[Poll] for the Servers PayToPlay Design

Should EuroReborn have a single PayToPlay option or a choice of tiers with increasing benefits

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
I really don't see what all the fuss is about gameshops. Yeah some servers take the piss but its the players that decide in the end if they want to support said server, make the gameshop fair and give those unwilling to spend £ a chance at earning Hunt gold through bosses/hunts at albeit slow rate so they can grind instead of paying, don't let exp pots be traded etc. Those that want that exp boost asap will fork out those that want to work for it can.

Make everything purchasable with hunt gold, limit purchases on items a monthly/weekly basis. There are a number of solutions, as for items being sold behind closed doors, server owners can easily stop this by changing the code to make @make items untradeable, or that has a line of text added "Created by Xander" for transparency.

I don't see P2P or subscriptions working for private servers if they did we would've seen them years ago.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I really don't see what all the fuss is about gameshops. Yeah some servers take the piss but its the players that decide in the end if they want to support said server, make the gameshop fair and give those unwilling to spend £ a chance at earning Hunt gold through bosses/hunts at albeit slow rate so they can grind instead of paying, don't let exp pots be traded etc. Those that want that exp boost asap will fork out those that want to work for it can.

Make everything purchasable with hunt gold, limit purchases on items a monthly/weekly basis. There are a number of solutions, as for items being sold behind closed doors, server owners can easily stop this by changing the code to make @make items untradeable, or that has a line of text added "Created by Xander" for transparency.

I don't see P2P or subscriptions working for private servers if they did we would've seen them years ago.

We have this in ours from our first server so @make items are marked "Made by GameMaster"

I also have nothing against GameShops, personally.
Post automatically merged:

You might be unaware but there are particular individuals that are the SOLE providers of entire guilds/groups buffs/exp pots etc to give their Guild the edge. Yes, they are stupid...but the vast majority of server earnings are not coming from the entire playerbase, it's coming from a select few.

You strangle those select few, you strangle your overall income because there is nothing to gain an advantage with. Really all you are doing is causing a cost to your entire playerbase instead that otherwise don't spend money at all.

Now your playerbase isn't 200, it's 50. Because it's 50, you lose probably half that within a month and i'm aware that leaves you with the 20-30 that you apparently don't mind but...it's such a waste lol.

It's not that I don't like pay to play (In fact for real MMOs I value subscription over any free or buy to play model), but it's the fact that it has a shorter shelf life than a gameshop, with even less of a playerbase than you would already get.

If you could guarantee that that you will have a STABLE 200+ player count for 3 months with a P2P model, i'd give you that monthly fee. But I could bet good money you will struggle to pass 50, and that makes it a waste of time and money.

I have also never donated to a server within the few weeks until I see where the server is heading, by that point it's usually pretty obvious. The only option you leave me is to simply not play for a few weeks, at which point you can't be competitive and it's boring.

It has very minimally anything to do with the money, everything to do with the playerbase attention.

It sounds like you really value high UC over in game content?

I really don't understand peoples PoV when it comes to Pay to Play; if he charges £5-£7.50 for what he's providing in terms of content and how much play time you'll get out of it.

You can spend £60 on a PS5 game you might be really lucky to get 40 hours out of, or that same sub can potentially get you a year for a Mir server?

It's not like you are spending £50+ on gameshop stuff for the server to be binned off after a month, its £5-7.50 or whatever he prices at (sorry @Sanjian im not pricing your server for you! just an example).
- if I lost that after a month I'd just chalk it up to worth a month game time.

Last edited:

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
We have this in ours from our first server so @make items are marked "Made by GameMaster"

I also have nothing against GameShops, personally.
Post automatically merged:

It sounds like you really value high UC over in game content?

Well....yes?

Don't see anyone playing Sanjian last server after the users disappeared...Don't see anyone playing Archons...Zenatur barely anymore.

All have content, all have effort...But yet, no players? Why do you think that is?

If everyone suddenly agreed to jump back into Zentaur at the same time, it would currently be the most popular server in the list despite how long it's been out for. Players make the server fun, the enjoyment of the new stuff is momentary and a means to being the best in the server...Other players is where the fun is.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Well....yes?

Don't see anyone playing Sanjian last server after the users disappeared...Don't see anyone playing Archons...Zenatur barely anymore.

All have content, all have effort...But yet, no players? Why do you think that is?

If everyone suddenly agreed to jump back into Zentaur at the same time, it would currently be the most popular server in the list despite how long it's been out for. Players make the server fun, the enjoyment of the new stuff is momentary and a means to being the best in the server...Other players is where the fun is.
Yeah, and I guess Sanj wants the players that value content and not just UC (as, again players who see UC as an absolute jump ship as soon as the UC starts dipping, causing a small drop to cascade)

Also you are comparing a newly launching server that is pay to play to long term servers. (Edited from stagnant as that isn't fair as current server owners still put the work in)

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Yeah, and I guess Sanj wants the players that value content and not just UC (as, again players who see UC as an absolute jump ship as soon as the UC starts dipping, causing a small drop to cascade)

Also you are comparing a newly launching server that is pay to play to long term servers. (Edited from stagnant as that isn't fair as current server owners still put the work in)

Didn't say the content isn't valued....well, who's to say really after some of the dribble thats been launched lol.

