the euro clones, people who do a clone of euro up to 0-43 then add a few new caves and think its custom.

I played euro for 6 years, and have no desire to do it again.

@Sam, Four heros, was totally custom, dunno if were talking about the same fourheros?, though your right about the assassins. Im not a fan of the new classes anyway, generally avoid any servers with Sins/archers.

And 2 years?, seems like it was only yesterday haha.

SPL1FF

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Banshee
Game Master
Mar 24, 2003
I've been round the block a few times and I have to say I've always enjoyed low rates more. I feel that the reward feels more worth it and I've always been willing to put time into them if I feel they will stay up. I've always thought high rates look messy!

Jicaa

Pooslice
Golden Oldie
Jul 9, 2003
Don't care what rates as long as end game is achievable by casuals, not just the no lifers. However I don't ever expect this too happen.

And plenty of custom stuff, I am fed up of going into OmaCave/BugCave etc

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
High rates require much more effort to maintain than a low rate does and frankly are a lot harder to balance than a lowrate. I'll try to explain.

Because as night mentions, people like to see themselves levelling quickly/easily - you're likely to see around 10-15x the level differential between a low and a high rate. The issue with this is, if at any point a highrate feels like a grind, people stop playing.

In order to keep people "levelling fast" you need to keep pumping out new, better caves with more exp than the last. In order for people to keep seeing progression, you need to release a new set of kit every few weeks as people start hitting the full set. Essentially this is what Ben/Hany/Matt did for their highrate servers and it worked very well as they were willing to put in a lot of content and effort and kept doing so.

Eventually after 2years they got worn out and frankly couldn't keep up with the demanding playerbase that is Mir players.

Highrates feel really fun if the owner is willing to put in the serious effort it takes to maintain and upkeep one. Sadly, what with everyone growing up and having more of a life these days, that is just something that's not doable to a degree which would "satisfy" Mir players.

Thus you have your "euro clones" (I hate this term, I've seen maybe one euroclone in the past 5 years) more commonly known as "lowrates" which are much easier to manage in terms of progression, as updates don't need to come AS frequently as a high rate. People expect to grind it a little and (should) feel rewarded for doing so.

Because the stats and levels are much lower on a low rate, balancing the power of spells as well as the healthpools of every class is easier, and can be done every few months rather than every few weeks. Not to mention the fact high rates screw your casual player over greatly, as they're usually in X tier kit by the time the hardcore player is in Z tier kit. The different in stats and health is just so grand that they'll never be able to compete.

That is why there are no successful highrates as of late, and I doubt we will see one any time soon as it's not worth the investment.

Last edited:

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
Thus you have your "euro clones" (I hate this term, I've seen maybe one euroclone in the past 5 years) more commonly known as "lowrates" which are much easier to manage in terms of progression, as updates don't need to come AS frequently as a high rate. People expect to grind it a little and (should) feel rewarded for doing so.

Dude a euro clone to me is anything with takes 70-80% of its content from the original game.

So every server at the moment is a euro clone. except for Arcadia.

Like jicca said, I am sicking of hunting in the same caves, for the same items.

Your right about a HR taking alot more effort than a LR though.

Last edited:

Scorpian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 8, 2003
Manchester
I don't really understand the whole HR/LR argument, people would say P69 was a med rate but it's been online 13 years and level 120 is an achievement. Surely its the lowest rate ever encountered.

What exactly is it you expect from a high rate?

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
I don't really understand the whole HR/LR argument, people would say P69 was a med rate but it's been online 13 years and level 120 is an achievement. Surely its the lowest rate ever encountered.

What exactly is it you expect from a high rate?

Id say yours was a LR tbf.

HR is fast paced.

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
Whats with all the obsession with lowrates/euro clones atm?

Why no mans making high rates :(

Low rate last longer, server owners can make more $$$. Simple as that. Only person left about who could make a stable high rate which will be long term is Ben, he said 25/12/2015 as a realease date for his new server pretty sure hes trolling though lol.

Let's roll back into mir history when people gave a **** about the users and not money.

High rates:
WeOwn
DarkSide
Foundation
Chikowa
Oldskool
3heros
4heros
Torozor
Crusade
Oldskool 1.4

The list carrys on.

Last edited:

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
Low rate last longer, server owners can make more $$$. Simple as that. Only person left about who could make a stable high rate which will be long term is Ben, he said 25/12/2015 as a realease date for his new server pretty sure hes trolling though lol.

Let's roll back into mir history when people gave a **** about the users and not money.

High rates:
WeOwn
DarkSide
Foundation
Chikowa
Oldskool
3heros
4heros
Torozor
Crusade
Oldskool 1.4

The list carrys on.

Devil server is missing from there, I doubt there's many left on these forums who remember it, it was before LOMCN.

On subject I personally didn't enjoy HR as the years went on, they became boring after x days|weeks, they just aren't as fun as they use to be.

Last edited:

JoeDunn

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
people expect to much these days with only having a handful of coders that are already busy. its hard to bring in a decent playerbase. so unless you have know how to or know some one that can and will i cant see the server getting much attention.

i could throw up a high rate server with in a month or so with a decent amount of content the only problem is i am limited to abusing scripts and making custom maps. sure for the start thats fine but what happens when i would have to reuse the same AI's? people would soon get bored.

I am sure we will see some amazing HR servers again once more people start to learn. but its a shame that stats are hard capped people love big numbers!