private mir situation:

thedeath

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 26, 2003
as most of you know i absolutely hate high exp servers (and yes anything above 5*exp is high exp)
now i admit that i aint been to bothered about coding and am lazy and stuff
but at this point i seem to only find high exp servers online
the low exp simply dont have anymore users (or like 10/15 tops usualy)
so i come to the point where i wonder why i should even continue
to me there are no more servers online that should even be online
and the future is looking worse by the day
every day we see higher and higher exp comming

i know most ppl will disagree (since most ppl only like high exp these days)
and i'm not saying this is my final goodbye or anything
but i would really like for ppl to proof to me that mir has a future other then high exp servers (and dont come saying your 10*exp is low or medium rate plz :p)

Hazuki

VIP
VIP
Apr 14, 2004
United Kingdom
I agree there are no "decent" low rate servers anymore, the Mir Community today likes high rate servers. As me and Xander where dicussiing last night High Rate servers can be good, if there is the game content to match. Meaning no Euro Mir content at all as its just not needed.

I know of Chinese Servers with 10000x EXP, with 800+ players. The reason? They have made a server that fits that exp, meaning new hunting areas, total Database rewrites etc...

I have always thought that saying Our server is x1000 exp is pants. Make a good server that different that it cant be compaired to any other server out. Its not X anything its your server, the server files are easy to edit, same with the client. Even more so now with DM2/MirU.

I personally like servers where you have to work for what you have, the first server I ever played was called Turok some of you may remember it. It was one of the best Mir2 Servers out, shame I didnt reliase at the time it being my first server.

Sorry rant over.

CheekyVimto

It's my Precious!
Veteran
Mar 8, 2005
I know I don't have much Mir2 Server experience, but this affects all servers.

As soon as you start getting the 1000x stupid rate servers with no added content the game is literally ruined.

Then you get the 'good' hosts that really want to put all there effort into giving the chosen game a new lease of life. I have alot of respect for all those hosts because its them that keep the game alive.

My personal preference is the same as Haz, I like to work for things to better my character when I play, which is why I develope to that standard.

[PLUG] DevilSoul will Re-kindle your love for Mir2 ;) [/PLUG]

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
TD set your files to a max exp limit i will be doing this with unleashed as i have the same problem people F.UCK mir up with these stupid ass servers you will never be able to quit so just stop the ones that are making this game worse every minute by disabling thier stupid ****.

Holy

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 13, 2006
To be very honest... Mir is an outdated piece of ****e yet its still addictive, the reason that people go and play high rates is cause theve spent years playing thw worst low rate of all (euro) and want something totally different...

LR ftw all the way BUT the people who enjoy LR are a dieing breed.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
i have a set of files which is ready for its first stages off Beta but cannot do so. because i am not able to host. and dont trust alot of people within these forums btw this a low rate server

/ancient

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
You're wrong Holy. People play High rate becuase it's there. If no high rate server exist all will be well. People have become a custom to playing a server where everything is handed to them on a golden plate. Where people with cash laying around can buy any item, where people hit level 50 in a day, where people can solo bosses becuase thier items have stats like 35-80MC, DC, SC and the list goes on.

Now you give this server to some one to play then tell them to go play a low rate where they have to work for thier kit and levels they are just gonna say **** that.

Eliminate the **** servers that take the piss and run high quality servers and only allow them to be advertised and watch mir thrive. Euro looses its members becuase it is ran poorly simple as. Give euro to a few decent members here and it could be turned around.

Janae

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 18, 2007
You're wrong Holy. People play High rate becuase it's there. If no high rate server exist all will be well. People have become a custom to playing a server where everything is handed to them on a golden plate. Where people with cash laying around can buy any item, where people hit level 50 in a day, where people can solo bosses becuase thier items have stats like 35-80MC, DC, SC and the list goes on.

Now you give this server to some one to play then tell them to go play a low rate where they have to work for thier kit and levels they are just gonna say **** that.

Eliminate the **** servers that take the piss and run high quality servers and only allow them to be advertised and watch mir thrive. Euro looses its members becuase it is ran poorly simple as. Give euro to a few decent members here and it could be turned around.

If no high rate existed I wouldnt play full stop and if lomcn implemented this restriction on high rates then it would lose a lot of members.

NewHope

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 18, 2005
To create a decent low rate these days requires alot more work than making a high rate, its much easier when items/sets take like 2minutes to make - as aposed to creating a steady flow of items throughout the lower levels and getting the stats right. Same goes for monsters and hunting areas.

I prefer low rate over high rate, but the lower rate servers out are just bleh. :eek:

Fire

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 15, 2003
high rate servers fail for one simple reason, they require more content than low rate servers simply because the exp and mob strengths need to adjust more rapidly. people alter 1 or 2 things from a euro base and just release it and because people are lazy those are the servers they play so that they can boast about how powerful they think they are, when if its rescaled to a low rate comparison they are actually a low level and not powerful at all

personally i dont think lomcn should implement a default no "high rate" rule but if an individual project puts in a limit stopping them its their choice because its their time and energy working on it. so TD if it makes you happier just block off higher rate exp's

Killmaster

Legend
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Nov 13, 2003
Tbh, I am one of those that play high rate server, simple reason is that when its high rate you seem to see the new stuff once you get to the higher levels but like some people have said, in low rate people arent customising the database which makes it to like euro mir.