But it is valued, but is not the most valuable thing. Players are the most valuable, content is what keeps those players engaged. No players, the content is worthless and boring.

Archons tbh had some of the most interesting features and changes i'd played in ages...But no one plays it because it's got no players.

You may not like it, but no one runs to a server with 20 players on, much less pay monthly for it. The model doesn't work, you don't exactly have millions of players to choose from....we all know whats available, and it isn't suitable for pay monthly.

Reactions: astrix

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Didn't say the content isn't valued....well, who's to say really after some of the dribble thats been launched lol.

But it is valued, but is not the most valuable thing. Players are the most valuable, content is what keeps those players engaged. No players, the content is worthless and boring.

Archons tbh had some of the most interesting features and changes i'd played in ages...But no one plays it because it's got no players.

You may not like it, but no one runs to a server with 20 players on, much less pay monthly for it. The model doesn't work, you don't exactly have millions of players to choose from....we all know whats available, and it isn't suitable for pay monthly.

Sanj would (I assume) as long as the server self-sustains so 20UC is still 20 paying players I 'spose!
( I hope he proves you wrong in the nicest way! :) )

I think different styles and servers attract different kinds of people.

UC is a big factor, but it's certain peoples names against a server (even if they churn out recycled content) can pull in big numbers.
I don't think my server will pull the numbers that Bon's did; but that doesn't mean I think my servers content is worse.

And Jesus I remember Archons barely, was that the server with like 8 classes?
I need to find out what features it had...🏴‍☠️

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
you all know im a stubborn git, sometimes to my own detriment.

also pottsys right, if i opened up the server and let players buy gamegold at a whim i would make thousands. but im not going to do that for 1 reason.

a subscription required server has never been done outside of officials and im curious to see how it does. plus i like the idea of a level playing field for all players and i think the casuals will appreciate that more

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
Well....yes?

I had many chances to wipe, start over again and capitalize over the addiction of players for a fresh server.

However I dislike the stress a new server creates for me, I got old.

Take a look at Mir3Europe for instance since you brought mir3 in the discussion, had 70 online, is down to 10 in less than a month.
I rather spend the time and efforts to continue building up the current server rather than attempting another 1-2-3 months of 180->20 online.

I know its like sabotaging myself with this mentality but for me at least is very stressful and I feel I have low morals opening servers that frequently without any good changes or systems, just to cash out.

Zircon released 4years ago or so, so since Zircon released, Zen had only 2 versions up (one still running, other one closed few months ago), I can't say the same for others which have the habbit of opening one server least 1 time a year.

Reactions: Tai and Sanjian

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
@Sanjian a similar model worked with Elite (they are sub only, but also have F2P) but I can imagine they drew a big pot of people in on their sub model.

I don't see why you couldn't achieve a good UC (I will at least be 1 of them haha)

@zedina it's why this one will be my last; you forget the pains of a server launch after awhile, then when you do it again, you question existing haha

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
@Sanjian a similar model worked with Elite (they are sub only, but also have F2P) but I can imagine they drew a big pot of people in on their sub model.

I don't see why you couldn't achieve a good UC (I will at least be 1 of them haha)

@zedina it's why this one will be my last; you forget the pains of a server launch after awhile, then when you do it again, you question existing haha
Every 2 posts out of 3 you are typing on any thread is about your server :carrot:

Damn, not even @Sanjian is like this and his server really looks top notch. Cant wait to see your server :P

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Every 2 posts out of 3 you are typing on any thread is about your server :carrot:

Damn, not even @Sanjian is like this and his server really looks top notch. Cant wait to see your server :p
Gotta plug it as much as possible!

But in all honesty it's by accident, I just tend to write from my own perspective/experience haha

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda

Damn, not even @Sanjian is like this and his server really looks top notch. Cant wait to see your server :p

😂 I actually thought this but never mentioned it as LB is one of the good guys. But yeah he defo likes to plug it, I wonder what else he plugs 🔌

1679394088547.gif

“Stormhero” quick LB someone else is talking about there server!

• Carrot
Reactions: zedina and Sanjian

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Pity Party Whining GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Carrot
Reactions: zedina

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
😂 I actually thought this but never mentioned it as LB is one of the good guys. But yeah he defo likes to plug it, I wonder what else he plugs 🔌

View attachment 31125

“Stormhero” quick LB someone else is talking about there server!
I felt to write it since long time ago but he is kind and maybe too anxious regarding the work he puts in.

However sometimes is annoying seeing a thread for server X (for instance Sanjians) and first thing you see is LB "OOOOOO ME SERVER DO THIS" OOO ME TEAM THOUGHT ABOUT THIS" "OOO ME LIKEY IT GONNA ADD ON ME SERVER"

Hes a good guy in the end :P

Reactions: LOMValkyrie

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I felt to write it since long time ago but he is kind and maybe too anxious regarding the work he puts in.

However sometimes is annoying seeing a thread for server X (for instance Sanjians) and first thing you see is LB "OOOOOO ME SERVER DO THIS" OOO ME TEAM THOUGHT ABOUT THIS" "OOO ME LIKEY IT GONNA ADD ON ME SERVER"

Hes a good guy in the end :p
fireworks GIF

I'll try refrain from diverting OPs in future :D

• Carrot
Reactions: zedina
Status
Not open for further replies.