Ranking Discussion

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Hey all,

Seen an interesting change @Sanjian made to his server and was curious to what people thought about this in general (not discussing his server specifically)

What do you guys think about removing rankings from servers?

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
For me all depends on if you have level caps that casuals can achieve?

If u do then the rankings are fine imo.

However if it’s open to Phillipine levellers to bust 24/7 out. Then remove them as it annoys me not being in the top 20.

BUT what i would really prefer is a much more custom ranking page…

Highest max MC DC SC
Highest Boss Kills (not scarecrow count easily abused)
Richest player
Etc etc

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
ill quote what i put on my thread to add to this discussion because its a great question for people to consider

I have also removed ALL ranking from the server as i feel it creats a really unhealthy atmosphere of elitism and removes the enjoyment of just relaxing and playing the game for what it is, so unless someone tells you thier level, your back to shoulderdashing/repulsing to see if your higher :)

hardcores love the ego boost of the rankings, casuals hate the ranking because you get depressed before you even give the server a go, im catering to the casuals so for me it was an easy descision

Reactions: LightBringer

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
That's what made me want to discuss it @Sanjian as it does bring up a really good point.
To me the true hardcore players still know they're top anyway as they go around smashing people, removing this rank just stops the casual's getting demotivated by the 1%.

See we have a lot of rankings (achievement points, card collection, loads of random ones like highest damage, most steps ect).

I feel the big one that puts people off is the level ranking, I feel 'cosmetic/fun' rankings have their place to some extent; just really made me think!

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
ranking is useless imo, on zircon files at least you can look at people etc, its handy as you can see where people level and can possibly try them yourself.

Reactions: Omnibus and zedina

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
ranking is useless imo, on zircon files at least you can look at people etc, its handy as you can see where people level and can possibly try them yourself.
We have the observer system on our files.
We've made it so when you have observer active it provides you with a buff (but then people can see what you are doing / where you are lvling ect)

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Why are you spending so much time worrying about such trivia ?
Create more content, tasks, quests and targets for the real players of your servers, not the freaks who blast through to stupid levels then moan about lack of content for high level players.
The younger element tend to like to fight, have wars etc. so build tournament and war content for them.
The older, long term players tend to like good, long guild hunts with a decent boss at the end and maybe, just maybe a few choice items gained on the hunt with the guild leader decisions to be made on how to distribute them.
Not forgetting solo players who simply want a few hours escaping from a crappy day at work and also a chance of something worthwhile at the end of it
That's Mir, that's what makes Mir the draw that it is.
Make a server that achieves those ideas to atleast some level and you'll have a successful server.

Worry about a handful of oddballs and you're wasting your time.

My two penneth.

Reactions: Belle and Omnibus

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Why are you spending so much time worrying about such trivia ?
Create more content, tasks, quests and targets for the real players of your servers, not the freaks who blast through to stupid levels then moan about lack of content for high level players.
The younger element tend to like to fight, have wars etc. so build tournament and war content for them.
The older, long term players tend to like good, long guild hunts with a decent boss at the end and maybe, just maybe a few choice items gained on the hunt with the guild leader decisions to be made on how to distribute them.
Not forgetting solo players who simply want a few hours escaping from a crappy day at work and also a chance of something worthwhile at the end of it
That's Mir, that's what makes Mir the draw that it is.
Make a server that achieves those ideas to atleast some level and you'll have a successful server.

Worry about a handful of oddballs and you're wasting your time.

My two penneth.
Who's worrying about anything?

This was merely a topic of discussion.

I'm sure ours as well as other's will cater to the wider audience (and multiple types of players), I have no concerns about that.
While I am working hours on the server, I like to have discussions on points I see on the forum / ideas that have been used to see what people's opinions are.

Reactions: Sanjian

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
We have the observer system on our files.
We've made it so when you have observer active it provides you with a buff (but then people can see what you are doing / where you are lvling ect)
So I can log with an alt observing myself and having a buff?

Or you get the buff without having someone else observing you?

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
So I can log with an alt observing myself and having a buff?

Or you get the buff without having someone else observing you?
You have the buff for having the system enabled
You can only toggle observer on/off when in safe zone

Just means you have the choice for an incentive but "exposing" yourself to being tracked as well :)

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
You have the buff for having the system enabled
You can only toggle observer on/off when in safe zone

Just means you have the choice for an incentive but "exposing" yourself to being tracked as well :)
Ah, so is like Zircon observer system. Nice one.

• Love

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Who's worrying about anything?

This was merely a topic of discussion.

I'm sure ours as well as other's will cater to the wider audience (and multiple types of players), I have no concerns about that.
While I am working hours on the server, I like to have discussions on points I see on the forum / ideas that have been used to see what people's opinions are.

The ranking and whether or not it should be included / made available.

To be honest, my response was more towards the replies rather than your initial question.

Lose

Banned
Banned
Aug 13, 2020
ill quote what i put on my thread to add to this discussion because its a great question for people to consider

hardcores love the ego boost of the rankings, casuals hate the ranking because you get depressed before you even give the server a go, im catering to the casuals so for me it was an easy descision
This is true.. there are other things similar to this that have a really negative impact on server moral.

UC tracking is another one that I find is messed up still, it should just be LOW/MED/HIGH like other games do such as WoW.

Gamers have a natural tendency to sway to whatever they THINK it the most popular at the time, with no basis to their decision other than the number of players.

Reactions: Sanjian

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
i agree i also wont be having my UC tracked it can be a ?

EDIT: i dont actually have an afk mechanics in the game, all gathering is from nodes, saying that i do actually broadcast the UC in game so people can see how manys online... so whats the difference reallyy? :/