Routers...

smoochy boys on tour

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
Right well... a problem we are facing at the moment is with ISPs and their **** routers. My BT HomeHub 3 is making multiple connections drop all the time so we keep getting disconnected from things. Annoying to say the least...

If we don't get a better HH 4 or 5 from them for free, then I'm thinking of either moving ISP (although I like BT for usage etc) or buying a decent router which I think would solve the problem, as I have no issues with my line.

By contract BT should replace it for free, but as it's so near the end of ours, they are not really playing ball so 4 weeks dispute still on going, either way if we do get a new router I may just buy another one anyway and flog the less **** but still **** one.

So thus remains the question, Is there anything I should look for in decent routers? Dual band perhaps or?

Anyone recommend any decent priced routers which would be suffice or a little more?

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
It depends really. I have no idea about routers but I did look into the problems I was having with my ps4 and the the virgin router. It seems ps4 can only do 2.4ghz so the dual band thing was not going to solve my problem.

5ghz is great for things like mobile phones and laptops because it has less interference than 2.4 because most household wireless things use 2.4 not just for the Internet ie. Wireless House phone. So the 2.4 range is very cluttered.

Bought homeplugs for my ps4 and everything is great now. No drop outs at all.

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
If they're wifi connections to the router then its almost certainly interference from equipment nearby.
Try changing the channel number.
If it's the connection from the exchange to the router then running a BT fault online can get them to test if there's a problem outside. It could be something as mundane as a tree blowing in the wind or water in the line causing an imbalance.

HH3 is old now and is what I'm still struggling with but BT still issue the same version with different software for business as I had one about 6 months ago.

If you still think the router is buggered, they do die, then perhaps suggest you'll go to virgin or sky for your next contract. That will hopefully put them in the "keep the customer" mode and offer you a better deal, ideally an HH5 which is actually reviewed as one of the fastest wifi boxes out there.