New Server Underway...

• Remember! Never use the same account usernames and password across different servers!
smoochy boys on tour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
I heard about ur chat, just a few things to consider:

fourheroes has well over 40million mobs spawnin, with 100+ players. m2 uses 15-25% CPU 1-1.4mil ish memory on an i5 2.6 ghz 4gb ram machine.

i heard with just 6k spawns and 1 players urs was usin 25% cpu on a fairly decent machine?

i cant see it performing well

Yea i tackled the performance issues was a slight glitch in one of the loops.

I don't see how there is 40million mobs if i am honest, the kill command count was always bugged on pervious servers.

I would say the busiest map on 4 Heroes would be Battle ground that would max out at around 5k mobs.. lets say 10k for sure. I can't see them having 4000 maps with 10k spawns in each, But anyway thats not my place to judge other peoples performaces/figures.. and i am grateful for a comparison.

My performance now is 0 - 6% with 200,000 Mobs. 10k mobs in 20 different maps.

14 seconds after launching the M2Server, there is around 140,000 Mobs, all killing each other. I have a slight memory leak issue which i am addressing now.

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
I wouldnt go solo in trying to develop the code from the top of your head based on what you know, thats insane.

You should however analyse say the outtest files, and update the code to to C#, I think a .NET based version of the code is long overdue its just the task of completing it which wont be easy.

However once you are in .NET you open up to a whole range of possibilities by being able to tap into WPF, WCF, XNA and what not.

As for your performance issues, .NET handles a lot of memory for you using the Garbage Collector but you should still be handling a lot of memory yourself even more so since you will be using multi-threads, and objects need to be destroyed.

So good luck hope it turns out well.

Last edited:

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
I have a slight memory leak issue which i am addressing now.

Memory Leak issue fixed, was alot to change as there is no "Dispose" method to free memory like in delphi, in C# you have to remove every reference to the object in question before the GC would take it. on a side note its helped with performce and memory size.

400 Maps, 210k Mobs Memory usage is is 400k~

had a small issue with cross threads fixed as well.

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
Still going well..
AI's (Race) takes about 2 - 10 mins to code each one. (depending on complexity).

Directional Damage bonus depending on where your (which way your fracing) depends on how much armor takes effect, Ranges from 100% Armor loss to 0% Loss.

Have alot more Ideas but won't post untill coded, (That way I can't say I will have things I can't)

started a little work on the client, nothing major or even worth mentioning.

performance and Memory size is better then the Official's.

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
Excuse the Layout/Puncuation, Its kind of in a list format.

I have removed the Slow effects, I totally disagree with the slow mechanic.

I have replaced it with a "Cripple" stat which for every 1 "Cripple" you have is 1% less stats you have for the duration..

30 Cripple = 30% less AC AMC DC MC SC HP MP ACC AGIL etc. etc.

There is resistance to it, much like Magic and Poison resist, 1 Resist = 1%.

Cripple/Slow/Para take effect with both physical and magical attacks.

Mobs also have these stats, (field in the database to set how much the mob has).

You could for example have a Cave maggot that Poison Attacks, Cripples and Paras you.

Agility only effects DC based Mobs, for Magic (MC) based mobs you will need MResist.

Buffs are handled differently now and as such can add virtually any stat, and also in place are mesures to stop grief buffing. (If either the Duration or any stat the buff adds is less then the current buff, it fails).

almost all of the Normal Mob AI's are coded. just Boss's left to do but no rush.

Tashohnie

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 13, 2009
Nice one mate, I agree with the slow down thing, I always thought it was a big gash thing.

Sounds like it's really coming along very well mate.

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
Just out of curiosity are you using WCF for this, or .NET Windows Sockets? A game like this would be much more suited to WCF using one of the Bindings.

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
Just out of curiosity are you using WCF for this, or .NET Windows Sockets? A game like this would be much more suited to WCF using one of the Bindings.

I havn't got to that stage yet, I need to do some research on what i will be using for communication.

of course any tips would be handy :)

Andreas

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 12, 2008
Timisoara
hey Jamie could u provide us some screens , with what u done till now , would be cool :P

anyway great job

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
Win Sockets, which the delphi source is based on is a dying breed imo, using WCF you can ensure secure sending of packets with a good choice of delivery methods and binding types. Its worth doing tbh, it wont be easy but if your going to .NET then you might aswel go all out and utilise what if offers.

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
hey Jamie could u provide us some screens , with what u done till now , would be cool :P

anyway great job

Nothing graphical at the moment, i have just started the client, I'll post some code snippets if you like to have a read.

Win Sockets, which the delphi source is based on is a dying breed imo, using WCF you can ensure secure sending of packets with a good choice of delivery methods and binding types. Its worth doing tbh, it wont be easy but if your going to .NET then you might aswel go all out and utilise what if offers.

Thanks for the pointer, I will check WCF out.

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
altho it sounds good, it will be like every other project, it'll never get finished

Status
Not open for further replies.