Where is it all going wrong?

Valhalla

Nexus Mir Developer
Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
We should arrange a pump and dump mir style and see if we can get the p69 user count to the moon once more!

On a serious note, can we please remove p69 from the user count listing, seeing my beloved Banshee user count being beaten by a 20-year-old server at periods of the day is a real kick in the danglies :ROFLMAO:
p69 had 100+ players 2 weeks ago too ;)

Was weird seeing Arcadia, p69, AND Archons all at 99 users at the same time though then dropping back down to 0 an hour later...

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

Was weird seeing Arcadia, p69, AND Archons all at 99 users at the same time though then dropping back down to 0 an hour later...

It's just a glitch because all 3 servers are on the same host. Drop the ******* conspiracy already 😒

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: zedina and Lose

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Val planning his next comment

Reactions: Tai

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
We should arrange a pump and dump mir style and see if we can get the p69 user count to the moon once more!

On a serious note, can we please remove p69 from the user count listing, seeing my beloved Banshee user count being beaten by a 20-year-old server at periods of the day is a real kick in the danglies :ROFLMAO:

20 years of £5 UC payments? That’s like £1200. That GM deserves a reward surely

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Perhaps, LOMCN should team up with server owners and promote their server for a month, and offer some of Tais £5 donation money to owner, to supplrement reduced Gameshop fees for the month - Then we could artifically spike so many server usercounts :D

horton

Bitter Berry
Dedicated Member
Sep 17, 2007
Euro mir discouraged PK. There were no Pk reduction scrolls. Making real life money from PK drops happens. Loud minority who play to make money put off all the other people who might play if more casually. Let's face it most mir players grew up since 2002 and unless make money from playing dont have the time to compete with the "core" money makers. The awful usa mir did a compulsory survey on account creation. High user count. Less than 25% responders played for the fights. The rest played for the "mir as chatroom with something to do" sometimes dying cos they laughing so much. What happened to that? Do you see players from FoH, TrueFamily and such around any more?

sweetfa

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 30, 2003
UK
Euro mir discouraged PK. There were no Pk reduction scrolls. Making real life money from PK drops happens. Loud minority who play to make money put off all the other people who might play if more casually. Let's face it most mir players grew up since 2002 and unless make money from playing dont have the time to compete with the "core" money makers. The awful usa mir did a compulsory survey on account creation. High user count. Less than 25% responders played for the fights. The rest played for the "mir as chatroom with something to do" sometimes dying cos they laughing so much. What happened to that? Do you see players from FoH, TrueFamily and such around any more?
even the original FOH had its main pkers back in the day. Like euro days....Sigh that takes me so far back
to when i was an old man....Oh wait.....

Omnibus

Banned
Banned
Dec 9, 2021
even the original FOH had its main pkers back in the day. Like euro days....Sigh that takes me so far back
to when i was an old man....Oh wait.....
There were guilds that forbid you being a pker meaning going red meant you were dismissed from the Guild.

Others let you pk as much as you like.

Some guys had a main character then a character they would use for pking and be red forever.

There was that one guy who was red for so long and after a year or something he was white.

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
You all bang on about gameshops and cash cow servers like its new and "this is the end" but its been like this since the beginning.
was lots of early servers that sold items, they perhaps just did it more secretly instead of in the form of a public gameshop.
Somewhere along the road the gameshop became "accepted" by the community altho that didnt stop backdoor deals.

Players say they dont want "pay to win" with "cash cow" gameshops, but even if the server was truely free to play (no, not elite with its VIP package) and no gameshop etc, NEWS FLASH, the game would STILL be PAY TO WIN.
- pay someone to level them
- buy items privately
then what? you complain to the GM to to ban these people? ok well thats 2 people gone from the server, and then many more to follow as a lot of the user base play to earn by selling these things privately.

The only way to truely eliminate P2W is to remove any form of trade and make everything personal loot / soulbound. But then you ruin the heart of what is a MMORPG. Why do you think many games these days have soulbound, personal loot, no trading etc. not because they want to make the game better but because they want you to spend money in THEIR GAMESHOP, not private.

Anyway, players aint the only problem on this forum, its the server owners as well being toxic towards others. Quick to call others names and stuff yet probably 10x worse themselves. Like a certain server owner that attacked me recently and then I read some gigantic thread about them playing the game and being corrupt (oh how I'm not surprised at all.)

I personally thought by now people would be more grown up but i guess the keyboard warrior never truly leaves some of us.

Reactions: Ardbeg and Sanjian

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I've never been against anything GS Wise; my main gripe was always making it 'fair' I guess.

Main thing that bugs me is when GS have whatever in, but then GMs sell items secretly, just put them in the GS if you want to sell ****.

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
I've never been against anything GS Wise; my main gripe was always making it 'fair' I guess.

Main thing that bugs me is when GS have whatever in, but then GMs sell items secretly, just put them in the GS if you want to sell ****.
Life aint fair. Why do people think the game world is going to be any different when it basically plays by the same rules?
MMORPGs aint single player games.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Life aint fair. Why do people think the game world is going to be any different when it basically plays by the same rules?
MMORPGs aint single player games.
By fair I don't mean it's contents.

By fair I mean you get 'value' for your money.
Paying 3 quid for an hour buff is not 'fair'.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
The only indeed. Couldn't have said it better myself!

Money is the problem. Players expecting server teams to operate like companies because they're charging coin like companies. I've just been accused of being corrupt for taking £5 payments for the u/c display, so it's easy to imagine what players think of GM's who are taking thousands of pounds 😂

It's not sustainable but I don't see there's any going back now. Players want to be able to P2W as much as GM's want to make money for their work. This is the beginning of the end imo.

Think you're missing my point. Which is the toxic cycle of players wanting more and more from GM's because GM's are taking more and more $ from the players, to the point where they expect a level of professionality and return on their "investment" that is simply not possible because you are not a company and this is not a regulated industry. You can and will **** off and leave at any given moment and there is no recourse for the players (other than chargebacks). So it's just perpetuating this discord (excuse the pun) between players and GM's across the board.

And the question was, where is it going wrong and what's the solution? But I see it as a NWO situation.

Last edited:

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Got nothing against Gameshops these days.
Things have evolved and it's no longer sustainable to host on a machine at home as this brings many problems - Plus back in the day a server would have maybe max 50 UC? If that.
We now have to be prepared for the first days and weeks mass influx. Therefore more power, bandwidth etc is required to sustain good performance. So a dedi server required for most.

That brings cost, per month and something the owners have to be prepared to pay out of their own pocket. It's only right they have the opportunity to get something back for that.
It also keeps the team more interested in the server if they are at least making something out of it or at least covering the costs.

We as a community also benefit from the above as some server devs will release some features they have implemented or are willing to help others add similar features, thus boosting our base set of files helping the next guy come along and release a server etc etc - Knock on effect.

My problem is some of the prices on items these days.
£5 for an EXP Pot that lasts no longer than a day
£10 a week for some "Premium features" which include faster lvling in "Premium caves"
£10 pick up pet, which as daft as it sounds are very handy and give some advantage
£££ "gaming" features to get better items, or loot boxes that *can* contain something.

These are not example of current prices, but you get the gist.

LOMCN are not here to dictate what server can or cannot sell, or how much they can sell something for. We're also not here to tell players how much things should cost or how much they can spend.
It's the community that should boycott said servers, that's the only way to counter it.