Most people now days are just sick of euro mir and want to take the private server community away from that. We have had the tools to do so for years now but not many server take the time and effort to change it all.

Limiting the experience would be a little stupid imo. As Hazuki said, if you make a high rate server then match all the stats and whatever else with it then the server will work.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Thats the problem no one ever matches thier server if its high rate exp. They just stick exp at 150x add new items for 50+ then advertise.

To create a decent low rate these days requires alot more work than making a high rate, its much easier when items/sets take like 2minutes to make - as aposed to creating a steady flow of items throughout the lower levels and getting the stats right. Same goes for monsters and hunting areas.

I prefer low rate over high rate, but the lower rate servers out are just bleh.

Exactly my point high rates as piss to make and people think oh im running high rate im going to have an uber user count. If people spent time making low-rate servers and i mean decent low rate and give players something to level towards it would be much better.
If no high rate existed I wouldnt play full stop and if lomcn implemented this restriction on high rates then it would lose a lot of members.

Well thats your choice if TD decides to quit say goodbye to DM2 and back to waiting on the chinese to update us.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I agree with Holy tbh. i love low rate servers, but many people just want to be able to go everywhere, hunt everything, and have top items as soon as they can.

i was on offical mir for 2 years slowly leveling, and having the ability to just slide up the level ladder in private servers was great.

wheneva i design servers, i always design them low rate, to add more detail. but tbh, when ever im looking to play a server, i look for high rate so i can see all the places straight away.

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
The Level number on its Own means Nothing, what is the point of been Level 150 when you have no kit for that level and are still running around with Level 33 Kit?? My Thoughts are simple enough, people having played the Official or Low Rate server to death are bored stupid of the game and instead of hanging up there hat and moving to new games, they go around and around the same treadmill per server.

I still say there is only so much you can do with a Sprite based Game - Would I be happy to battle on with closed source Games (Mir2/Mir3) or would I rather jump on the ever updating Lineage 2 / WoW which look, plays and is better then Mir any day of the week??

Janae

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 18, 2007
I have never really been a low rate player, i played oficial for too long and low rate just bores me, but saying that some high rate's bore me too.

I prefer servers that are faster levelling but at the same time the content must be matched to the rate (I believe this was said before), I would rather see high rate server's be ripped and not have any euro content whatsoever but i doubt that will ever happen...so I can see your point in a way...low rates are just not for me, Med rate I dont mind but low rate is a no no for me.

@Demonic I disagree, I think the pk/pvp system is crap in Lineage it is actually better in Mir to pvp/pk than it is in lineage.

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
back to waiting on the chinese to update us.

Not gonna happen for a few reasons

1) Majority of Chinese interested in Hero Server files which are based around Shanda's version of Mir not Wemades.
2) Every Single Chinese Hero Client is Packed heavily (With Armadillo or Asprotect) Both of these can be unpacked but no one here has the skill myself included. M2Servers are easy to translate regardless of whether they are packed or not
3) Those that do follow Wemades patches use our Source Code but of course don't release said source.

I have spoken to the leaders of a couple of projects in china (One using our Code and one using Hero Files). Both seem interested in creating English Clients but I haven't had much chance to follow it through.

TD I honestly can't picture you quitting lol Maybe slowing down like you have recently but you've always been around in the scene and I can't see that changing. It's your source code so maybe restrict the EXP or level. Might even encourage someone else to pick up the code to get it to your standard.

Personally I'm a high rate fan (I like to see lots of Level Up's lol) but I'll get bored of both Low and High rate servers if I have to spend hours in the same cave killing the same looking monsters to get the same items that I really don't need. Servers need variety and that just doesn't seem to happen.
One of the reasons I enjoyed ROSE is that you kept moving to new areas you were never stuck fighting the same monsters over and over. New Monsters and new maps every few levels.

Shot of one of the projects currently in development in China
shop2.jpg

Last edited:

Killmaster

Legend
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Nov 13, 2003
There are server that have been high rate with no euro mir stuff in them. I can think of a few off the top of my head.

Restricting the making of high rate servers would be a bad idea i think but encouraging people to make low rate ones will be best.
Anything that isnt like euro mir I would play.

Scorpian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 8, 2003
Manchester
The thing is, "high rate" means you basically unlock features of the game faster whereas "low rate" means more effort and time is needed to unlock similar features.
Its simply not fun enough for some people to spend hours in a cave hunting to get to new features. I remember when I first got on a private server and the first thing I wanted was to see all the things I couldnt on euro mir..I didn't want to go killing deer.
I can see how annoying it is spending your personal time coding features like spells then seeing servers handing them out when players begin. Effectively using up the players enjoyment of that feature so they have no incentive to work for it elsewhere..which would be the "low rate" server.
The other thing is people like numbers..small number just dont turn people on like big numbers.

Limiting exp couldnt really work as there are plenty of workarounds (that I can think of anyway).

Provided the server stays online long enough, high rate just means more scope and more variation.

but im sure you all disaggree with me

Killmaster

Legend
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Nov 13, 2003
Milo, that screeenshot is just like the mir3 buy system I'm guessing?