private mir situation:

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Supporter
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Well WHEN i've finished all my newest set of maps (gave up on last one due to new set of files. I will be looking for somebody to put it into a LowRate server :P. I love lowrates, but so many people cba to do quests or things besides lvling. I got lots of quest ideas for my maps, nearly all provinces have a quest based on them. If any1 in interested pm me, but i would like you to have some experiance.

Perebble

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.atomicide.com
I'm sort of in between. I'll play whatever takes my fancy. I don't take much notice of exp, it's mostly about content.

The more successful servers back in the day (such as FrOzEn / WeOwn), although people may say it was because of the community or exp, the amount of stuff added that no one had seen or experienced was immense.

The thing I dislike about most servers is the slow start, being the main reason I tend to like servers which are faster until around 22-26 (exp, skill and items wise).

Doubt it would be such a good idea to have an exp limit. Maybe something elsewhere which would prevent people from being thoughtless and simple about things.

Can't be bothered typing any more <3.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Milo i got the base into unleashed for that the shop list displayed correct etc would be better if i had more images though =p

And high rate blows...

Perebble

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.atomicide.com
Milo i got the base into unleashed for that the shop list displayed correct etc would be better if i had more images though =p

And high rate blows...
The reason I said I don't think it would be a good idea is because if you limit exp, I'm guessing you're also stopping people changing exp needed per level, which may not be such a good idea.

turboshandy

ur a smacktard!
VIP
May 11, 2005
Great Yarmouth/Cambridge
i think its hilarious how the human mind works,

Take my servers, ive got a low rate and a high rate, the people on my high rate who are level 800+ are virtually in the same position that the 100+ people on my low rate are, only difference is... 800 looks bigger.

As both of our servers have the same quests etc the level 800's are doing the same quests as the level 100's on LR server and getting just as far with them not doing them any quicker, because our quests are about skill and thought rather than levels.

I think a blanket ban on HR servers wouldnt work but as a server owner i would like to see some sort of competency test in order to advertise here.
E.g a certain amount of uptime, and limit the number of servers someone can host as there are 2 people going round and round making server after server at the moment and people are getting screwed out of their money and out of there time,
I think this in itself would replenish the community even if it is just a little bit, and tbh if a few 10 year olds are going to get narky about it and say ' omgz I'm leaving lomcn innit and im taking my bad attitude and my poor grammar and my 7 failed servers that are all high rate but i cant even make my gates work ' .......then surely thats a good thing right ?

Also when posting an ad for a server, how about it having to be verified by a mod or something and checked against well known idiots ip's before the public can see it,

Sure high rate servers are killing the community, and the game is being played to the death, but how about some of the lower rate server hosts giving something for higher rate players to do, as far as i know, i know of only 1 other server apart from mine which has added things that have made me say o0o0o, thats good.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
No exp needed should be changeable imo instead of upping exp people shoul create custom exp tables no just set exp to x150.

As i agree some levels require alot of exp and i find boring but if you add alot of new things to mir and make the content great people wont get bored but alot of people cant be arsed todo this becuase its easier just setting exp rate to 50-200x

Janae

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 18, 2007
i think its hilarious how the human mind works,

Take my servers, ive got a low rate and a high rate, the people on my high rate who are level 800+ are virtually in the same position that the 100+ people on my low rate are, only difference is... 800 looks bigger.

As both of our servers have the same quests etc the level 800's are doing the same quests as the level 100's on LR server and getting just as far with them not doing them any quicker, because our quests are about skill and thought rather than levels.

I think a blanket ban on HR servers wouldnt work but as a server owner i would like to see some sort of competency test in order to advertise here.
E.g a certain amount of uptime, and limit the number of servers someone can host as there are 2 people going round and round making server after server at the moment and people are getting screwed out of their money and out of there time,
I think this in itself would replenish the community even if it is just a little bit, and tbh if a few 10 year olds are going to get narky about it and say ' omgz I'm leaving lomcn innit and im taking my bad attitude and my poor grammar and my 7 failed servers that are all high rate but i cant even make my gates work ' .......then surely thats a good thing right ?

Also when posting an ad for a server, how about it having to be verified by a mod or something and checked against well known idiots ip's before the public can see it,

Sure high rate servers are killing the community, and the game is being played to the death, but how about some of the lower rate server hosts giving something for higher rate players to do, as far as i know, i know of only 1 other server apart from mine which has added things that have made me say o0o0o, thats good.

