Rest in peace to a legend!

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
Sadly today at 4:12pm EST John Schwartz better known as @IceMan passed away.

We would like to give our condolences to his family and friends.
Iceman has been an active member since 2003 and at a time was a staff member within this community, releasing a handful of long-running servers.

He helped a lot of people throughout his time here and he will be sadly missed.

Rest in peace to an absolute legend.
❤️

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
What a hit to the community.

Was always there for any daft questions I had, also was because of him I came across @StormHero !

Rest in peace buddy, sending all my love and condolences to his family
<3

Reactions: Wummy

wumatica

RandomHero
Golden Oldie
Nov 21, 2007
****! Have seen this name on the forums since I was a kid.... RiP

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Very sad news, one of the icons of the forum, won't be quite the same without him. Brought tears to my eyes.

Reactions: Tai

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
Rest in peace @IceMan , really Mir2 hardcore fan, he indeed loved the game, always was up to something or a project.

Reactions: Wummy

Lilcooldoode

LOMCN Developer
Developer
May 10, 2003
Yes
Have had to write this in chunks over several hours where I've had to step away from the PC to catch my breath and wipe my eyes so my kids don't see me cry

I had a unique bond with John that I won't/haven't had with anyone else in the mir community. We spoke almost daily from way back in the RubyM2 days, right up until recently when he went in to hospital. I was 17 when i started working on Ruby, I am now 34 - although he lived on the other side of the world and I never met him in person it feels like I have lost a family member.

More often than not he was a complete dumbass, he had learning difficulties and there were several times I would correct him when he misspelt a word, he would say "OK", and then continue to misspell it (probably on purpose to irritate me lol), but despite his learning difficulties he carried on and for many years was determined to learn how to read and write the C# code, He never did fully get it but it was inspiring to see the small breakthroughs of understanding he had.

He may not have been the best GM, or the most responsible with other peoples files, or pick the best team members to work with him, but his passion for Mir and making things authentic was unmatched, and he would help anybody here with anything when it came to Mir - all of the recent-ish newcomers have said to me at 1 point "IceMan helped me with.....".

I can't describe enough how much of a hole this leaves in me personally as well as the Mir community as a whole, there will never be another person like him. He would have been 42 in a few weeks time, taken so young.

Rest in peace my friend
1683353141180.png

Edit: John was the dude, not the bird

Last edited:

blazee

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 3, 2012
Sad to hear I've seen his name around this forum for aslong as I can remember.

Some nice words LCD icey would be proud I'm sure

May he rest in eternal peace.