My first MIR experience.

NewBlood

Natural Selection
Golden Oldie
Apr 22, 2003
Manchester
My first Mir experience came during the end of beta phase. The Game Network TV show peaked my interest. Remember the old dial up 56k modems that would disconnect you ever two hours? Yeah, that was me too. It took two or three days to download a 300MB file, I resumed through all the night to make sure I could play ASAP.

Post installation and login, I spawn at the most Southern town of Bichon (forgot the name) and I am awfully confused. The TV showed real people interacting and so I proceed to stand there next to a player, asking for help, becoming frustrated and launching an attack. He killed me in one hit.

That player was a Guard.

My entire life changed at that moment and I felt true addiction. School was secondary, exams ment nothing and all that mattered was e-credit on a digital game on the internet. It consumed me. I've lived a fortunate life in many ways and it is all thanks to Legend of Mir. I have memories that'll be with me to the day I die.

I was mocked and ridiculed by friends and family at certain periods due to my addiction but the irony is years later the same people would have friends login to their Facebook accounts to tend to their crops on silly FB games. Lol.

There is something unique about that first MMO that captivates you. I've never felt "that" feeling from any other game.

Thanks for reading.
I had something similar, I watched the show and just loved everything about it. I only had pc access at my dads house on weekends at first so I never got anywhere but I still enjoyed all of it.
I played as a mage for ages untill my account got hacked and deleted then someone told me about private and it all went on from there.

played other mmos since, nothing ever hits the same

SPL1FF

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Banshee
Game Master
Mar 24, 2003
I had something similar, I watched the show and just loved everything about it. I only had pc access at my dads house on weekends at first so I never got anywhere but I still enjoyed all of it.
I played as a mage for ages untill my account got hacked and deleted then someone told me about private and it all went on from there.

"played other mmos since, nothing ever hits the same"
That comment there is true for so many people. I've tried other games but nothing ever keeps my interest like mir has and will. I have given up trying new games, mir is my game and that's that!

Reactions: mistodon

NewBlood

Natural Selection
Golden Oldie
Apr 22, 2003
Manchester
That comment there is true for so many people. I've tried other games but nothing ever keeps my interest like mir has and will. I have given up trying new games, mir is my game and that's that!
I want to play again but ive been gone so many years I dont know where to start. Ive been trying to read through the forum but its alot of files or versions ive never heard of

SPL1FF

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Banshee
Game Master
Mar 24, 2003
I want to play again but ive been gone so many years I dont know where to start. Ive been trying to read through the forum but its alot of files or versions ive never heard of
If you haven’t played in years I would recommend starting with Artificial / Elite to get you back into it. Plenty to learn but both solid servers.

NewBlood

Natural Selection
Golden Oldie
Apr 22, 2003
Manchester
I downloaded the client for vintage I think it was and had a quick mess about.

I originally just was going to see about getting old files and hosting an offline one for a nostalgia trip but couldn't find a working link, I think ive still got files on an old harddrive but there probably 1.4 was it? I forget versions now.

Still, It was nice to be able to increase resolution and go widescreen. probably normal for everyone but a hell of a change from years back for me :D

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
My first memory of this game was my dad letting me play his wizard on (I think) Dragon Server.

Was called xyz123 - he came back an hour later with a red name with a **** ton of PK points, fair to say he regretted it but it got me hooked!.

I then ended up being child labour on his warrior for the easter event, farming hens for him when he was doing other bits (I loved it) - me and my brother took turns, ended up getting him jmace, BIH, I think a para or tele ring (cant remember properly).

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Those digital weddings were so embarrassing. If you took part in one, shame on you.
Emotion Reaction GIF

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
I never did the fake wedding thing but i did have a mir gf when i was like 9 and i used to stand next to her outside book shop. One day she started standing next to somebody else and I was heart broken
Say what???

This true?

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
The betrayal still haunts me to this day
Sorry to hear mate.

You can move on from that.

I remember catfish incidents from Euro including one who lost his head and got banned after posting insults etc. Was hilarious.

Tom27

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 15, 2005
Norwich
Am I misremembering but didn't a player in Asia kill an IRL friend/Mir buddy over a SoulSabre?

Whilst we're talking Mir memories, I recall being 12 or 13 maybe and my friend ringing me as my family got back from shopping with a maccies... He'd put in "easy" "easy" on a P69 log in and it was a character named Admin100 or something. He was freaking because it was level 100 but had no kit or gold. Ran around the high level WT area T-Storming people to death having no idea we'd 'hacked' a GM.

Took about 3/4 days as Scorp was on holiday to get banned. Half of that we didn't know the GM commands as he'd remapped them to @1 @2 @3 etc.

Reactions: Tai

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Am I misremembering but didn't a player in Asia kill an IRL friend/Mir buddy over a SoulSabre?

Whilst we're talking Mir memories, I recall being 12 or 13 maybe and my friend ringing me as my family got back from shopping with a maccies... He'd put in "easy" "easy" on a P69 log in and it was a character named Admin100 or something. He was freaking because it was level 100 but had no kit or gold. Ran around the high level WT area T-Storming people to death having no idea we'd 'hacked' a GM.

Took about 3/4 days as Scorp was on holiday to get banned. Half of that we didn't know the GM commands as he'd remapped them to @1 @2 @3 etc.

https://www.theinternetpatrol.com/gamer-killed-over-virtual-legend-of-mir-3-sword/ Yep, i think it was a SS although it doesnt mention i dont think
Post automatically merged:

I cant find it but im 100% certain Legend of Mir 3 also appeared in Guinness book of records for the sale of an item i think

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
https://www.theinternetpatrol.com/gamer-killed-over-virtual-legend-of-mir-3-sword/ Yep, i think it was a SS although it doesnt mention i dont think
Post automatically merged:

I cant find it but im 100% certain Legend of Mir 3 also appeared in Guinness book of records for the sale of an item i think
That's why you shouldn't lend things to friends.

I remember how many people lost their heads on Euro over being conned. Even I conned someone on a noob out of a skill necklace with my mate. We impersonated their storage character using j or capital I interns of a letter l.

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury
I was told it was a DSS, the one guy sold it for IRL then got stabbed up, karma is a bitch lol.

I remember a guy who used to give me free **** all the time and i wasn't one to complain. We used to text each other quite often about mir and then he rang me while he was in the bath. That quickly ended the friendship lmao

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
I was told it was a DSS, the one guy sold it for IRL then got stabbed up, karma is a bitch lol.

I remember a guy who used to give me free **** all the time and i wasn't one to complain. We used to text each other quite often about mir and then he rang me while he was in the bath. That quickly ended the friendship lmao
Many people quit Mir over losing digital stuff.

D server had so much drama, can recall how many names I remember.