New stance on cheats etc

Where do we draw the line on cheating, chargebacks, dox'ing and faking usercount?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
Oh boy that's a tough one, but if I had to choose... Don't police anything.

The way I see it there's no point policing anything. It's literally pointless.

Cheating - Server owners responsibility.
Hacking - User's responsibility, don't use the same password.

Faking User count - Eh, its shitty but worse case scenario is someone new tries a server that they might not have otherwise because user count was high (and then gets disappointed) .
Charging Back - I'm moving away from PayPal in favour of accepting crypto currency/direct transfer because of charge backs.. and honestly, banning someone here won't change their personality so its a rewardless endeavour.

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
Won't be voting, both **** options and ******* with gameplay should be still appropriately dealt with. **** the crying few that want to get away with that kind of bullshit.

Reactions: StormHero

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Police nothing, save your headache.

The whole community know what they want regardless.

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
Police nothing, save your headache.

The Police usually dig up a thing called evidence and not a collection of "opinions from friends = assumptions+time = "fact" ".

Additionally the Police have the infastructure and laws to help them unearth quality evidence.

LOMCN should actually use its community of adults to help settle "unruly" server makers, instead of enforcing it all by themselves, which basically equates to LOMCN is the parent (and not the spoiling kind!) and its registered users are the children, a sad and depressing experience for pretty much all.

This site is done for if server makers and users dwindle, moderation should just focus extreme cases of abuse. Strict moderation has always proven to be the wrong direction for growth, look at Reddit, it has existed for years but it cannot grow due to mods thinking that over-protecting is what the mass majority of adults need...they are not children, do not treat them as such.

Reactions: Hercules and Lose

MasterD

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 27, 2003
Police nothing, let the community decide. If the server owner is good enough they should be able to protect from most of the above, if the user isn't stupid they should be able to protect themselves from hacking/exploitation.

I'm sure LOCMN would be able to assist any server owner if they are struggling.

Robert

Actual Jesus
VIP
Jan 1, 1970
Yes.
For those of you who can’t believe this thread is even a thing…I think that proves what @Tai has been trying to say all along.

Those that voted Valk to be back, are by proxy promoting or accepting these behaviours.

• Love
Reactions: MentaL and Tai

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
We unban one and allow him to advertise, we have to do the same for everyone else. It cannot be one rule for one and another rule for everyone else.
We're a community driven forum and we're listening to the community. You want the "choice" of which server you play, then go ahead. At the endo f the day it's you, the players who are funding all these "cash cows" by pumping money into their wallets at every given opportunity.

Lets see how it goes - I would love it, love it, if I can come back in a few months time and say "I told you so".

Over and out, time for a free for all.

Reactions: MentaL

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
I would love it, love it, if I can come back in a few months time and say "I told you so".

You would love it if people were incapable of handling themselves?

Many people support Valk, that is clear from the last thread, it is ok to be wrong over 1 thing and keep doing what you're doing.

Jamie's post is enough common sense and experience for this thread, apply it.

syke

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 24, 2011
Jamie’s post says it all.

User and hosts choice if they don’t play/ban. The last few months LOMCN just seems a road show for arguments and rules enforced non consistently personally. There’s always something that people can complain about for every server owner… and the same for every player.

Just let the community **** themselves around.

CheekyVimto

It's my Precious!
Veteran
Mar 8, 2005
I'll not be voting as the options are not exactly reflective of a choice that makes sense to server owners, it seems more player-centric.

However, as a server owner, I believe that most of the issues mentioned should be handled at an individual level by each server owner. Problems such as cheating, chargebacks, etc. are user-level issues and should be dealt with as the server owner sees fit. It's not fair to expect staff at LOMCN to spend time monitoring such problems.

Fake user counts are a concern that falls within the domain of server owners, and I would expect LOMCN to step in only if it becomes a major issue. Since LOMCN manages server status and user counts via MirTracks, it is reasonable to flag such problems from an LOMCN level. [In My Opinion] It is unfair to both the server owners who support LOMCN financially and to LOMCN as a whole if user counts are artificially inflated.

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
I hate to say it but let them get on with it, save all the LOMCN staff the headaches and drama.

If server owners want to let people cheat, do under the table deals etc it only causes themselves harm as it's always so obvious whos doing it and the word spreads very quickly.

Ultimately it should come down to the server owners to decide the fate of their userbase, look at the last few servers that have released recently, things come out, people see what's going on, get pissed off, then they come here and vent to let the community know what's been going on.

Some people will always continue to give them developers a chance in the future but from what I read/see from the last few those guys won't get another penny or minute of me logging onto their servers and I will always warn friends that mention they might be jumping onto those "types" of servers.

thedeath

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 26, 2003
i obviously voted allow all but dos, problem is you're not really allowing it> you're just not the one who's wasting time trying to keep it fair and make the decision on who gets punished.

as jamie said:
- server owners should be responsible for preventing cheats + dealing with catching them and all
- both server owners and users are responsible for the chargebacks. it's true ppl shouldnt do chargebacks, but it's also true that server owners shouldnt be trying to turn their server into a bussines that is all about short term high income cash cows.

in the end maybe the better option would be to have a rule that says you cant 'advertise' cheats/ ways to chargeback / ... on the forum.
but not be the ones dealing with stuff that happens on a random server.

Reactions: Pusha

sweetfa

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 30, 2003
UK
You shouldnt be policing the "Cheaters" That is the job of the server owners really. If they cant be bothered doing it then thats on them. Labeling some one a cheater on here does nothing really as there are no restrictions/punishments other than the label. They can still go onto servers and cheat all beit under diferent names so in theory it achieves nothing, it is just extra work for the mods on here

Lilcooldoode

LOMCN Developer
Developer
May 10, 2003
Yes
If they're labeled as cheaters/untrusted then they're not allowed to advertise their server on here.

Thats what the poll was about - "should they be allowed to advertise?", not "should we be banning them outright?"

Helloyou

LOMCN Member
Aug 9, 2020
lets just hope once valk is online people give him a taste of his own medicine, with all his dodge dealings cheating doxing nd what not wont vote.

the end is near.

syke

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 24, 2011
Win posting saying about the policing being corrupt/doing what they want just being banned and deleted kind of says it all. (And proves his point)

It’s a forum for mir servers. Let the makers deal with what their servers and the users instead of trying to ‘police’ it when suits.

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004

Faking User count - Eh, its shitty but worse case scenario is someone new tries a server that they might not have otherwise because user count was high (and then gets disappointed) .
Charging Back - I'm moving away from PayPal in favour of accepting crypto currency/direct transfer because of charge backs.. and honestly, banning someone here won't change their personality so its a rewardless endeavour.
Whens the new server coming?

Also i didn't vote since those 2 new options only really appeal to those that voted to unban valk in the first place.

Reactions: mistodon

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Win posting saying about the policing being corrupt/doing what they want just being banned and deleted kind of says it all. (And proves his point)

It’s a forum for mir servers. Let the makers deal with what their servers and the users instead of trying to ‘police’ it when suits.

Yes quite. It's called a self fulflling prophecy - look it up

How black and white! Oh so simple.

Are we OK to allow cheats to be shared and published on the forum then too 🙏

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.