Totally agree about the server ad checks bit, and if im being blunt....the 10 year olds bit was humourous.....but i can see your point on that....really like the ad checks bit though, it would prevent half of these servers come up and go down a week later.....it might even stop some of the flaming on this forum too (well we can hope).

thedeath

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 26, 2003
tbh i would never bother to put exp limitations on the files
if i did bother to put some form of limit on it then i'd do something like put a limit to which servers can use the files
and add in an a crash code for the servers that shouldnt be using the files

Elvin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 14, 2003
middlesex
i agree high exp is pants but there is a few servers out there that have lower than *5 and Hell is one of em and that has a 10-30 player count most days which isnt bad for a low rate server.
and atm its in the middle of adding some nice new maps and mobs etc etc to it like these

~Shogun~

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 2, 2005
UK
Nemesis is a progressive rate server we don't go by any x euro spec settings as the level increase's so does the exp to match the level.

We are in theory a low rate server but also a balanced one with a long term plan.

Ripman

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jul 22, 2003
Romania, Timisoara
Izar is a long term server with medium exp, i am hosting mir from about 3 years+ and i am working using TD`s files to bring it up again.

If you say mir has no future, ur wrong, maybe servers dont have 200 ppl online but are few ppl who like to play mir and never get bored. i am building a server for this kind....and i know because lots of ppl emailed me + phoned + stopped me on the street asking me when the server is up.

Mir will always be a game that ppl will play, this is because u cant replace mir with other game.

Mir is a 8 year old game...unique in gameplay and pvp....and still not dead....

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
low rate = euro

med/high rate = priv servers

ppl dont want things that resemble euro... they want something easier... every1s been there and done the hours appon hours of lvlin on euro. ppl wanan be new lvls like lvl60 or something.. new hp etc...

theres no reason why high rate cant be as good as low rate... u just need 2 put some caps on certain spells like curse / fw / psn etc....

i dunno why u hate low rate death, but its silly... with ur codin skills u could make 1 of the best med/high rate servers around that would get so many ppl online.

even at like x15/20 exp loads would join.... personally id say thats low-med exp... high would be x75-100+

personally i think ur skills are wasted on low rate servers, but tahts my opinion :/

MoaningMurtle

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Untited Kingdom
There is no reason for a server to go over x100 EXP

Let me spell it out... A server does not consist of EXP altho every single bloody nnob always says about EXP.

Every to do with a server is done by the Database cuz wnat your really aiming for is a goal within the database.

Think about it, you could have a x1000 EXP server but no new items will level 500. Thus the EXP is not the problem. Its late and hard for me to explaine my point...

you could have a high rate server with an item for level 100 thats got DC 45-50. Then you could have a low rate server with an item for level 45 with dc 45-50 whats the differnce from you leveling 5 levels on a low rate server your item stats will still be the same.

Bah im pissin myself off trying to explaine that its not the server EXP rate that makes the server its actually the Database and the gap between levels.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
I prefer all types of Low, Med and High Rate servers.

But here are the problems i have with each type...

Low Rate:
These servers in 99% of the time, will have Euro items (e.g. HeavyArmour, ExpelRings etc) and they don't add their own content untill about Lv.40. Now leveling on a low rate untill Lv.40+ will just waste my time untill im able to enjoy what they've added, and for all i know, it could be crap and i've of watsed my time.

Med Rate:
Again, the same problem, they start with euro items. These 'Med' classed exp as they think they are still take a long time, except this time, the items start at Lv.50+ for the simple fact their set exp is like 2-3x higher than a low rate, in my opinion, still takes for ages to get their for new content.

High Rate:
Right now, since there are in fact no actual brilliant, top notch servers, i play these. Although their content starts at Lv.40-50, it doesn't take very long to get their, so i wouldn't have wasted a great deal of my time to experience new content, and if i don't like it, it wouldn't matter since it didnt take long, i could just find another.

That is why right now, my mood is set to High Rates, because Low and Med servers out now aren't worth my time.

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
I think most of this has been said already but I believe that people play HR private servers because LR take more time and commitment.

They want to experience the features of the game and the server as soon as possxible after starting, as most private servers lack longevity. If it is easier to get items it is easier to be competitive with friends for the highest level and best kit on a day to day basis.

If they wanted to comit to a LR server then they would prefer being able to rely on it being up permanently. Risking spending hours on a LR server that will go down and never come back before you even get half the skills is no fun.

There is no happy medium. No common ground. The best two options available are progressive rate servers, and twin LR/HR servers run in parallel.

MoaningMurtle

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 4, 2007
Untited Kingdom
I think what everyone is trying to say is they would actually play a LR server if half of the people who develop a server wasn't so eager to put it online and actually spent time on customizing the game and its gameplay.

On the other hand we don't want server like that have been advertised in the past and take a year to make but never actually go online. LR is very much like Euro from level 0-40 which is why people get bored of them very easy..

"Been there, Done that, Got the T-****" So to speak.

thedeath

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 26, 2003
i think the best part of all of this 'feedback' is that basicaly if high rate servers
didnt have the features ppl would actionly consider playing lr ones

so i'm defently gonna be taking a look at making sure servers i clasify as high rate wont be using new features :p